VTTW Board Index
May 10, 2024, 01:37:38 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Football topic  (Read 2111 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2014, 06:53:54 EDT »

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/02/ranking_the_rankers_revisiting.html

This article is okay...I have seen better attempts to analyze the results of recruiting and tie it to success or failure. but this article does present some evidence that recruiting rankings are literally about "50-50".  For instance, it states that there were as many 5 stars in the All American rankings last year as two stars.

But my main point is, look at the top of both Rivals and Scout.   Just re-enforcing what I have been endlessly saying...one team is a CONSENSUS no. 1, other teams are all over the map.  And just ranking the teams 1-20 over four years does not show the whole picture  Though Florida OVERALL was no. 2 at rivals the last 4 years, their four year rankings are actually:

2,12,3, 4, or an average of 4.25

Bammer's are 5, 1,1,1 for an average of 2.00

That's a fairly significant difference, but realize that 2010 was an anomaly for bammer.

They have been no. 1 6 of the last 7 years, which is simply astonishing.

Final note...currently Tennessee is no. 5 at Rivals for 2015 with nine commits.  Go Butch!   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 09:58:34 EDT »

As it relates to our situation, I think it would be more relevant to look at the All-SEC teams, as opposed to AA teams.  Case in point- Jordan Lynch.  He wasn't recruited by any of the big boys, and he ran up big numbers at NIU against inferior competition.  He probably wouldn't have even seen the field much in the SEC, but he's an AA in the MAC.  It seems that a lot of the 3* and lower AAs historically come from weaker conferences.  There are exceptions, such as Michael Sam.  But even in his case, there are extenuating circumstances- to wit, an historically weak SEC East this past season.  Would he have had the same type of year if UT were up to snuff, and UGA and UF weren't crippled by injury?

If you can pick out those diamonds in the rough and develop them, that's a very good thing.  Early returns look positive for Butch Jones in this regard- Emmanuel Mosely, a 2* whom many of us (I'm guilty) questioned whether he was even worth a scholly, is really turning heads in spring practice and is currently listed as a starter on the depth chart.  Guys like that (the under-recruited overachievers) typically serve as inspiration to the rest of the team, and if you can find them and develop them well, they're worth their weight in gold.

But at the end of the day, I'd rather take my chances with a team of mostly 4 and 5 stars, as opposed to 2's and 3's.  We went down that road with Dooley, and we know where it leads.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 04:01:54 EDT »

But at the end of the day, I'd rather take my chances with a team of mostly 4 and 5 stars, as opposed to 2's and 3's.  We went down that road with Dooley, and we know where it leads.

Agree...but so far Butch is bringing them in, and FWIW at this early date, next year looks fine also.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
RipleyVol12
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 04:13:27 EDT »

Any truth to the rumor that Jarnell might play football this fall back if he comes back for his senior season?

GO VOLS!!!   
Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 06:50:37 EDT »

Any truth to the rumor that Jarnell might play football this fall back if he comes back for his senior season?

GO VOLS!!!   

He wants to talk to the coaches about it. Whether they would actually allow it remains to be seen. And whether he could actually contribute remains to be seen. But I daydream about him catching a TD pass against Florida in Neyland Stadium.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: