VTTW Board Index
May 15, 2024, 03:57:57 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: And here...we...go.  (Read 1914 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 24, 2019, 05:09:13 EDT »

Grain of salt required, but...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/82rqADkfGGw" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/82rqADkfGGw</a>

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 05:30:39 EDT »

Nah. Phil doesn't have the political capital to make a move. The AD will go if the coach is replaced. Fulmer better hope Pruitt succeeds.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 05:37:22 EDT »

Nah. Phil doesn't have the political capital to make a move. The AD will go if the coach is replaced. Fulmer better hope Pruitt succeeds.

I think you're right. Fulmer won't get to make the next hire. One good thing about this rumor, if true, is that it would suggest that Fulmer isn't planning on taking the job himself.

Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 06:08:35 EDT »

The AD will go if the coach is replaced.

Should go. I'm not convinced he will. I think he has more political capital than any of us think.

And let's pretend for a moment that Brooks is right. I'm skeptical, but just for argument's sake ... if Fulmer came to the table with a big fish that Manning had helped him land, some of his biggest skeptics whose opinion matters would become some of his biggest supporters. In fact, it's the scenario that actually makes this report somewhat plausible. Fulmer knows that he's losing the fan base every time Pruitt stumbles (which is pretty much every Saturday at this point), so he might be trying to head this thing off so that he can save his job. Remember what Thamel said this past weekend: Fulmer has spent his entire career angling for Fulmer ... sacrificing Pruitt wouldn't be beyond what he's capable of. Thamel's column was a brutal kick to the sack, but I don't think it was altogether inaccurate.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 06:12:29 EDT by Creek Walker » Logged
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 06:20:56 EDT »

Should go. I'm not convinced he will. I think he has more political capital than any of us think.

And let's pretend for a moment that Brooks is right. I'm skeptical, but just for argument's sake ... if Fulmer came to the table with a big fish that Manning had helped him land, some of his biggest skeptics whose opinion matters would become some of his biggest supporters. In fact, it's the scenario that actually makes this report somewhat plausible. Fulmer knows that he's losing the fan base every time Pruitt stumbles (which is pretty much every Saturday at this point), so he might be trying to head this thing off so that he can save his job. Remember what Thamel said this past weekend: Fulmer has spent his entire career angling for Fulmer ... sacrificing Pruitt wouldn't be beyond what he's capable of. Thamel's column was a brutal kick to the sack, but I don't think it was altogether inaccurate.

Political capital is how Fulmer got the AD job. One that IMO he should have never been given and one that he will leave from when he's ready to leave. Who's got the b*lls there to fire him......again?
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 12:08:50 EDT »

A few observations

Brooks teased this on twitter yesterday (Vol Alumnus) and I immediately assumed Peyton

I frankly think this is an ASSUMPTION on Brooks' part (connecting random dots in his mind)

I don't think Peyton has the time, he has a busy commercial making job

Peyton may in fact have had conversations with friends along the lines of "Pruitt is bad."  "Who would you think  would be a coach that could turn things around at Tennessee?"
Not dissimilar to our posts

In summary, not believing Brooks for a second
Though if we go 0'for the SEC again (with 4-5 blowouts) I think there is a good chance Pruitt is back to being a DC again

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 12:44:05 EDT »

Someone going through back channels is just due diligence. That seems plausible, and is different than actually doing an official search.

One of the inexcusable things about Butch's ouster was the runway was super long. There was ample time to get the right hire. Same thing this time IF Pruitt goes south.

And in a quid pro quo world, Fulmer has burned through a ton of political capital. No way he has what he did.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 07:07:20 EDT »

Peyton had a very long meeting with John Gruden yesterday - apparently

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2019, 07:57:13 EDT »

It sucks. I'm not looking forward to another coaching change.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 10:26:35 EDT »

Maybe consulting Peyton is not such a great idea.  He apparently checked the Yes box on Shiano.   

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2017/11/peyton_manning_was_on_board_with_greg_schiano_to_t.html

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2019, 10:27:34 EDT »

Maybe consulting Peyton is not such a great idea.  He apparently checked the Yes box on Shiano.   

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2017/11/peyton_manning_was_on_board_with_greg_schiano_to_t.html

You just now discovering that?

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: