VTTW Board Index
May 04, 2024, 01:23:35 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I hope the UT ticket office called in some extra help today...  (Read 3353 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2016, 01:44:37 EDT »

...because I'm sure their phones were ringing off the hook with people wanting to see this murderer's row of future opponents.

http://www.utsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/083016aab.html

Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 02:57:38 EDT »

We need a ninth SEC game in the worst way.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 03:15:53 EDT »

We need a ninth SEC game in the worst way.

Definitely.  But barring that, I really wish we'd schedule better.  Remember in the Majors years, when we'd play 2, 3 and sometimes 4 quality OOC opponents in a season?  Just go to the schedule link above, and look at who all we played in the 80s and early 90s (look at '87 and '91 in particular).  I know we'll never get back to that with the SEC slate being as tough as it is these days.  But we've kind of settled into a groove here of one decent OOC opponent at a neutral site, and three tomato cans at home.  Barring a 9th SEC game, is it asking too much to replace one of those cupcakes with a real team?

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 04:13:49 EDT »

BTW, click on each of those teams at the original link, and it will show you the actual contracts for the respective games.  Every one of those teams is getting at least $1.3M to play in Knoxville- all except for UTC, that is.  They're only getting $500K.  Looks like Blackburn just paid his first year's salary.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 03:30:19 EDT »

Definitely.  But barring that, I really wish we'd schedule better.  Remember in the Majors years, when we'd play 2, 3 and sometimes 4 quality OOC opponents in a season?  Just go to the schedule link above, and look at who all we played in the 80s and early 90s (look at '87 and '91 in particular).  I know we'll never get back to that with the SEC slate being as tough as it is these days.  But we've kind of settled into a groove here of one decent OOC opponent at a neutral site, and three tomato cans at home.  Barring a 9th SEC game, is it asking too much to replace one of those cupcakes with a real team?

Oh come on...we play mighty Appy State this year.  What more do you want?   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 04:41:31 EDT »

Oh come on...we play mighty Appy State this year.  What more do you want?  

Appalachian State is a better program right now than two-thirds of the teams on that list.

But, hey, let's not forget Tennessee Tech later this year.  

When I become president, I'm making it a law that: a.) No FCS teams are on the schedule, b.) There are nine conference games on the schedule, and c.) At least one of the remaining three non-conference games must be against a Power 5 program.

Love them or hate them, one thing I admire about Notre Dame football is that program's willingness to load up the schedule.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 04:44:44 EDT by Creek Walker » Logged
Creek Walker
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 04:44:29 EDT »

Let me also say that I'll never buy season tickets again as long as our scheduling mentality is such as this. Not that the university is going to miss my contribution. My donation to the VASF would be the bare minimum.  With the trend towards scheduling in neutral venues, we're basically left with two marquee SEC games each year, two bland SEC games, and three powder-puffs that carry the excitement equivalent of going to a minor league baseball game.
SmokeyJoe
Re:
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 05:13:46 EDT »

I thought we rescheduled the home & home with Ohio St. When is that game?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 05:17:06 EDT »

I thought we rescheduled the home & home with Ohio St. When is that game?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
It as NOT rescheduled

O'cryo State flat cancelled the series

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 08:53:06 EDT »

Appalachian State is a better program right now than two-thirds of the teams on that list.

But, hey, let's not forget Tennessee Tech later this year.  

When I become president, I'm making it a law that: a.) No FCS teams are on the schedule, b.) There are nine conference games on the schedule, and c.) At least one of the remaining three non-conference games must be against a Power 5 program.

Love them or hate them, one thing I admire about Notre Dame football is that program's willingness to load up the schedule.

Appy state actually is pretty good.  They may hang with us a few quarters.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: