VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 04:47:31 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remember when Bristol speedway was trying to get us to play a game there?  (Read 3995 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2013, 04:44:35 EDT »

If you think the sightlines would've been bad for that (at a half-mile track), just imagine a game at the 2.5 mile oval in Daytona.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/07/daytona-speedway-could-host-a-college-football-game/

101stDad
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 07:23:37 EDT »

That's just too ridiculous an idea to even start to consider.  NASCAR tracks aren't made for viewing football.  Even the best seats would still be a hundred yards from the field.

Even with the Bristol thing, once the powers that be starting thinking reasonably and rationally about it they realized what a stupid idea it was.  

Time to move on from that pipe dream.  
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 08:34:12 EDT »

That's just too ridiculous an idea to even start to consider.  NASCAR tracks aren't made for viewing football.  Even the best seats would still be a hundred yards from the field.

Even with the Bristol thing, once the powers that be starting thinking reasonably and rationally about it they realized what a stupid idea it was.  

Time to move on from that pipe dream.  

Agree with all of this.  But hypothetically speaking, if you HAD to play a football game at a racetrack, Bristol would be the best place- at least from a fan's perspective.  It's only a half mile around, and the steep bleachers would ensure that every seat in the place at least has a view of the action (as poor as that view may be).  

But Daytona, I don't even know how that would work.  I toured that track 2 years ago, and it is freaking HUGE.  You said the best seats would be 100 yards away- at Daytona, it would be more like 400-500.  Not only that, but there are permanent structures on that infield- garages, skyboxes, etc., that would block the view for most of the people there.  I would be interested to know exactly how they would begin to configure that place for football.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 08:38:44 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 02:23:38 EDT »

The Superdome in New Orleans is awful as far as the distance from the seating to the field.  Speaking of... ah, memories.   

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/SE0l5K6oOEM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/SE0l5K6oOEM</a>

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 02:50:04 EDT »

The Superdome in New Orleans is awful as far as the distance from the seating to the field.  Speaking of... ah, memories.   

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/SE0l5K6oOEM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/SE0l5K6oOEM</a>

Now why would you post the first half of that game?  The second half was MUCH better.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 02:52:44 EDT »

Now why would you post the first half of that game?  The second half was MUCH better.

Didn't see it available.   
Creek Walker
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 05:30:22 EDT »

Best. Game. Ever. For whatever reason, I recorded that game (I was 12 at the time) and would replay it over and over and over with the sound turned down while I "called" the action. I was convinced I was going to be the next John Ward.  I bet I watched that game 100 times before the start of the next season.
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 10:19:13 EDT »

Best. Game. Ever. For whatever reason, I recorded that game (I was 12 at the time) and would replay it over and over and over with the sound turned down while I "called" the action. I was convinced I was going to be the next John Ward.   I bet I watched that game 100 times before the start of the next season.

Ummmm got to disagree youngster....I was in N'awlins for the UT Miami battle in 1986 (January 1st back in the traditional day for Bowl Games time) and watched while UT Dismantled Vinnie Testaverde and the Miami Hurricanes.  That was twice the game was between the UVa Elvis Idiots and UT in 91.  I will recount a very funny story for all you youngsters.  We arrived in N'awlins on Dec 30th after driving all night.  We hit the hay for about four to six hours then went down to the Quarter (AKA French Quarter) and hung out all over the area.  Was a blast.  We were in this little hole in the wall bar and there were about eight of us from TN in there and doing all the cheers and some Miami fans came in and were giving us crap.  They challenged us Crockett's Boys to a drinking contest and each team had to drink the drink of their alma mater.  So we convinced them that JD was the drink of UT fans the world over and they had to drink Hurricanes.  Now Hurricanes are a gawd awful sweet drink if you have to drink more than one or two.  We were drinking shots of JD and they were drinking four ounces of hurricanes for every shot we drank.  After about six or seven shots they bowed out, told us we were f'ing unbelievable and paid our bar tab and theirs and then gave us another $100 each to continue our party.  Those were pretty good people but couold not drink worth a crap!!!!!!!!!  
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 10:21:02 EDT by EmerilVOL » Logged

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 04:23:01 EDT »

We spent 4 days in New Orleans when we played Miami and I got a total of about 10 hours sleep in those 4 days. I was sick for a week when we got home. Went back when we played Va. and I learned my lesson from the last trip. Got more sleep and I would agree that stay wasn't as much fun as the UT-Miami trip.

Halftime of the Miami game I went to the restroom and there must have been 50 UT fans packed in there and 1 (one) lone Miami fan. One semi-drunk UT fan asked the lone Miami fan...." Did all you Miami fans come to New Orleans together in a Volkswagen bus?" It broke the whole restroom up...the Miami fan zipped up and walked out without saying a word.
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 04:53:21 EDT »

We spent 4 days in New Orleans when we played Miami and I got a total of about 10 hours sleep in those 4 days. I was sick for a week when we got home. Went back when we played Va. and I learned my lesson from the last trip. Got more sleep and I would agree that stay wasn't as much fun as the UT-Miami trip.

Halftime of the Miami game I went to the restroom and there must have been 50 UT fans packed in there and 1 (one) lone Miami fan. One semi-drunk UT fan asked the lone Miami fan...." Did all you Miami fans come to New Orleans together in a Volkswagen bus?" It broke the whole restroom up...the Miami fan zipped up and walked out without saying a word.

Well I got more than 10 that trip by about three hours....THe night of the game (Jan 1st) after UT had kicked Miami in the Terstaverde's we went to the quarter for a late oyster feast and there was NOT one Miami fan to be found except in this little restaurant we went in.  This guy was drinking and when we walked in he shouted "I got one thing to say we got our asses whooped tonight."  Found out later he had made a bet with his friend from down in Florida that if Miami lost he had to sit in a bar/restaurant all night and shout that out whenever a UT fan walked in.   It was the funniest thing I have ever seen/heard after a big bowl game. 

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: