VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 12:00:30 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Music suitable for youth  (Read 4149 times)
Creek Walker
« on: July 08, 2013, 08:24:24 EDT »

It's probably a bit late to be asking this, but I'm handling music for a youth football camp that starts tonight. You all are much more in tune with today's hip-hop than I am. What are some good, clean songs suitable for football drills that are popular with kids right now? Any suggestions?
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 09:36:44 EDT »

I'm not really tuned in to hip-hop, but I know Lecrae is a Christian hip hop artist that has been topping the mainstream charts.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 10:08:35 EDT »

I'm not really tuned in to hip-hop, but I know Lecrae is a Christian hip hop artist that has been topping the mainstream charts.

I'm not into hip-hop either but Lecrae is awesome and huge right now.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 11:06:24 EDT »

I was listening to a guy named Conway Twitty recently. Good stuff. Hope that helps.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 12:24:59 EDT »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/wQjDSlVyGiU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/wQjDSlVyGiU</a>

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 12:31:19 EDT »

The real question here is, who put YOU in charge of the music?  Are you sure this is for a youth football camp, and not a social at the senior center?

Seriously, I'd help, but I honestly don't know of any "clean" hip hop that would be suitable for something like this.   

Creek Walker
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 03:03:47 EDT »

The real question here is, who put YOU in charge of the music?  Are you sure this is for a youth football camp, and not a social at the senior center?

Revolver, I see you masquerading as BDV. Jackass. 
Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 03:09:06 EDT »

I'm not into hip-hop either but Lecrae is awesome and huge right now.

Thanks. I used a Lecrae song tonight: Go Hard.

The only other rap songs I had tonight were Good Feeling (Flo Rida), Can't Be Touched (Roy Jones Jr.), Shinedown's Devour and Nelly's Here Comes The Boom.

Combined those with some good ol' fashioned rock: Let's Get It Started In Here, Crazy Train, This Is Our House (which might be my new favorite song ever for football), Born In The USA, You Give Love A Bad Name, Rock 'N Roll All Night, That's The Way I Want To Rock 'N Roll, T-N-T and Eye Of The Tiger.

But that's just night #1. I need a new playlist for tomorrow. I never realized how hard it is to find clean music — rap or rock — that doesn't have at least one line or two in it that makes it unsuitable for youth events. 
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 03:33:23 EDT »

Could be worse, I could be selecting the music, and y'all have seen my tastes in THE Countdown this year.

Though BDV will back me up in that I do like Country Rap 

Slicker than the grease from a BBQ Briskit
Got more chunk than a fresh potato salad
You thought you had your answer
But your answer was invalid

That would be:
Country music without prejudice 

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 03:50:34 EDT »

Thanks. I used a Lecrae song tonight: Go Hard.

The only other rap songs I had tonight were Good Feeling (Flo Rida), Can't Be Touched (Roy Jones Jr.), Shinedown's Devour and Nelly's Here Comes The Boom.

Combined those with some good ol' fashioned rock: Let's Get It Started In Here, Crazy Train, This Is Our House (which might be my new favorite song ever for football), Born In The USA, You Give Love A Bad Name, Rock 'N Roll All Night, That's The Way I Want To Rock 'N Roll, T-N-T and Eye Of The Tiger.

But that's just night #1. I need a new playlist for tomorrow. I never realized how hard it is to find clean music — rap or rock — that doesn't have at least one line or two in it that makes it unsuitable for youth events. 

Well now, you didn't say we could use rock songs.  Here's a few off the top of my head:

Volbeat- A Warrior's Call (this is the video I posted a few weeks ago)
Muse- Uprising
OK Go- Invincible
Saliva- Ladies and Gentlemen
The Stone Foxes- Stomp
Wolfmother- Joker And The Thief
Beastie Boys- Sabotage
Disturbed- Stricken
Foo Fighters- My Hero
Jane's Addiction- Stop
Linkin Park- Faint
Metallica- For Whom The Bell Tolls

I think those are all clean, but you might want to double check the lyrics.  A few of them are pretty heavy and hardcore, to be sure.  But all are uptempo, "get pumped up" type tracks.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 02:53:39 EDT »

Vito Banga's "Rocky Top" is pretty good. And yeah, kids think of Lincoln Park as Dinosaurs but they actually do have a couple of options that are clean (in addition to some others).

If you're desperate and going way back Van Halen's "Right Now" works in a pinch. Metallica's "Fuel" might too, but I don't remember all the lyrics. I am old. The last two bands I've seen live (separate shows) are Mumford & Sons and The Killers. Those don't have much to offer in the way of football music.

Some old school funk could work if there's any without suggestive lyrics. Gotta think about that.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 02:55:52 EDT by murfvol » Logged

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Creek Walker
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 03:41:32 EDT »

Vito Banga's "Rocky Top" is pretty good. And yeah, kids think of Lincoln Park as Dinosaurs but they actually do have a couple of options that are clean (in addition to some others).

If you're desperate and going way back Van Halen's "Right Now" works in a pinch. Metallica's "Fuel" might too, but I don't remember all the lyrics. I am old. The last two bands I've seen live (separate shows) are Mumford & Sons and The Killers. Those don't have much to offer in the way of football music.

Some old school funk could work if there's any without suggestive lyrics. Gotta think about that.

Good choice on Van Halen. After I cranked up the old school rock last night, one of the assistant coaches called me and said there better be some Van Halen on the playlist tonight. That'll work. 
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 03:53:35 EDT »

I suggest Jay Z, Ludacris, Eminem, and 50 cent....clean versions available on itunes... of course when you bleep everything out, there isn't much left to listen to...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: