VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 08:44:27 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did anyone pick up NCAA 14 today?  (Read 3329 times)
Creek Walker
« on: July 10, 2013, 04:40:12 EDT »

Does anyone still play or is this franchise truly dead in the water? I haven't decided if I'm going to pick one up this year. Any feedback?
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 04:44:53 EDT »

Does anyone still play or is this franchise truly dead in the water? I haven't decided if I'm going to pick one up this year. Any feedback?

I won't get it until UT is good again.  It's just no fun when your team sucks.

FWIW, the reviews have been less than glowing.  Seems it's just more of the same- unlike Madden, which has made some big advances in recent years.  Maybe when it comes out for the new systems next year, it will be better. 

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 04:49:29 EDT »

I won't get it until UT is good again.  It's just no fun when your team sucks.

You know I've rationalized it over and again but I think this is what it boils down to.  Back when we were good, I bought it every year whether it was a worthy upgrade or not.  Sigh. 
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 04:55:42 EDT »

You know I've rationalized it over and again but I think this is what it boils down to.  Back when we were good, I bought it every year whether it was a worthy upgrade or not.  Sigh. 

I know this will never happen, but is it really necessary to release a new game every year?  Why couldn't they just sell annual roster updates via DLC for, say, 20 bucks?  And once every three years or so, when they've made some REAL advances to the presentation, come out with a whole new game? 

I know- asking EA to fall on the side of the consumer is like asking a bear to stop shizzleting in the woods.

RipleyVol12
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 07:26:29 EDT »

Honestly its much more true to real life in my opinion. The tackling is more life real life. If you have a bruiser back he's going to run over a corner like he should. I just started the dynasty mode and so far I am impressed. The coaching tree skills thing seems interesting and the recruiting changes look good. Overall gameplay is better than the previous years in my eyes.

GO VOLS!!! 
Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 08:04:34 EDT »

Honestly its much more true to real life in my opinion. The tackling is more life real life. If you have a bruiser back he's going to run over a corner like he should. I just started the dynasty mode and so far I am impressed. The coaching tree skills thing seems interesting and the recruiting changes look good. Overall gameplay is better than the previous years in my eyes.

GO VOLS!!! 

The recruiting changes sounded good to me when I read about them. I play almost exclusively in dynasty mode, and while I don't want recruiting to be automated (what fun is that if you're playing a multi-year dynasty?), it is way too time-consuming and cumbersome.
VOLveeta
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 10:25:30 EDT »

I've been almost exclusively an online player.  I don't cheat and play the game the way the real game should be played.  That said, until we are half decent again, I'm done spending money on it.  They seem to really hinder qb, receiver and secondary play for Tennessee unless we are all world.  It's really frustrating.  I don't expect to be like Alabama on there, but try playing someone like Notre Dame online.  It's almost impossible, they give other teams insane advantages over the Vols.  I'm done with the franchise for a while.
Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 05:53:52 EDT »

As is almost always the case, I wound up breaking down and convincing myself I should buy it.  

Definitely the most obvious upgrades they've made in several years. The Infinity Engine really improves the gameplay. A few things I noticed right away: Tackles are much more realistic, though there's still work to be done (too many unrealistic big hits delivered by the defense, and several times my runner has been knocked backwards and flat on his back by his own lineman's butt). Defensive backs no longer drop as many sure interceptions, which has been maddening the past couple of years. Running is more realistic; instead of getting hung up on an offensive lineman and running in place, a runningback will realistically bounce off them. Runners seem to take a little too long to get up to speed, but it's still an improvement. Also, defensive backs are much more adept at coverage. With NCAA 13, you could simply run verticals every play and even with difficulty set to Heisman you were guaranteed to connect on a few deep bombs each game. The biggest improvements I noticed are with the quarterback. For years, you had to wait until a receiver made his cut to throw the ball, or else the pass would simply go the direction the receiver was running when the QB released the ball. Now most of the time you can throw the ball early and the QB will anticipate the receiver's cut. Much more realistic. Also, QBs can throw a bit better on the move. In previous years, it was impossible to pass if the QB wasn't set if you were playing on Heisman difficulty.

The recruiting changes in dynasty mode are nice, but at first glance it may make recruiting TOO easy.

They also got rid of the stupid in-game studio updates by Rece Davis, which were extremely irritating in last year's game. Statlines from the current game are constantly flashing on the screen now, which is a huge plus. The addition of the Kinect support for pre-snap audible commands, which made an appearance on last year's Madden, is nice in theory but I haven't had much luck with it. That seems to be the case with anything related to Kinect, though: theoretically great, but poor in practice.

The bad: They took out the schools' traditional field entrance (though I'm not sure that's a huge deal since they couldn't get some of them right anyway...ie, Tennessee running through the T). The same old tired quips and quotes from Herbstreit and Nessler...those things date back to at least 2006 or 2007. No real graphics updates and in some cases there seems to be some regressions. At Red Floyd Stadium, for example, the C-USA logo on the field appears to have been drawn in 1985. There's still a LOT that EA could do from a realism standpoint to recreate the gameday atmosphere in various stadiums, and I'm not sure why they don't do that...all I can figure is that they must be waiting for the next-gen consoles to make significant updates to the franchise.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 05:56:40 EDT by Creek Walker » Logged
RipleyVol12
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 06:22:29 EDT »

The recruiting changes sounded good to me when I read about them. I play almost exclusively in dynasty mode, and while I don't want recruiting to be automated (what fun is that if you're playing a multi-year dynasty?), it is way too time-consuming and cumbersome.

You don't have to go into each conversation and offer schollys ow. A lot easier on that front which makes me happy. I really wish they could have a mass offer button for all at once.

GO VOLS!!!   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: