VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 06:42:00 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone Publish On-line?  (Read 2787 times)
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2013, 11:00:29 EDT »

Has anyone here published stuff on-line? If so, what do I need to know? I'm tempted to go with Amazon's Kindle Publishing. Is there any reason not to?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 11:12:44 EDT by murfvol » Logged

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 12:10:53 EDT »

Creek is an expert.
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 12:39:22 EDT »

Creek is an expert.

I'm an expert at few things, and Kindle publishing certainly isn't one of them. 

Seriously, without knowing what kind of work you're looking to publish and what your intended audience is, I might suggest you look at BookBaby or Smashwords. I've heard nothing but good things about both. Not that Kindle Publishing won't work, but one of those might be a preferred alternative if you're looking for a broader approach.
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 01:04:53 EDT »

Before you sign up with Kindle, look at their total costs.  They wllk likely what to make a book exclusive to them, which limits you. Do some research and cost comparisons.
Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 01:28:42 EDT »

Before you sign up with Kindle, look at their total costs.  They wllk likely what to make a book exclusive to them, which limits you. Do some research and cost comparisons.

Typically they request 3 months exclusitivity.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 03:01:41 EDT »

Many thanks gentlemen! I setting out to become the Dave Ramsey of career advice...unless of course I don't.

This is my thinking. I initially offer it on Amazon to give a faux air of legitimacy and then once the exclusivity is up move to Smashwords. Any problems with that.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 03:07:32 EDT by murfvol » Logged

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 05:04:18 EDT »

Has anyone here published stuff on-line? If so, what do I need to know? I'm tempted to go with Amazon's Kindle Publishing. Is there any reason not to?

I have been told it's the future of publishing, publishing on - line. If I ever finish my next book, I likely will go that route.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 05:06:14 EDT »

I thought you'd done some stuff a few years back 'Nut, but I wasn't sure how you played virtual distribution.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: