VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 09:45:19 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When I started going to fitness boot camp in November of 2010  (Read 8519 times)
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2012, 04:34:53 EST »

I was 339 pounds.

When I started my first 28 day fat incineration meal plan after Thanksgiving 2011, I was 319.

This morning I weighed in at 268.

For those who have never met me I am 6'4" and large framed... 268 for me is roughly equivalent to 225 for an average 5'10" man. I still have weight to lose but I am now moderately overweight rather than morbidly obese, and I've gained quite a bit of muscle mass.

Also:

Glucose10410892
Total Cholesterol236180166
Triglycerides19412265
HDL495067
VLDLn/a2413
LDL14810686

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 04:43:57 EST »

Good going bossman!

I've regressed a bit but I'm stil down 50 pounds from a year ago.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 05:02:33 EST »

I was 339 pounds.

When I started my first 28 day fat incineration meal plan after Thanksgiving 2011, I was 319.

This morning I weighed in at 268.

For those who have never met me I am 6'4" and large framed... 268 for me is roughly equivalent to 225 for an average 5'10" man. I still have weight to lose but I am now moderately overweight rather than morbidly obese, and I've gained quite a bit of muscle mass.

Also:

Glucose10410892
Total Cholesterol236180166
Triglycerides19412265
HDL495067
VLDLn/a2413
LDL14810686

I need to lose about another 50 or so....I am down about 30 so far....

Endocrinologist wants me to lose down to 165-175.  I told him I played football (back many years ago) at 210 and 7% body fat.......

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 05:07:50 EST »

I need to lose about another 50 or so....I am down about 30 so far....

Endocrinologist wants me to lose down to 165-175.  I told him I played football (back many years ago) at 210 and 7% body fat.......

My trainer wants me to get to 220. I would be content with 235-240 in light of the improvement in my blood labs and the fact that my BP is normal with light medication. Tomorrow is the last day of my 2nd 28 day meal plan and I'm done with that shizzle forever... the first time when I was on 1200 calories 5 days a week was hard but not as hard as I thought it would be... the second time, being on 1000 calories has been really difficult. He wants me to wait 2 months and do another one. I'm not doing it. I'm just going to go back to what I was doing when I lost 20 pounds over the space of a year.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 05:22:07 EST »

Excellent. Those are healthy numbers, and your LDL/HDL ratio isn't bad at all

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 05:39:46 EST »

Excellent. Those are healthy numbers, and your LDL/HDL ratio isn't bad at all

Fixed it with 75% exercise and 25% diet... no meds. 

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 06:45:19 EST »

Congrats to you!    I know you feel so much better than before.  Not only have you helped yourself but likely have had an influence on those close to you. Great job! 
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 09:02:20 EST »

Fixed it with 75% exercise and 25% diet... no meds. 

What is your "hit the wall" weight that you had trouble getting over? How did you get over it? I have fluctuated from 229 to 197 the last 3 years (I'm at 215 right now). I find it hard to get below 210. I want to get to 190, I work out, but I don't particularly diet...I find it hard to sustain.

EmerilVOL
Heisman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 09:04:32 EST »

My trainer wants me to get to 220. I would be content with 235-240 in light of the improvement in my blood labs and the fact that my BP is normal with light medication. Tomorrow is the last day of my 2nd 28 day meal plan and I'm done with that shizzle forever... the first time when I was on 1200 calories 5 days a week was hard but not as hard as I thought it would be... the second time, being on 1000 calories has been really difficult. He wants me to wait 2 months and do another one. I'm not doing it. I'm just going to go back to what I was doing when I lost 20 pounds over the space of a year.

My doctor is mystified because I do eat bacon and eggs and use butter to cook with....and my last cholesterol number was 125

EmerilVOL

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 09:58:46 EST »

My doctor is mystified because I do eat bacon and eggs and use butter to cook with....and my last cholesterol number was 125

My brother in law who is a doctor told me that cholesterol is more hereditary than it comes from food you eat. There are some skinny people walking around with high cholesterol. That being said, it isn't healthy to eat foods in high fat or cholesterol.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 10:51:01 EST »

What is your "hit the wall" weight that you had trouble getting over? How did you get over it? I have fluctuated from 229 to 197 the last 3 years (I'm at 215 right now). I find it hard to get below 210. I want to get to 190, I work out, but I don't particularly diet...I find it hard to sustain.

The "hit the wall" amount of weight loss is generally 10% of your overall body weight. For example a few years back I started at 330 and got down to 300 just by changing my diet and then stopped losing weight which is very discouraging.

I got over it this time by doing a crazy meal plan and crazy exercise designed my trainer for Biggest Loser contestants... 28 days of intense changes in diet. I've been doing the intense exercise since November of 2010. I did that 28 day plan twice, once from Thanksgiving to Christmas and I'm on the second to last day of one right now.

Basically during the meal plans I eat whatever I want on Sundays, nothing at all on Mondays, and then a huge breakfast on Tuesday - Saturday followed by nothing the rest of the day. Monday through Saturday I drink large quantities of BCAA (Branched Chain Amino Acid) mix, and I take a couple of concentrated fruit and veggie supplements every day. The amount of calories on Tu - Sa and the amount of BCAA varies based on weight, body fat %, age, and gender. The first time I ate 1200 calories for those breakfasts and this time I've been on 1000. It goes down as you get smaller.

I wouldn't recommend something like that for somebody like you because you're not morbidly obese. It's craziness. I can't believe I got through it twice without cheating. I lost 28 pounds the first time and I will be close to 25 this time.

From now on out I will just control portions and try to eat whole food and save the really bad stuff for weekends. I will cut out a good part of my starches without going starch free. That's how I lost 20 pounds the first year with the exercise. I should be about 25 pounds away from my goal when I weigh on Sunday.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 10:57:27 EST »

My brother in law who is a doctor told me that cholesterol is more hereditary than it comes from food you eat. There are some skinny people walking around with high cholesterol. That being said, it isn't healthy to eat foods in high fat or cholesterol.

If you don't have biologically high cholesterol, moderate amounts of certain high cholesterol / high fat foods are fine for you as long as they are single ingredient foods. Contrary to what the medical establishment tries to tell us, eggs, bacon, butter, whole milk, red meat, and the like are not bad for us in moderation. Any sort of high fat / high cholesterol food that is processed is very bad for you but frankly any sort of processed food is generally bad for you. That's where the health food craze has gotten off track... it's not fat, cholesterol, and sugar that are bad for us... it's processed food.

Take a look at my lab numbers in the original post. They are all in the "really fit person" category (our wellness consultant is a woman who is 5' 4" 110 pounds and all my numbers are virtually identical to hers).

Now consider that those labs were taken in early January when I was still 290 and when I had just come off a meal plan where I ate a minimum of 3 eggs, a piece of white cheese, 1/4 mixed nuts, and 8 oz of whole chocolate milk 20 out of 28 days with bacon sprinkled in here and there as a treat.

Single ingredient foods are good for you.... PERIOD.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 06:07:44 EST »

If you don't have biologically high cholesterol, moderate amounts of certain high cholesterol / high fat foods are fine for you as long as they are single ingredient foods. Contrary to what the medical establishment tries to tell us, eggs, bacon, butter, whole milk, red meat, and the like are not bad for us in moderation. Any sort of high fat / high cholesterol food that is processed is very bad for you but frankly any sort of processed food is generally bad for you. That's where the health food craze has gotten off track... it's not fat, cholesterol, and sugar that are bad for us... it's processed food.

Take a look at my lab numbers in the original post. They are all in the "really fit person" category (our wellness consultant is a woman who is 5' 4" 110 pounds and all my numbers are virtually identical to hers).

Now consider that those labs were taken in early January when I was still 290 and when I had just come off a meal plan where I ate a minimum of 3 eggs, a piece of white cheese, 1/4 mixed nuts, and 8 oz of whole chocolate milk 20 out of 28 days with bacon sprinkled in here and there as a treat.

Single ingredient foods are good for you.... PERIOD.

Yeah I agree on the processed foods, my kids get very little to none of that, and thankfully, they like fruits and Vegetables. I like some veges, and I have found in the past that if I just eat more veggies and less breads/rice I lose weight, because I don't take in much sugar. In the end, to lose weight it's just a matter of how many calories I eat - and veggies have less calories.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 01:20:49 EST »

Yeah I agree on the processed foods, my kids get very little to none of that, and thankfully, they like fruits and Vegetables. I like some veges, and I have found in the past that if I just eat more veggies and less breads/rice I lose weight, because I don't take in much sugar. In the end, to lose weight it's just a matter of how many calories I eat - and veggies have less calories.

That would especially be true if the bread and rice you are eating is white... I.e. processed. White bread and white rice on sushi are two of my biggest weaknesses.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 03:48:07 EST »

Bossman, I am so proud of what you have done!   Keep up the good work....Being truly healthy is the best feeling I've had in so many years!

As a woman, and a woman in her prime menopausal years, I struggle to lose weight.....I've always had a slow metabolism, and even though I work out with a trainer 4 times a week, plus do 1-2 hours additional each week of cardio training....I struggle to lose any weight.   I have gained back 25 lbs from my lowest weight.  I'm now trying to lose that back and lost a whopping 5 lbs in 5 weeks!  WOW!       At least I went down!  HA!  Anyway, most people that see me have no clue I've gained weight because I am stronger than I've ever been in my life!  My numbers are pretty good as well and I still have to take a mild BP med (half of what I used to take), but my body is telling me I have to get these lbs off!  My joints hurt, etc etc.....it is a struggle and wish I could find a way to lose a little quicker.   I know I'm working out enough (2 strength trainings each week; 1 circuit class - both cardio and strength; 1 advanced water aerobics class -- suspended training; plus the additional cardio I do myself)....I count calories and fat, track everything that goes into my body.....no processed foods, virtually no sugar.......just very frustrating.  Sometimes being a woman sux!  WOO!

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 04:39:16 EST »

That would especially be true if the bread and rice you are eating is white... I.e. processed. White bread and white rice on sushi are two of my biggest weaknesses.

Yeah I don't mind eating whole wheat sandwich bread, but I don't like whole wheat bread on sub sandwiches. We use Basmati rice, which is lower in carbs, and more flavorful.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 06:33:56 EST »

Wow, really good cholesterol numbers.  And 1000 calories is almost nothing....not sure how you did that, but good job.

You should consider the crazy meal plan one more time if your adviser wants you to do it though.  C'mon, it can't be that bad.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2012, 04:12:11 EST »

Wow, really good cholesterol numbers.  And 1000 calories is almost nothing....not sure how you did that, but good job.

You should consider the crazy meal plan one more time if your adviser wants you to do it though.  C'mon, it can't be that bad.   

No.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2012, 04:42:51 EST »

That is extremely impressive! Congratulations - and thanks to everyone who kicked in dieting/exercise tips. I've got to drop some pounds baaad.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 05:18:09 EST »

but I have a lot of friends who have. It is a constant uphill battle. Well done!

volsboyinsodak
10EC
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 01:29:45 EST »

Before and after pics?? 

EmerilVOL
Heisman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 01:34:24 EST »

Before and after pics?? 

Ummmmmm are you sure....he aint Brad Pitt......  (just kidding boss)   

EmerilVOL

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, 01:59:51 EST »

Before and after pics?? 

I don't really have any good ones but I will try to take something and put it on Facebook.

Screaming Eagle Dad
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 04:43:24 EST »

That's great man! Really happy for you, being a self starter is a great thing! Great job!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: