VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 05:22:13 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My first (I think) public call of the coaching hire  (Read 8768 times)
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2012, 08:10:03 EST »

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 08:11:23 EST »

I've talked to some South Carolina fans who believe that's a good hire. And they hate to see it. They said so.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 08:14:53 EST »

I've talked to some South Carolina fans who believe that's a good hire. And they hate to see it. They said so.

I think he would be a really good hire. He's an up and comer who knows the league due to stops at SC and UF. Great recruiter. Never been in NCAA trouble. I know that Louisville is prepared to break the bank to keep him, but I think he wants to coach in the SEC and will eventually be in the league. There is also a really good chance that he would be able to reel in Jalen Ramsey.

Go get him, Dave.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Be-the-Vol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 08:17:16 EST »

Nice pick!  I know you picked him because of his awesome first name.   

By the way, say "Hi" to your lovely bride for me.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 08:18:05 EST »

He's my first pick at this point.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 08:19:30 EST »

I think he would be a really good hire. He's an up and comer who knows the league due to stops at SC and UF. Great recruiter. Never been in NCAA trouble. I know that Louisville is prepared to break the bank to keep him, but I think he wants to coach in the SEC and will eventually be in the league. There is also a really good chance that he would be able to reel in Jalen Ramsey.

Go get him, Dave.

he would definitely recruit well. Not just Ramsey. He could get Lawson and Hatcher in the fold too, especially if he hired Tee

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 08:22:48 EST »

he would definitely recruit well. Not just Ramsey. He could get Lawson and Hatcher in the fold too, especially if he hired Tee

Yes. I think Ramsey is most important though.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 08:23:28 EST »

Nice pick!  I know you picked him because of his awesome first name.   

By the way, say "Hi" to your lovely bride for me.

She always says that you should be on Facebook and say hi yourself! 

Creek Walker
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 08:24:16 EST »

I have my doubts about how good a coach Tee Martin is. He did not look very good at UK and while I don't keep up with USC as much, obviously there are some issues out there with coaching in general right now.

But there's no doubt that he can recruit and I would laugh until I cried if UT hired him and he pulled Ramsey away from USC after Kiffin hired him for that specific reason.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 08:27:31 EST »

My initial list was Petrino, Patterson and Strong. I'd pretty much wail as an AD.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
UTnbama
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 08:28:39 EST »

He's no public speaker....yet, but there's no doubt he can coach.
Be-the-Vol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 08:28:50 EST »

She always says that you should be on Facebook and say hi yourself! 

I may call an interwebs master and have him/her set me up a page.  Do I need to be on the youtubes or plugged into an ipad/ipod thingy to get good my face space page reception?  
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 08:32:20 EST »

I would definitely be happy with Strong.  One of my top picks.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 08:38:53 EST »

I may call an interwebs master and have him/her set me up a page.  Do I need to be on the youtubes or plugged into an ipad/ipod thingy to get good my face space page reception?  

I don't know any interwebs masters. 

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 08:49:28 EST »

Right Now,I want either Mike Gundy or Charlie Strong to be the next UT Coach

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 09:45:15 EST »

Lynnie approves! 
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 11:07:16 EST »

Meh.  If he's our coach, I'll get behind him, but still...meh.  He doesn't excite me any more than Dooley did when he was hired.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 11:21:37 EST »

Meh.  If he's our coach, I'll get behind him, but still...meh.  He doesn't excite me any more than Dooley did when he was hired.

I can dig the excitement level but he is far more accomplished than Derek Dooley.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 01:52:17 EST »

I can dig the excitement level but he is far more accomplished than Derek Dooley.

I wouldn't say he's "far" more accomplished.  Both were successful assistants in the SEC (granted, Strong was coordinator and Dooley wasn't), and both had modest success as head coaches in inferior leagues.  I'd say Strong has the better resume, but not by much. 

RON
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 03:46:42 EST »

Since Gruden isn't available I want Charlie Strong. Would love to keep Jay Graham on staff and get Tee Martin.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 03:50:05 EST »

I'm in

He was at the top of the list in my "Noth that anyone asked" post a week ago.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 04:20:11 EST »

I wouldn't say he's "far" more accomplished.  Both were successful assistants in the SEC (granted, Strong was coordinator and Dooley wasn't), and both had modest success as head coaches in inferior leagues.  I'd say Strong has the better resume, but not by much. 

"Modest success"???? Dooley didn't even have a winning record at LaTech (17-20).  Strong is 24-8 at Louisville.  Strong is in a BCS Bowl this year.  And while I disrespect the Big East as much as anyone, it's still better than the Sun Belt.  Finally, two different Coordinator positions vs. a position coach at LSU.  Its a pretty huge difference IYAM.

Dooley

2007   Louisiana Tech   5–7   4–4   T–4th         
2008   Louisiana Tech   8–5   5–3   T–2nd   W Independence      
2009   Louisiana Tech   4–8   3–5   T–5th

Strong

2010   Louisville   7–6   3–4   T–5th   W Beef 'O' Brady's      
2011   Louisville   7–6   5–2   T–1st   L Belk      
2012   Louisville   10–2   5–2   T–1st   TBD Sugar†

As a side note, Dooley's record at UT was 15-21....slightly worse than at LaTech.     That was against better competition, but also with better talent.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 04:24:48 EST »

Strong was a longtime coordinator and a national championship coordinator twice. I'd say that's a pretty big difference, especially on a staff where the head coach was an offensive guy.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 04:48:29 EST »

"Modest success"???? Dooley didn't even have a winning record at LaTech (17-20).  Strong is 24-8 at Louisville.   Strong is in a BCS Bowl this year.  And while I disrespect the Big East as much as anyone, it's still better than the Sun Belt.

Yeah, two mediocre seasons, and one good season, in a year when the Big East is the weakest it's ever been (and that's saying a lot).  I'm not sure that the Big East IS better than the Sun Belt this year.  And "BCS Bowl Participant" doesn't really have the same cache it used to (See Northern Illinois).  Look, he went 10-2 this year, and that's great.  But per our AD, we're looking for someone with a proven track record of success as a head coach.  Strong has had one good season.  If that's what Hart considers a "proven track record", then maybe he should have hired that search firm after all.

Finally, two different Coordinator positions vs. a position coach at LSU.  Its a pretty huge difference IYAM.

True.  But success as defensive coordinator doesn't necessarily mean that he's going to turn our defense into the Steel Curtain as a HC.  I would remind you that Dooley was Saban's recruiting coordinator at LSU.  That was supposed to mean a parade of 5 stars heading to Knoxville.  Didn't quite turn out that way, did it?

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2012, 05:57:15 EST »

Yeah, two mediocre seasons, and one good season, in a year when the Big East is the weakest it's ever been (and that's saying a lot).  I'm not sure that the Big East IS better than the Sun Belt this year.  And "BCS Bowl Participant" doesn't really have the same cache it used to (See Northern Illinois).  Look, he went 10-2 this year, and that's great.  But per our AD, we're looking for someone with a proven track record of success as a head coach.  Strong has had one good season.  If that's what Hart considers a "proven track record", then maybe he should have hired that search firm after all.

True.  But success as defensive coordinator doesn't necessarily mean that he's going to turn our defense rinto the Steel Curtain as a HC.  I would remind you that Dooley was Saban's recruiting coordinator at LSU.  That was supposed to mean a parade of 5 stars heading to Knoxville.  Didn't quite turn out that way, did it?

Theres a huge difference between having a losing record saying winning two thirds of your games period dot

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: