VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 04:11:02 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I was reluctant to say so on here...  (Read 1894 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2013, 03:59:53 EDT »

...but I think I can now admit (some have already) that, prior to last night, I had some serious reservations about this coaching staff's ability to manage the game at this level.  I kept quiet because I didn't want to go negative this early in Butch's tenure, but I saw some things schematically that just left me shaking my head.  And maybe it's too early to say that Butch has been completely vindicated, but after last night, it's easy to see some light at the end of the tunnel.  It's easy to imagine what these schemes will look like with SEC caliber players.  And they look pretty damn good.

Our team is very inexperienced, and we're having to throw some young guys into the fire that, given a roster at full strength, would probably otherwise be redshirting.  These kids are still learning.  This was known going into the season.  But I think it's important to remember that Butch Jones ALSO has no experience at this level.  I don't think he had any idea what it took to win in the SEC, especially with a roster as depleted as ours.  Thus, I think he was calling games scared.  I don't think he trusted his players, and maybe they didn't trust him.  That seemed to change in the locker room at halftime.  I don't know what if anything was said, but that was a different team and a different coaching staff in the 2nd half.  The playcalling was inspired, as if they were suddenly trusting the players with pages out of their playbook that we had yet to see.  And the players repaid that trust by executing as well as they could.  They weren't always perfect, especially on defense, but I don't think we can ask any more of this year's roster.  But again, I can't wait to see it executed with Butch's recruits. 

Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 04:12:30 EDT »

I've made the same points. I don't know that I so much had a problem with the staff schematically so much as Butch seemed unable to adjust what he WANTED to do to the personnel he actually has, and I also thought he was coaching scared at times. I even thought he was coaching scared at a couple of points in the first half last night. I think this staff matured a little last night.

I'm not nearly as confident as a lot of UT fans that we're suddenly capable of beating South Carolina, but I sure as heck am looking forward to it. 
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 04:12:51 EDT »

Good post. I'm sure there will be more ups & downs this year, but it certainly appeared something clicked yesterday. I so wanted that win, but the future seems brighter even in defeat.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 04:22:39 EDT »

I've made the same points. I don't know that I so much had a problem with the staff schematically so much as Butch seemed unable to adjust what he WANTED to do to the personnel he actually has, and I also thought he was coaching scared at times. I even thought he was coaching scared at a couple of points in the first half last night. I think this staff matured a little last night.

I'm not nearly as confident as a lot of UT fans that we're suddenly capable of beating South Carolina, but I sure as heck am looking forward to it. 
the schematic issues I've had we're on defense.  On offense we have been limited by all the FR and other receivers with minimal or no playing experience as well as a QB not (IMO) playing well.  The receivers were getting open, just not consistently and perhaps not in the correct location.  Worley was often throwing the ball late, with the receiver coming out of the break.  Even in the first half yesterday that continued.  In the 2nd half, especially with Smith there seemed to be a level do trust developing and as a result the ball was being delivered on time.

Against the zone we had receivers open all over the field.  Against press man not so much but the kids were battling.

Part of the success passing was we ran the ball effectively. 

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 12:32:34 EDT »

I had started thinking about questioning the coaches due to some head scratching plays or schemes. I give the coaches credit today for putting the players in a position to win and almost pulling it off.

Hats off the the staff on this one! 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: