VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 02:57:53 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Report (Houston Edition)  (Read 1728 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2016, 05:25:41 EDT »

How the hell did we make it to OT wIth six (6) TOs?  But we did, thanks to an all out hustle play by Forman

Offense:
QB: Dobs was great and frustrating at the same time.  If he just falls on either of the two fumbles we win.  Threw the bal ok, really missed badly on a couple of crossing routes.  Running, for the most part was good but took at least one sack that was 100% on him (with a clear field to his right)
Then there was the one per game Dobbs  throw in OT

RB: Kamara played lights out as did Kelly but both had costly fumbles. Kelly was impressive but this was the Kamara we have been looking for

WR:  I believe Byrd is now ahead of Smith, played. LOT more snaps.m Johnson got a lot of snaps late after Malone was lit up.  Williams with a lot of snaps but nothing much to show for it.  Jennings with a drop for a pick and a costly PF 40 yards away from the ball.
Probably their best all around game.

OL:  probably their best game.  Hall got lit up by Hall once bit they were opening holes in the run game and really Dobbs had sufficient time on most passes.  For all the crap I and others gave Thomas earlier this year he played well.

Defense:
DL: Barnett another great game but really not a lot to show in the 2nd half (other than some all SEC ho
Dis against him. The tackles got zero penetration all game.  Very little Kongbo (not sure he was on the field in the 2nd half) but a lot of Mixon in the 3rd down situations

LB: another grade of D, at best.  Jumper had a gift pick and 1, count it, play down hill.  The rest of the game he was making tackles 3-5 yards down field.  Got burned badly on a TD

DB: burned several times but tightened up in the 2nd half.  Both Forman and Mosely got hurt on tackles but returned.  When Gaulden got a blow it was Buchanon on the field.  Safeties pretty my ch a non factor.  After the head shot to Berry Micah went the rest of the way at safety.  We were flipping safeties a lot more today.

In general, we still can't set a corner and have difficulty with option plays

ST:  we won the kicking and punting game.  Return game was below our normal but I suspect that the new people on those units are costing us.

Coaching:  played to win all game.  I could 2nd guess some calls but they had a good game plan coming in.

Aggie fans lived up to their reputation before and after the game.  Really good fans.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 05:39:07 EDT »

Correction...7 turnovers....a school record. Kamara needs to play A LOT more even when Hurd is back.....Kamara is a better fit for this offense. When Kamara isn't playing that's having one of the best athletes in the SEC on the sidelines...Dumb.

Not a bad called game....I thought going empty backfield late in the game and that whole series was a cluster....Chavis bringing heat and you go empty???!!! We never did it again...wonder why.

You are correct....not getting help on the edge has hurt us all season...haven't improved there much if any. DBs....got to get much better in pass coverage...way too many times we didn't have protection in the same zip code. Our defense got tired late in the 4th...we weren't making plays in the run game and letting Knight go 60 on a keeper was a killer. Gave them points off turnovers and then gave up too many big plays.

A game we should have won...and a game we could have lost by 3 TDs easy. Team will fight till the end.

A game we should have won with almost 700 yards of offense that we gave away....We could have pretty much wrapped up the East with a win today. now we are fighting for our lives......and if Florida doesn't have to make up that LSU game it will get interesting. I thought Ark might have a chance to beat Florida....but they looked like a D2 school playing Bama tonight.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 05:42:27 EDT by Tnphil » Logged
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 05:40:53 EDT »

Correction...7 Turnover....a school record. Kamara needs to play A LOT more even when Hurd is back.....Kamara is a better fit for this offense.

Not a bad called game....I thought going empty backfield late in the game and that whole series was a cluster....Chavis bringing heat and you go empty???!!! We never did it again...wonder why.

You are correct....not getting help on the edge has hurt us all season...haven't improved there much if any. DBs....got to get much better in pass coverage...way too many times we didn't have protection in the same zip code. Our defense got tired late in the 4th...we weren't making plays in the run game and letting Knight go 60 on a keeper was a killer. Gave them points off turnovers and then gave up too many big plays.

A game we should have won...and a game we could have lost by 3 TDs easy. Team will fight till the end.

A game we should have won with almost 700 yards of offense that we gave away....We could have pretty much wrapped up the East with a win today. now we are fighting for our lives......and if Florida doesn't have to make up that game it will get interesting. I thought Ark might have a chance to beat Florida....but they looked like a D2 school playing Bama tonight.
one quibble I was noting getting to OT with six.  I know Dobbs threw 2 zip codes from our nearest receiver in OT for the 7th

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Jean Voljean
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 02:18:46 EDT »

I agree with your assessment.  Obsessive about their team, and obsessive about being gracious to opposing fans. 

Almost every stadium is mostly nice to the visitors, but it is the exceptions we notice.  At A&M they take so much pride in this culture they built that it seems like even the people who want to be jerks don't dare act out. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 05:55:04 EDT »

I liked the atmosphere but all the traditions were a bit much. There are so many of them!  If I were an aggie fan, I think I would find the whole thing tiring.

But...by the grace of God I'm a Vol, so...

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: