VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 01:58:56 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Read an article on Pitt.... Peterman is playing well. I hope he does  (Read 8337 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2015, 12:27:04 EDT »

well. It's amazing what coaching can do. Why can one coach get this out of him and another one can't?ftp://http://sports.yahoo.com/news/pat-narduzzi-no-25-pitt-ranked-ahead-schedule-202910539--ncaaf.html
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 12:29:42 EDT by volsboy » Logged

volsboyinsodak
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 01:45:13 EDT »

Who's to say that he wouldn't have played just as well at Tennessee against a similar schedule? Pitt hasn't exactly played a difficult schedule this year. They've lost their only game of significance, against an Iowa team that Tennessee crushed in the Outback Bowl. It isn't exactly their fault that their schedule is so weak. No one envisioned at the start of the season that Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech would be as down as they are. I'm happy Peterman is doing well but, frankly, I think Pitt is overranked. I'll be impressed when Peterman and Pitt do well against teams like Notre Dame and Miami later in the season.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 02:03:12 EDT »

Don't know if true or not.....but I had 2 people who saw him at practice when at UT more than once and both said he was the best QB on the practice field. If so, he just didn't have it when the lights were on while here.

Wish him the best.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 02:46:08 EDT »

well. It's amazing what coaching can do. Why can one coach get this out of him and another one can't?ftp://http://sports.yahoo.com/news/pat-narduzzi-no-25-pitt-ranked-ahead-schedule-202910539--ncaaf.html
If you have watched any of their games (I've watched good portions of three games) he isn't playing all that well.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
JDBVOL
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 03:48:30 EDT »

sometimes a change in the venue is worth more than any coach.  Wish him the best-from what I saw of him he was a good character person and in life that goes a long way.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 03:51:19 EDT »

sometimes a change in the venue is worth more than any coach.  Wish him the best-from what I saw of him he was a good character person and in life that goes a long way.
He and is family are good folk.  Was fortunate to spend some time with his family before the ill-fated UF start and once again later that year.

But in reality he would be 3rd team, at best, this year on the Hill.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 04:09:36 EDT »

Clearly, your implication is that Butch Jones is an idiot and/or whoever is Pitt's coach is a genius.  But OTOH, Butch is getting a pretty good season out of Alvin Kamara where Nick Saban failed.  So what does THAT mean?

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 04:33:03 EDT »

Happy to see him doing well, no matter what the circumstances of his departure from UT were.  By all accounts Nathan was a really good student, a good citizen, and his team mates thought a lot of him. 

My personal opinion is that he wasn't nearly as bad as he appeared to be in his snaps while at UT. 

And he did beat out a kid (from Cleveland, TN) who was an Elite 11 QB coming out of high school.  Granted, Voytik was probably a bit over rated, but he started pretty much all of last year for Pitt and had a leg up on the position going in to this year.  The fact that Peterman is having success at Pitt says a lot about his character and drive to be successful. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 03:15:02 EDT »

I've said it before, I'll say it again.  Peterman was never as bad as most Vol fans thought.  He never should have been asked to start as a true frosh in the swamp.  If Jones really wanted to make a switch he could have waited until the OOC game the following week (which, BTW, was actually a close game so maybe that would have backfired also).

Peterman had a simply horrible HALF...ONE FREAKING HALF....against Florida, and that is entirely what he is judged by.  It colored people's perceptions of him from that day on.  He had maybe a dozen meaningful snaps after that in one game against bammer last year.  That's it.  Mop up duty doesn't count.

You can't judge a player on a single half of football, particularly when he is a TRUE FROSH, asked to START, in the Swamp in his third college game.

I'm not surprised at all that he is doing well.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 03:23:22 EDT »

I have watched him play. He's decent at running the Pitt offense against a Pitt schedule. He still has had some Peterman moments - if you pressure him he panics...A LOT. However, if you give him time he can throw the ball with some accuracy. I think he made the right move - he wouldn't fare well in the SEC.

Creek Walker
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 04:11:08 EDT »

I've said it before, I'll say it again.  Peterman was never as bad as most Vol fans thought.  He never should have been asked to start as a true frosh in the swamp.  If Jones really wanted to make a switch he could have waited until the OOC game the following week (which, BTW, was actually a close game so maybe that would have backfired also).

Peterman had a simply horrible HALF...ONE FREAKING HALF....against Florida, and that is entirely what he is judged by.  It colored people's perceptions of him from that day on.  He had maybe a dozen meaningful snaps after that in one game against bammer last year.  That's it.  Mop up duty doesn't count.

You can't judge a player on a single half of football, particularly when he is a TRUE FROSH, asked to START, in the Swamp in his third college game.

I'm not surprised at all that he is doing well.

The Swamp wasn't his only appearance at UT. I agree that he probably wasn't as bad as he appeared during the first half of that game at UF, but he wasn't and isn't an SEC quarterback.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 04:15:16 EDT »

The Swamp wasn't his only appearance at UT. I agree that he probably wasn't as bad as he appeared during the first half of that game at UF, but he wasn't and isn't an SEC quarterback.
He was the starting QB last year against Bamer, till replaced by Dobbs

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 04:58:45 EDT »

I agree that Pitt's schedule is weak, but he's still a completely different QB than what we saw from him.

His adjusted QBR, which accounts for schedule:

2013 UT: 2.9
2014 UT: 8.9
2015 Pitt: 68.6

68.6 isn't setting the world on fire but it would be in the top half of the SEC. A QBR less than 10 is all-time bad.

Good for Nate. Whatever the reasons for his struggles here, I'm glad he's finding some success elsewhere because he sounds like a good kid, student, and teammate.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2015, 03:57:56 EDT »

I agree that Pitt's schedule is weak, but he's still a completely different QB than what we saw from him.

His adjusted QBR, which accounts for schedule:

2013 UT: 2.9
2014 UT: 8.9
2015 Pitt: 68.6

68.6 isn't setting the world on fire but it would be in the top half of the SEC. A QBR less than 10 is all-time bad.

Good for Nate. Whatever the reasons for his struggles here, I'm glad he's finding some success elsewhere because he sounds like a good kid, student, and teammate.

His total stats

2013 10/23 45 yds 0 TD 2 Int  In Florida game 4/11 0 TD 2 Int  Other than Florida game 6/12 40 yds 0 TD 0 Int

2014 10/20 49 yds 0 TD 0 Int In bammer game 2/4 10 yds 0 TD 0 Int  Other than bammer game 8/16 39 yards

If you take away that one half against Florida, he's 14/28 for 79 yards and 0/ int/td

Not overwhelmingly successful, but not awful either.  I would say he was mediocre other than the first half against Florida.

What I was reacting to was there were people saying, literally, "he's the worse QB to ever take the field in college", "he shouldn't be allowed to play HS ball", "he should never take another snap at the University of Tennessee".

And so, yes, there are people surprised he is doing well at a place like Pitt. I  am not at all surprised.  He's the kind of guy that can do well there.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2015, 04:00:32 EDT »

Never came close to saying he would be a great or even good SEC quarterback.  Just saying he never really got a fair shake IMO.  One really bad half is all people remember.

My main point is that since I actually paid attention to what he did in other games, and didn't base my reaction on one single half prior to which he never played a single down in college (it's true, and another thing folks forget) on the road, in the Swamp, I'm not at all surprised.

I'm also not surprised that some folks are surprised, if you know what I mean.  
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 04:02:58 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2015, 03:01:43 EDT »

His total stats

2013 10/23 45 yds 0 TD 2 Int  In Florida game 4/11 0 TD 2 Int  Other than Florida game 6/12 40 yds 0 TD 0 Int

2014 10/20 49 yds 0 TD 0 Int In bammer game 2/4 10 yds 0 TD 0 Int  Other than bammer game 8/16 39 yards

If you take away that one half against Florida, he's 14/28 for 79 yards and 0/ int/td

Not overwhelmingly successful, but not awful either.  I would say he was mediocre other than the first half against Florida.

What I was reacting to was there were people saying, literally, "he's the worse QB to ever take the field in college", "he shouldn't be allowed to play HS ball", "he should never take another snap at the University of Tennessee".

And so, yes, there are people surprised he is doing well at a place like Pitt. I  am not at all surprised.  He's the kind of guy that can do well there.

14/28 for 79 is 2.8 yards per attempt and 5.6 yards per completion. That's still pretty bad, not mediocre, and you have to throw out the only meaningful experience he had to get to that.

There was plenty of reason to conclude that Peterman was a terrible QB, and plenty of reason to be surprised at how well he's playing now. Stop judging people for perfectly valid conclusions based on real observations. If you were right about Peterman and everyone else was wrong, it wasn't based on keen observation. It was your hopefulness in the face of a really ugly reality (which is admirable, btw, but not something to thump your chest over).

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2015, 03:41:51 EDT »

We all know that Peterman struggled to say the least at UT. 

That said, he is having some success at Pitt, and the schedule/circumstances really don't make a tinker's damn.  Be happy for the kid.  He worked hard while he was here and has never said one negative word about his time at UT. 

I'm elated to see him doing well, and he graduated from UT in 3 years, which was a huge help to our APR and the team "record setting" GPA. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2015, 04:17:47 EDT »

We all know that Peterman struggled to say the least at UT. 

That said, he is having some success at Pitt, and the schedule/circumstances really don't make a tinker's damn.  Be happy for the kid.  He worked hard while he was here and has never said one negative word about his time at UT. 

I'm elated to see him doing well, and he graduated from UT in 3 years, which was a huge help to our APR and the team "record setting" GPA. 

Absolutely.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2015, 02:48:04 EDT »

14/28 for 79 is 2.8 yards per attempt and 5.6 yards per completion. That's still pretty bad, not mediocre, and you have to throw out the only meaningful experience he had to get to that.

There was plenty of reason to conclude that Peterman was a terrible QB, and plenty of reason to be surprised at how well he's playing now. Stop judging people for perfectly valid conclusions based on real observations. If you were right about Peterman and everyone else was wrong, it wasn't based on keen observation. It was your hopefulness in the face of a really ugly reality (which is admirable, btw, but not something to thump your chest over).

Hoping had nothing to do with it. I didn't think he was some great prospect that was the future of QB at UT, or the next Manning, just didn't think he was as bad as others said.

Just curious, do you disagree that he was mostly judged on that one game? 

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2015, 03:47:59 EDT »

Hoping had nothing to do with it. I didn't think he was some great prospect that was the future of QB at UT, or the next Manning, just didn't think he was as bad as others said.

Just curious, do you disagree that he was mostly judged on that one game? 

"Mostly" is probably fair, yes. It wasn't the only sample, though, and nobody-- you or anyone else-- had seen anything to make them think he was a college QB.

Also, that UF game might have been the worst half of quarterbacking in the history of college football.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2015, 04:35:53 EDT »

"Mostly" is probably fair, yes. It wasn't the only sample, though, and nobody-- you or anyone else-- had seen anything to make them think he was a college QB.

Also, that UF game might have been the worst half of quarterbacking in the history of college football.

Fair enough.  You have to understand that if anyone had dared post in the past that most of the bad opinion of him was based on one half, in which he played his first down as a college player, on the road, in swamp, as a true frosh, and that it might not be fair to judge him based on just that, then odds are multiple posters would shout you down.

In which case, maybe a bit of vindication is justified.   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: