VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 01:59:43 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What will piss me off the most is if Jones insists on keeping with his  (Read 5432 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2015, 10:39:03 EDT »

conservative play calling. We have nothing to lose. He better bring everything, including the kitchen sink. Plus try to get more than FG's in the red zone. That's about all I have to say about that.

volsboyinsodak
SmokeyJoe
Re:
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 10:58:59 EDT »

You mean like the trick play against florida? Or the 4th down plays against georgia? Look we were in position to win both the OK & Florida games, and for that matter arky.  A strong case can be made that defensive breakdowns lost those games. They were all heart breaking losses. Mistakes have been made though. They are magnified in a loss. I think if bama doesn't jump out big early, we'll be right in there.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 11:33:15 EDT »

conservative play calling. We have nothing to lose. He better bring everything, including the kitchen sink. Plus try to get more than FG's in the red zone. That's about all I have to say about that.
your continuous whining about Jones pose the rest of off
He heard you the first hundred fizzleing times!

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 12:09:46 EDT »

your continuous whining about Jones pose the rest of off
He heard you the first hundred fizzleing times!
Tough shizzle. There is always next year. Is that still your view. Or should I not harp on giving two games away? We lost the 3rd one legit. Which shouldn't have happened either. I don't know about you, but I still honestly feel we are better than everyone we have played up until tomorrow. What is the reason for that besides coaching? But complaining here is a no-no. Oh wait, everyone here does it but i guess my complaining is special. Jones third year and we still don't know if he can coach or not. Or has he proven he is the next Neyland in your eyes?

volsboyinsodak
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 12:13:52 EDT »

Offense can be your best defense when your defense is not getting it done....Pick up a few more first downs and the OU and Florida games would have been in our win column. Just ask Michigan that went full retard with 3 runs up the middle and a punt.....O' Wait!!

That being said our defense couldn't get stops in all 3 losses and the 4th down(s) against Florida was a total cluster of epic proportions.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 12:52:19 EDT »

Offense can be your best defense when your defense is not getting it done....Pick up a few more first downs and the OU and Florida games would have been in our win column. Just ask Michigan that went full retard with 3 runs up the middle and a punt.....O' Wait!!

That being said our defense couldn't get stops in all 3 losses and the 4th down(s) against Florida was a total cluster of epic proportions.
Offense can... Again, I don't think anybody expected to blowout ok, or fl, but we were very close in both to blowing them out. Jones is working with essentially two recruiting classes, and dooley went an entire cycle with 0 olineman recruits. Maybe he got us too close, too quick. All preseason we heard how good & deep we were. In hindsight, the media jumped the gun. The depth isn't there. Fact. Soooo, a case could be made that Jones has coached em up exceptionally well. I would like a new OL coach next year, and possibly WR. Then again, I don't know what jones knows, nor do any of us.

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 12:53:38 EDT »

Tough shizzle. There is always next year. Is that still your view. Or should I not harp on giving two games away? We lost the 3rd one legit. Which shouldn't have happened either. I don't know about you, but I still honestly feel we are better than everyone we have played up until tomorrow. What is the reason for that besides coaching? But complaining here is a no-no. Oh wait, everyone here does it but i guess my complaining is special. Jones third year and we still don't know if he can coach or not. Or has he proven he is the next Neyland in your eyes?
You, sir, are the ultimate armchair, layperson, monday morning qb. We gonna get there! Jump off the wagon any ol time you like.

crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 01:39:29 EDT »

Everyone relax..We got this.. Vols will win!      
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 01:56:10 EDT »

Everyone relax..We got this.. Vols will win!    
Car is gassed, bag is packed, route planning complete, departure for T-town in about 10 hours, 5 minutes, low level entry point in 9 hours 50 minutes

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2015, 04:40:48 EDT »

Car is gassed, bag is packed, route planning complete, departure for T-town in about 10 hours, 5 minutes, low level entry point in 9 hours 50 minutes

Be careful...hazardous waste abounds in that shizzle hole   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2015, 05:11:03 EDT »

It isn't that you question the coaching. Some things should be questioned.  Believe it or not, I was once on the other side of this.  I often questioned Majors late in his tenure (but who didn't?) and I was glad to see him go.  I questioned Chavis early on, when he couldn't seem to stop Florida for love or money.  The worst with Chavis was 1997 when Peyton was a senior.  Florida scored 4 TDs on offense (and one on D).  Their 4 offensive TDs came on three 3rd and 10s and one 4th and 10.  On every occasion we rushed three DL and dropped 8 in coverage.

Holy fizzleing shizzle.  You would think Chavis would learn.  I complained about that on the old Vol Chat and got shouted at.  There were three posters on that site that felt it was their obligation to attack anyone questioning the coaches for any reason whatsoever.  It was ridiculous.  I told them a blind 85 year old woman could see that you can't play prevent against SOS, he will eat you alive.

Well guess what?  The next year Chavis consistently blitzed with 5 and 6 pretty much the entire game and we finally beat those #badword#s.  And yes, we lost more games to Florida, but never again did their offense score so effortlessly as it did from 1995-1997 when Chavis was young and dumb.

Honestly he never completely learned his lesson on the prevent, but at least it became an occasional thing and not the norm.

So three things.  Nothing wrong with questioning the coaches, particularly if its deserved.  Two, coaches can learn.  Chavis did.  Do I wish it wasn't on the job, and should we not have lost all the games 95-97 to Florida?  Yes and yes, but at least he finally did figure it out.  Three, the criticism of Chavis in 1997 was, IMO, more deserved because that Vol team was simply loaded...I mean LOADED with talent!  Practically every roster spot that year ended up in the NFL in one capacity or another, and Peyton Freaking Manning was our QB.

Don't know if you have noticed or not, but we are still nowhere near that level of talent.  I'd say we only have 5-6 players that are a lock for the NFL, if that, although a lot of the frosh and sophomores might develop that way.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2015, 05:25:59 EDT »

And another thing. Question coaches all you want, though I think you often go too far with that. but I believe you are forgetting a couple things.

Do you realize that in 2011-12, Dooley was 1-14 in the SEC?  That's truly horrid.  That's bad even by Vandy standards. Right smack in the middle of it he lost to UK and broke a 27-game win streak in a game the players basically dialed in cause he could not even motivate them.  It also led to our second straight losing season for the first time since the 60s and the departure of our DC and 7 other assistant coaches.  Only the OC and WR coaches stayed.

So when Dooley left, we actually had 2 walk-ons in the defensive backfield 2-deep.  That year our fastest DB ran a 4.7 at the NFL combine.   I am not making that shizzle up.

So whether you like it or not, what we have this season, losses and all, is a big improvement.  Could it be better and is a lot of that on Butch?  Hell yes, but in spite of that he still has us moving in the right direction.   Hopefully he will continue to learn and improve like others before him have.

Which brings me to my point.  Independant of Butch, your expectations are inflated, period, dot.  I have no doubt that a saban or meyer or harbaugh would have the Vols playing better and winning more.  But two things....I doubt even any of them could win an SECC this year starting from where Butch started, and....most important....if you want to get rid of Butch, good luck getting one of those guys, they are really hard to find.  

I will be far less tolerant of Butch next year.  I just don't want more instability.  2009-2012 showed me just how bad things can get.  And that's a lot, lot LOT worse than where we are today.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 05:28:25 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2015, 05:29:20 EDT »

It isn't that you question the coaching. Some things should be questioned.  Believe it or not, I was once on the other side of this.  I often questioned Majors late in his tenure (but who didn't?) and I was glad to see him go.  I questioned Chavis early on, when he couldn't seem to stop Florida for love or money.  The worst with Chavis was 1997 when Peyton was a senior.  Florida scored 4 TDs on offense (and one on D).  Their 4 offensive TDs came on three 3rd and 10s and one 4th and 10.  On every occasion we rushed three DL and dropped 8 in coverage.

Holy fizzleing shizzle.  You would think Chavis would learn.  I complained about that on the old Vol Chat and got shouted at.  There were three posters on that site that felt it was their obligation to attack anyone questioning the coaches for any reason whatsoever.  It was ridiculous.  I told them a blind 85 year old woman could see that you can't play prevent against SOS, he will eat you alive.

Well guess what?  The next year Chavis consistently blitzed with 5 and 6 pretty much the entire game and we finally beat those #badword#s.  And yes, we lost more games to Florida, but never again did their offense score so effortlessly as it did from 1995-1997 when Chavis was young and dumb.

Honestly he never completely learned his lesson on the prevent, but at least it became an occasional thing and not the norm.

So three things.  Nothing wrong with questioning the coaches, particularly if its deserved.  Two, coaches can learn.  Chavis did.  Do I wish it wasn't on the job, and should we not have lost all the games 95-97 to Florida?  Yes and yes, but at least he finally did figure it out.  Three, the criticism of Chavis in 1997 was, IMO, more deserved because that Vol team was simply loaded...I mean LOADED with talent!  Practically every roster spot that year ended up in the NFL in one capacity or another, and Peyton Freaking Manning was our QB.

Don't know if you have noticed or not, but we are still nowhere near that level of talent.  I'd say we only have 5-6 players that are a lock for the NFL, if that, although a lot of the frosh and sophomores might develop that way.

^Good post!

Boy do I remember those Vol Chat days and the heavy handed quick to ban Mods. The last years of Fulmer were epic over there. Good thing about that site.....some other good UT boards were formed because of those a$$holes. It's a shell of it's former self now....back in the early to late 90's it was a good board and a thread would be buried on page 3 in 4 hours unless it was a super-hot thread. Threads stay on page 1 for days now. They flat ran off some good posters over the years.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: