VTTW Board Index
May 14, 2024, 07:18:35 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dartmouth players want to unionize  (Read 467 times)
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2024, 12:20:16 EST »

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39466589/nlrb-regional-official-clears-way-dartmouth-hoops-union

Maybe these athletes should be careful what they ask for.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2024, 12:44:49 EST »

Then...left them pay for room and board...meals etc. They have to pay for their schooling...no more scholarships to pay for schooling. The school will provide uniforms and healthcare and travel expenses to away games.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2024, 01:42:15 EST »

I keep wondering how this is all going to work if athletes become employees of the universities. There are multiple potential issues, I think, but I would think that Title IX might be the most limiting for schools.

I?ll admit that I?m not educated in the aspects of all this, but if football players become employees then how do schools keep from having to employ all athletes in all sports? Would pay need to be equal across all sports? Would the schools be required to pay out the same total salaries for females as they would for men?

I?ve said since this all broke loose that I believed it could eventually end college athletics as we know them. I hope that I?m wrong, because I just don?t see the Knoxville Volunteers drawing nearly the interest that exists for the University of Tennessee Volunteers.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 01:43:56 EST by JeffCountyVolFan » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2024, 06:41:31 EST »

Yeah, isn't one of the purposes of a union to standardize wages?  Goes directly against how athletics tends to work.

Then again, the NFL has been unionized a long time and has huge salary discrepancies. 

But I guess if we draw on that analogy...the NFL union ensures things like a standard minimum salary. So I could see them going down that road.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2024, 10:51:24 EST »

Why even make them go to school. None of the 5* players are there for school. Only go because they have to. Just make the players employees/entertainers  for the school. That's all they are now. Student part of student athlete is a joke nowadays anyhow. So if they are employees of the school, can they be fired if they are a bust?

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2024, 01:08:46 EST »

Why even make them go to school. None of the 5* players are there for school. Only go because they have to. Just make the players employees/entertainers  for the school. That's all they are now. Student part of student athlete is a joke nowadays anyhow. So if they are employees of the school, can they be fired if they are a bust?

Sadly, I agree.  The free education probably hardly matters to most of them.  It does to some of their momma's though, and that will always be true for some of them.  But otherwise...sadly...education of these athletes is a joke.   

Having said that, not all of them will make the NFL, in which case having a degree does matter to some extent.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2024, 01:19:34 EST »

Sadly, I agree.  The free education probably hardly matters to most of them.  It does to some of their momma's though, and that will always be true for some of them.  But otherwise...sadly...education of these athletes is a joke.   

Having said that, not all of them will make the NFL, in which case having a degree does matter to some extent.

Here is his last interview
(also covers the background to Don't let the old man in)

https://x.com/fightoracle/status/1754791230985134429?s=20

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2024, 01:50:47 EST »

I believe we could eventually see players becoming full time ?college? football players - no more 5 to play 4. Unlimited eligibility could become a thing for those who can?t make the league.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: