VTTW Board Index
May 12, 2024, 11:32:55 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just strolling down memory lane. My late father and I attended a lot  (Read 2551 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2012, 12:56:43 EDT »

of UT home games in the early/late seventies. I was just trying to remember all the games that stood out and I still have much recollection of. The two that stick in my mind are Ole Miss and Kansas. I don't know why these games stick out but what I remember most is Ole Miss had a QB named Norris Weese. It seems like he ran for 500 yards by himself. I'm sure he didn't run for nearly that much, but he just comes to mind. The other game, Kansas , I remember they had a QB named Nolan Cromwell. What I remember is that he was tough on the Vols defense. He later was a pretty good DB in the NFL. Anyone else remember these guys or these games? I saw the Vols play ALA, Auburn, UGa, and LSU back in the 70's, it's just weird these games stick out in my mind.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 01:21:45 EDT »

of UT home games in the early/late seventies. I was just trying to remember all the games that stood out and I still have much recollection of. The two that stick in my mind are Ole Miss and Kansas. I don't know why these games stick out but what I remember most is Ole Miss had a QB named Norris Weese. It seems like he ran for 500 yards by himself. I'm sure he didn't run for nearly that much, but he just comes to mind. The other game, Kansas , I remember they had a QB named Nolan Cromwell. What I remember is that he was tough on the Vols defense. He later was a pretty good DB in the NFL. Anyone else remember these guys or these games? I saw the Vols play ALA, Auburn, UGa, and LSU back in the 70's, it's just weird these games stick out in my mind.

Don't remember either one...didn't move to Ktown until 1982 and didn't attend a game till 85.

I did happen to notice one time that a Kansas QB is tied with Tim Couch for the passes completed against us record, and I was like "Kansas?  really?".  that may be the game you are thinking of...I am pretty sure it was in the 70s.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 01:37:22 EDT »

Don't remember either one...didn't move to Ktown until 1982 and didn't attend a game till 85.

I did happen to notice one time that a Kansas QB is tied with Tim Couch for the passes completed against us record, and I was like "Kansas?  really?".  that may be the game you are thinking of...I am pretty sure it was in the 70s.

That might have been David Jaynes who was the QB for Kansas when they played the Vols in 73. He was eating the Vols up when he looked over at the Vols sideline and sort of sneered at them. Fortunately, the Vols took offense and won 28-27.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 02:30:14 EDT »

reason.

volsboyinsodak
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 02:58:15 EDT »

That might have been David Jaynes who was the QB for Kansas when they played the Vols in 73. He was eating the Vols up when he looked over at the Vols sideline and sort of sneered at them. Fortunately, the Vols took offense and won 28-27.

This is who I thought of, Jaynes, but I thought it was in the late 70s. Maybe that was Spurriers Duke team. They actually beat UT at Neyland somewhere in similar time frame.
Volengineer
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 03:28:33 EDT »

Spurrier's Duke team beat the Vols in either 88 or 89.  I was at that game.  It was the start of the hate-hate relationship I have with him to this day.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: