VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 09:23:37 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Report  (Read 3407 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2012, 02:37:05 EDT »

14 hours door to door makes for a long day.

Offense
QB:  A good game for Bray.  He took care of the ball, moved around in the pocket, threw well and actually went through his reads – the TD to Dallas I think Dallas was his 3rd receiver on the play.  The fumble, nice play by the defense.  Played well enough to win.
RB:  showed flashes at times.  Lane ran as hard as he has all year.  Picked up blitzes well.  Young, not many chances and not as good, though he was the “FB” on one of CP’s runs.  Que one good run, one not so good in two chances.
WR:  Best game in a good while.  Hunter back to form.  ZRO excellent game with a nice drag for a TD.  For the most part they couldn’t cover him.  Dallas played well, even when not thrown to.  CP, still needs to work on his route structure, cost us one catch running at half speed.  Pig is going to be good, really improved routes since the UGA game.
OL: Did ok.  Unless the fumble counts as a sack I don’t think they allowed one.  Run blocking was adequate against a tough OL.  Adjusted to blitzes well. 
Bottom line is we scored 35 points against a good defense.

Defense
DL:  Played OK, best of the defense.  You could tell the main goal was containment.  Also really played the run well.  Really only one gash.  #98 blew up at least two runs all by himself.
LB:  Still uneven.  Except for three runs played the run well, especially after Lattimore was hurt.  How come Williams was apparently the only person in the stadium who didn’t think Shaw was going to keep the ball on their TD at the half?  In passing for the most part still a liability.  In static zone they play ok but in space – forget about it.
DB:  Still suck, especially the safeties.  Though in the 2nd half we tried some things.  Gray played for Waggner a lot from mid way in the 3rd till their last series and either SCe didn’t notice or he played well because the never threw at him.  Brewer spelled Moore several times in the 2nd half, including starting at safety in the 2nd half.  Moore made one saving tackle, the rest is forgettable, including totally screwing up a coverage that resulted in a TD – he seemed the only one on the field that apparently didn’t know we were playing 3 deep.  McNeil was not appreciably better, though at least he reacts quicker. 
We contained Shaw better in the 2nd half – though IMO if a QB takes the ball on a designed run he should NOT be allowed to slide!

Special Teams
The rugby kick should be BANNED.  The wind affected the kicking game all day and in the end it did not cost us.  Putting CP back on the last punt was a good move though it didn’t work out due to the wind

Coaching
Not bad.  We rotated receivers to keep them fresh and really the backups played we..
On the Pig TD pass I am convinced we were going to pass out of that formation against bamer but Hunter was covered.  Nice call, totally fooled SCe.
Nice adjustments by Sal at halftime.  The defense for the most part played a lot better in the 2nd half.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 02:49:43 EDT »

Couple of things I'd like to see on defense:
Toney in for Gordon.  Gordon can't cover his own shadow (Toney was in for a couple of plays after a  particularly bad attempt at coverage by Gordon). 
Gray more time at corner and Waggner move back to safety, we really need help at safety, BAD!
Saip more PT at linebacker. 
Speaking of LB, play some more kids agaisnt Troy.  Maybe if given a chance they can show they are an option going forward.
If we are going to play the jack on the line, just go bavk to a 4 man line

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 04:31:54 EDT »

One other point.
Sentimore had a really nice play on their toss reverse.  He didn't get the tackle but he stayed home and force the runner deep, giving the calvery time to get to the runner for little gain.  Really  a nice disiplined play.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 02:53:05 EDT »

Agree. My 14 hour door to door was rather lengthly as well. Team had multiple opportunities to lay down during the game and did not do so, contrary to what was thought from the entire civilized world. Other thoughts are:

1) #54 will be a fine player going forward. He played well for a RFR, keeping containment and holding against the run.
2) The OL played exceptionally well IMO, especially the OT's. They held Clowney and Taylor pretty much in check all game except for the last few minutes of the game.
3) Sprurrier even mentioned they had to move Clowney inside to get a pass rush over our OG's versus our OT's the last series. We got beat by what might be the best player in college football (Clowney).
4) All the flack Rogers has taken over the years can now go quite after his play yesterday.
5) Gray played well the last part of the game and I agree getting Wagner back to FS and inserting another CB may be the best option.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 04:04:05 EDT »

5) Gray played well the last part of the game and I agree getting Wagner back to FS and inserting another CB may be the best option.

Gray did play very well.  Stayed tight in coverage on the plays I watched.  That's very hopeful for the future, as our glaring weaknesses seem to be at DB.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 05:42:18 EDT »

Just watched their last TD before the half and just poor play.  Williams comes on late and frankly does what our edges have done for years, if not a decade or more, crashes inside and leaves the edge unprotected.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 08:41:40 EDT »

Just watched their last TD before the half and just poor play.  Williams comes on late and frankly does what our edges have done for years, if not a decade or more, crashes inside and leaves the edge unprotected.

You're talking about the uncovered run?   Yeah, I questioned sending him into that situation, but what do I know.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 09:03:51 EDT »

They had us with the formation. We were in Man with no secondary help on that side ... not that it may have mattered.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 10:02:54 EDT »

They had us with the formation. We were in Man with no secondary help on that side ... not that it may have mattered.
The end of the line, in this case Williams, has to force up field to stop the bounce ot the outside that occured.  If you look at the play you will notice that SCe and Shaw expected Williams to pinch inside (why not, it is what we do) so he just took the snap and ran directly to the outside.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: