VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 08:45:39 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What does it say about the strength of this year's NCAAT field...  (Read 3589 times)
Creek Walker
« on: February 16, 2014, 06:15:52 EST »

...that Lunardi STILL has Tennessee as one of his "last four in"?

And is it bad of me, as a fan, to hope that Lunardi is actually wrong for once? I don't think there's a very good chance that Cuonzo is canned even if he fails to get in. But it's certainly greater than his chance of getting canned if he does get in.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 02:37:17 EST »

And is it bad of me, as a fan, to hope that Lunardi is actually wrong for once? I don't think there's a very good chance that Cuonzo is canned even if he fails to get in. But it's certainly greater than his chance of getting canned if he does get in.

Right now, we're hanging on by a thread because of a strong SOS.  But our remaining schedule is so bad that it will hurt our RPI even if we win them all (which we won't).  Short of winning the SEC Tourney (LOL), this team isn't going dancing.  In fact, I think even the NIT is in doubt at this point (not that anyone would care).

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 03:41:39 EST »

Right now, we're hanging on by a thread because of a strong SOS.  But our remaining schedule is so bad that it will hurt our RPI even if we win them all (which we won't).  Short of winning the SEC Tourney (LOL), this team isn't going dancing.  In fact, I think even the NIT is in doubt at this point (not that anyone would care).

And that SOS is so illusory. We've beaten a grand total of two tournament teams.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 03:46:28 EST »

Correction: Lunardi actually has UT as one of his last 4 byes. So, heck, we're safe.

I don't think the NIT is in jeopardy; no way this team loses out. But, yeah, the NCAAT isn't happening. Surely. To. Goodness. After the last two years though, I guess we should never say never.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 03:55:23 EST »

Correction: Lunardi actually has UT as one of his last 4 byes. So, heck, we're safe.

I don't think the NIT is in jeopardy; no way this team loses out. But, yeah, the NCAAT isn't happening. Surely. To. Goodness. After the last two years though, I guess we should never say never.

Don't just take an NIT bid for granted.  Remember, their selection process has changed.  Regular season conference champs who lost their conference tourney get an auto-bid.  The at-large bids go through a selection formula similar to the one the NCAA uses.  They don't just pick the teams that will draw the biggest crowds and TV ratings anymore.  There have been some pretty decent teams left out of the NIT in recent years.

Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 04:04:36 EST »

Don't just take an NIT bid for granted.  Remember, their selection process has changed.  Regular season conference champs who lost their conference tourney get an auto-bid.  The at-large bids go through a selection formula similar to the one the NCAA uses.  They don't just pick the teams that will draw the biggest crowds and TV ratings anymore.  There have been some pretty decent teams left out of the NIT in recent years.

Let's assume UT splits the rest of the way, finishes the regular season 18-13, and is one-and-done in the SECT. I think that's a solid NIT bid. Would I care if that invite didn't come? Not a bit. In fact, I'd be just fine with that, because it would heighten the chances of Cuonzo's departure just a bit more. But there would have to be a pretty epic collapse for this UT team to be left out of the postseason entirely.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 05:22:42 EST »

Based on a article I read last night the only 2 teams in the SEC in for sure right now is FLA and KY. with UT and Mizzou on the bubble. If us and Mizzou do get in, having only 4 teams from a 14 team conference is downright pitiful.
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 12:13:11 EST »

Right now if Martin is invited to the NIT it will be his last tournament as a Head Coach in the SEC.

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 06:36:11 EST »

I don't think the NIT is in doubt unless we really eff up.

We could make the Dance by winning out, though I don't think we will. 

I still want to make the Dance, just a big homer that always wants UT to do well.  Don't believe in rooting against the Vols just because I don't like the coach.

We could make the Dance, stranger things have happened....but it will be a pleasant surprise if we do.

The Mizzou game was frustrating, but we hung with them to the end.   We gave UF a good game.  There is no team left on our schedule that I think "should" beat us, including Mizzou at home.  But we will see....

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: