VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 07:44:34 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CFB attendance trends are not encouraging....  (Read 919 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2022, 10:26:59 EST »

https://thespun.com/college-football/college-football-attendance-numbers-are-out-for-2021-season?fbclid=IwAR3SA3vVDgYDsYOK_ujp_94wff7_j5n0XT7bF367KHoJq-nnb8y5ZSMvHt0
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2022, 12:59:32 EST »

I hate to say a big reason is because the SEC has dominated the sport the last 20+ years. Non-SEC fans have SEC fatigue. Heck, most of us do too.

volsboyinsodak
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2022, 01:47:42 EST »

Kinda makes sense that we are reducing the capacity of Neyland, based on the trends.  I hate it, but it makes sense.
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2022, 06:57:45 EST »

I hate to say a big reason is because the SEC has dominated the sport the last 20+ years. Non-SEC fans have SEC fatigue. Heck, most of us do too.

I'd say that's pretty low on the list, certainly behind the fact that every game is available in HD, big-screen TVs are much more affordable than they used to be, and maybe the biggest reason: ticket prices, which were high 20 years ago, before the Saban era ignited the arms race that has led to ballooning budgets in every P5 program.

I went to 2 games this past season. There was a time when I wouldn't have missed a home game. It's just too much money. If my wife and kids go with me, it costs almost $500 for a single game by the time you factor in parking, concessions, etc. I love the pageantry of a college football gameday. But more and more I'd rather be at home with 3 different big screens playing 3 different games, a hunk of meat in the smoker, and a few friends over. Way cheaper and, to be honest, probably more enjoyable.

And, while it does make sense to reduce the capacity of Neyland as Vinnie said, the end result of that is going to be even higher ticket prices for the marquee games that people actually want to attend.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2022, 07:08:25 EST »

Kinda makes sense that we are reducing the capacity of Neyland, based on the trends.  I hate it, but it makes sense.
They may be reducing the capacity but the remaining capacity will bring in greater revenue
The party deck (which has ZERO seats), the new west side club seating all will increase revenue, for fewer seats.
BTW, should post warning signs in sections Y7 - Y9 to beware of flying mustard bottles from the party deck

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2022, 07:16:52 EST »

NCAA suggesting shortening the game by not stopping the clock on incomplete passes and first downs. I'm not at all surprised that they would suggest a move like this. The games have become too long due in large part to TV timeouts, overly time consuming replays, and so many fake injuries. To counteract that, let's reduce the number of plays that will actually be possible in a game.

I'm not a fan!!!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 07:18:41 EST by JeffCountyVolFan » Logged
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2022, 07:22:29 EST »

As for attendance, I absolutely believe that the fact that only 5 or 6 teams have a realistic shot at a national championship every season is a big factor in the declining attendance.

Last weekend we watched 7 of the top ten teams in basketball lose. For me, I would love it if that was possible in NCAA football but we all know that it isn't likely under the current format.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2022, 07:51:27 EST »

A couple other factors:

The schedules are getting worse. Remember back in the 80s and 90s when we’d play 2-3 P5 OOC opponents in addition to the SEC slate? Now we play one at most, and it’s usually at a neutral site. The others have been replaced with guarantee games against 3-4 tomato cans. No one wants to sit in 100 degree September heat to watch a scrimmage against Kennesaw State. Also, the divisional format has bred too much familiarity in SEC games. Sure, we can get rowdy for UF and UGA every year. But the annual games against SC, Mizzou, UK, etc. can frankly get boring and repetitive.  Meanwhile, we have to wait nearly a decade between games with AU, LSU, and aTm.

Also, the stadiums have all gotten bigger. You’re seeing a proliferation of 2nd and even 3rd decks. And nearly every school has moved most of their visitors seating to the very top.  Why drive hundreds of miles to sit in a seat where the game is but a faint rumor, when you can stay home and watch in comfort? Those unsold seats are usually returned a day or two before the game, and the home team usually can’t sell them on that short notice.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2022, 07:43:25 EST »

NCAA suggesting shortening the game by not stopping the clock on incomplete passes and first downs. I'm not at all surprised that they would suggest a move like this. The games have become too long due in large part to TV timeouts, overly time consuming replays, and so many fake injuries. To counteract that, let's reduce the number of plays that will actually be possible in a game.

I'm not a fan!!!

Yeah eff that.  They tried not stopping the clock on OOB back in 2008, which helped us lose to AU (as bad as that team is we likley lose anyone, but still).  They scrapped it.  So yeah, not a fan at all.

I suppose they could scrap stopping the clock for first downs to match the NFL, but I actually like that rule. So...   NCAA and TV. Hands off, or  you will dilute the product

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: