VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 06:10:48 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your NCAAT expectations?  (Read 837 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2022, 12:30:56 EST »

The NCAAT is all about guard play. For the first time in a long time, we bring 3 big time guards, and sometimes all three play at the same time. This team could do well.

I think they get to the sweet 16, and then it's a little bit of luck. You don't want to run into a hot team like Loyola Chicago that year, or last year with Oregon state. The team can sometimes go into offensive funks too.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2022, 12:43:29 EST »

It’s hard for me to have any real expectations.  We could lose early and I wouldn’t be surprised at all.

When we play like we’re capable of, I’d say Elite 8.  Then hopefully get fortunate enough to advance further.

But we have scoring droughts way too often for me to be comfortable expecting anything.  The question is, how do we score when the 3s aren’t falling?
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2022, 01:04:04 EST »

I would say that I agree with Vinnie.

One win is a must - there is no excuse for losing in round one.  I think that not making it past the first weekend should be a huge disappointment for this team. 

That said, the way this team has problems with scoring, anything is possible I think.

If they can stay away from scoring droughts, the final four is even a possibility depending on the draw.
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2022, 01:13:38 EST »

I'm racking my brain trying to think of the last time a team that's built like ours made a deep postseason run. I can't think of one right off. I think teams that are built like ours tend to fizzle pretty quickly in March.

When these guys play like they did in the first half against Arkansas, they're really fun to watch. But there are also times when they're almost unwatchable. Unfortunately I'll be shocked if that side doesn't rear its ugly head pretty early in the tourney ... maybe even the first weekend.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2022, 03:28:48 EST »

I'm racking my brain trying to think of the last time a team that's built like ours made a deep postseason run. I can't think of one right off. I think teams that are built like ours tend to fizzle pretty quickly in March.

When these guys play like they did in the first half against Arkansas, they're really fun to watch. But there are also times when they're almost unwatchable. Unfortunately I'll be shocked if that side doesn't rear its ugly head pretty early in the tourney ... maybe even the first weekend.

Arkansas game was maddening because we saw the two extremes in the same game.   
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2022, 03:53:57 EST »

I think the difference in the Arkansas game was that we went into “run the clock mode” really early, which took us out of our normal offense. Lots of times we can’t score simply because we can’t score, not because we have stopped being the aggressor.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2022, 04:20:44 EST »

Disagree. Our roster is built for postseason play. Strong backcourt play, multiple ballhandlers, strong defense, not excessive depth, but 2-3 great bench pieces (teams that rely on going 10 deep usually find that advantage negated in march due to generally more relaxed whistles and longer commercial breaks). That’s the blueprint. Teams have won big with rosters like ours.

That’s not to say I’m expecting a Final four run. I’m not. But we’ve never gone to the postseason with a group of guards this good.

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2022, 05:24:48 EST »

Depends on which team hits the court for us. The brickshooting team or the team that can hit a few threes. I have no real expectations. We could be one and done or elite eight or better. This team is too schizophrenic. Unfortunately, Barnes didn't get the name First Round Rick by accident. Hope they surprise us. NCAAT really depends on the teams we draw and how we match up. We shall see. What kind of team do we match up bad with?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 05:30:18 EST by volsboy » Logged

volsboyinsodak
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2022, 04:26:55 EST »

We just don't handle success well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: