VTTW Board Index
May 18, 2024, 04:14:49 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Late Observations of the game and the state of the football team  (Read 2778 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2012, 03:13:40 EDT »

So I did not get to watch the game live, I had to go to Louisville for a dance event (I have daughters). However, after watching the recording last night, I’d like to make a few points. I apologize if others have made the same points, I have not had time to read them.

1 – This team is getting better. I know, we looked bad on defense, it looks to me we’re about 2-3 good players away from being able to be better on the edge. Speed is lacking at LB, especially outside, and our secondary is not good. That is taken care of with recruiting. However, the team fought, we scored 44 points on a pretty good UGA defense, and the OL kept Bray clean. Jarvis Jones, who some say is the #1 pick in the draft, was held in check.
2 – OL, again – did play well. They are getting meaner and better. I credit Pittman
3 – Neal is getting better. I credit Graham. He is starting to look like a top tier SEC back, and he is on pace to have a 1000 yard season.   
4 – Bray is still the leading passer in the SEC, and he is on pace to easily surpass 3000 yards. He has passed for 1582 yards now, with 14 Tds and 6 ints. If he keeps that average, he will pass for close to 3800 yards and 34 TDs, with 14 interceptions. The problem is that the ints have come at bad moments. However, ask yourself without Bray how badly do we lose that game? Bray can improve and he will. Needs to get over the hump…but I sense it’s getting closer with him.
5 – I think the team gained some confidence offensively. They went up against a top tier defense and scored 44 points. Ok, 7 were on a pick 6. Still pretty good.
6 – Defense. Bad, but that was the best offense we will see this year. Giving up too many big plays. I do want to see McCullers more. We lack LBs, and we lack DBs with speed. I am hopeful McNeil, Bonner, and Gray will mature more and more into the season, because they have SEC speed.
7 – Kicking game. WTF

8 - MSU is pretty much a must win. I know they’re 4-0, but they’re a team we should beat if we’re going to say we’re improving. SCe. All I can say is that if we can score on UGA we should score on SCe. Bama….could be interesting. Bama looks good but something is missing from this team. I think we can score on them. UT has to learn to win…and I think they will be in close games the next three. Can they win?

What would you all say if we go 2-1 the next 3 games? I think it’s possible we will. Offense will continue to get better and I am hopeful Sal can make some adjustments to the defense. We’re not going to see a better offensive team the rest of the season than UGA. I know many are ready to get rid of Dooley, but I still say wait and see…we’re close. Very close.

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 03:25:05 EDT »

All of what you say is true, but close only counts in hand grenades and horseshoes. We need wins.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 03:29:25 EDT »

We go 2-1 over the next 3 (and don't lose any others), Dooley gets another year from me.  But I don't think it will happen.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 03:34:29 EDT »

We go 2-1 over the next 3 (and don't lose any others), Dooley gets another year from me.  But I don't think it will happen.

I think it could. Likely 1-2 though. Going 0-3 would be really disastrous, but I still sense that this team is close.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 03:35:02 EDT »

All of what you say is true, but close only counts in hand grenades and horseshoes. We need wins.

I agree that we're starved for wins and the fanbase is impatient.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 03:35:33 EDT »

Nut, we're pretty much on the same page.  It's all going to play out over the next 4 weeks, hopefully in a good way.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 03:36:40 EDT »

I'm discouraged by the loss, though it was one I expected us to lose before the season. That having been said I was very encouraged by the team not quitting. Players and coaches deserve credit for that.

One thing I like is the staff attempting to correct obvious shortcomings. They substituted better than they did against UF and Neal is a much better back than he was last year. The run game (OL is much improved) has made massive strides this year.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 03:42:27 EDT by murfvol » Logged

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 03:47:51 EDT »

I'm discouraged by the loss, though it was one I expected us to lose before the season. That having been said I was very encouraged by the team not quitting. Players and coaches deserve credit for that.

One thing I like is the staff attempting to correct obvious shortcomings. They substituted better than they did against UF and Neal is a much better back than he was last year. The run game (OL is much improved) has made massive strides this year.

Becoming a winning team takes steps I suppose. We'll get there, I think.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: