VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 08:43:30 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Three more scholarships opened up........  (Read 4052 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2015, 12:45:41 EST »

http://www.knoxnews.com/govolsxtra/football/jenkins-wharton-granted-releases-sawyers-dismissed_42943570
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 12:47:44 EST »

Two of those will be used by the blueshirts coming in with the 2015 class. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 01:13:34 EST »

Two of those will be used by the blueshirts coming in with the 2015 class. 

So if I understand this correctly (and there's a good chance I don't) those former blue shirts will now count for this year and not the next.
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 01:37:51 EST »

I will take a swing at this, but don't take it as gospel.  As I understand it, the blueshirts will count against next years initial counters rather than this years, but will obviously count as soon as they are on scholarship against the 85.

So if I understand this correctly (and there's a good chance I don't) those former blue shirts will now count for this year and not the next.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 04:51:01 EST »

No, they don't count against either class, but they do count against the 85 total.  

Yep, it doesn't make sense, but that's how it works.  Wouldn't surprise me to see that loophole closed soon. 

They come in initially as "walk ons" but once they start practice they are put on scholarship.  

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 02:36:55 EST »

No, they don't count against either class, but they do count against the 85 total.  

Yep, it doesn't make sense, but that's how it works.  Wouldn't surprise me to see that loophole closed soon. 

They come in initially as "walk ons" but once they start practice they are put on scholarship.  

The blueshirts do count against the '16 class.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 03:19:48 EST »

The blueshirts do count against the '16 class.

According to whom, CO? 

The high school coach of one of the blueshirts told me differently, and his info came from Butch. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
10EC
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 03:58:13 EST »

According to whom, CO? 

The high school coach of one of the blueshirts told me differently, and his info came from Butch. 

http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/story?id=10431213
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 04:20:15 EST »

According to whom, CO? 

Coach Duncan is mistaken. Either he misunderstood, or Butch misspoke.

Quote from: NCAA Bylaw 15.5.6.3.4

Nonrecruited Student-Athlete Receiving Institutional Financial Aid. (FBS/FCS) A student-athlete not recruited (per Bylaw 15.02.8) by the institution who receives institutional financial aid (based in any degree on athletics ability) after beginning football practice becomes a counter but need not be counted as an initial counter until the next academic year if the institution has reached its initial limit for the year in question. However, the student-athlete shall be considered in the total counter limit for the academic year in which the aid was first received. (Revised: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

This is the so-called blueshirt. They are an initial counter either in that year or in the next-- for Bruce et al. it has to be the next, 2016.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: