VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 10:57:21 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looks like DeBord is about to become official  (Read 9259 times)
Creek Walker
« on: February 05, 2015, 09:14:49 EST »

This generates a big ol' "meh" reaction from me. But, at the end of the day, Butch will live and die by his assistants. He might as well hire the ones he's most comfortable with.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 09:23:10 EST »

Imo the portion of the fanbase that's on the ledge is overreacting.  Butch knows the stakes, like you said.

Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 09:29:34 EST »

My reaction is believe in Butch.  Has he giving us one reason not to?  People didn't like it when he was hired.  Then they didn't like his assistants.  Then they said him and his staff couldn't recruit against Saban, Miles, Meyer, etc.  After bringing in two full classes of Top 5 national recruits in two years, I think the fans need to back off and trust Butch.  He has earned our trust at this point.
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 09:31:22 EST »

From what I read, DeBord is just going to run Butch's offense and not really have any influence on offensive scheme. At this point we have to ride with Butch. So far, so good.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 10:28:18 EST »

From what I read, DeBord is just going to run Butch's offense and not really have any influence on offensive scheme. At this point we have to ride with Butch. So far, so good.

Yep, i'm not that worried about the influence on scheme, and DeBord's history is running tough and physical offenses-- if he injects that attitude I like it.

The question will be who coaches QBs.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 10:35:54 EST »

Yep, i'm not that worried about the influence on scheme, and DeBord's history is running tough and physical offenses-- if he injects that attitude I like it.

The question will be who coaches QBs.

Peyton has to start somewhere.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 06:25:33 EST »

I just wanted someone who has been involved with a high energy offense. What happened to the TCU OC we were looking at? Now that guy can coordinate some offense. We just made another "who the hell is that" hire that I don't get.

volsboyinsodak
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 06:26:50 EST »

I just wanted someone who has been involved with a high energy offense. What happened to the TCU OC we were looking at? Now that guy can coordinate some offense. We just made another "who the hell is that" hire that I don't get.
Whatever

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 06:32:29 EST »

Copied from TOS.

Tom Brady: "The University of Tennessee has hired a great Offensive Coordinator in Mike Debord. Mike was my OC at the University of Michigan and helped me develop as a quarterback. He has great knowledge of offensive football and quarterback development and he will do a outstanding job at Tennessee.

Mike Holmgren - Former Head Coach Seattle Seahawks and Green Bay Packers,Super Bowl Champion Coach

"While our time together was short, Mike DeBord was one of the finest coaches I ever had. Mike was a great team guy on the staff and his outstanding football knowledge helped me in so many ways! The University of Tennessee is very lucky to have Mike DeBord."

Bill Lazor - Offensive Coordinator of the Miami Dolphins

"In hiring Mike DeBord, Tennessee is getting a great football coach. He has both a great understanding of the big picture and also the ability to see the details. I have seen first-hand what a fantastic teacher Mike is. He will do a great job developing quarterbacks, and he is a fierce competitor whose passion for the game is unmatched. The University of Tennessee's offense is in the hands of a great leader."

Matt Hasselbeck - Quarterback for Indianapolis Colts, 16-year NFL Veteran

"The University of Tennessee is lucky to have Mike DeBord. I've come to know Mike as a bright offensive mind who quickly gains the trust and respect of the coaches and players he works with."
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 06:55:35 EST »

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 08:30:00 EST »

If we hired the TCU OC we were not going to run the TCU offense. If we hired the Boise OC we were not going to run the Boise offense. We are going to run Butch's offense. We always were no matter who this hire was.

Butch hired a guy that he trusts to run his offense, coach his players up, and get it done on the recruiting trail. That's what we should have expected all along. That's what every one of his hires has been. It was never going to be a sexy hire because that's not what Butch Jones does.

Remember all the bitching because he brought so many Cincy staff with him? Remember the bitching about Jancek? Remember the disappointment when Tee didn't come back here and we hired Azzanni instead? Do we really have to do this every fizzleing time?

Has he given you any reason to doubt his staff yet? Maybe consider the possibility that Butch knows who will run his offense better than you do.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 08:53:48 EST »

I just wish it could have been you, you would have shown that Butch Jones some football.  I just figure if you don't get it, Butch Jones sure don't get it.  We are screwed!

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 09:02:51 EST »

If we hired the TCU OC we were not going to run the TCU offense. If we hired the Boise OC we were not going to run the Boise offense. We are going to run Butch's offense. We always were no matter who this hire was.

Butch hired a guy that he trusts to run his offense, coach his players up, and get it done on the recruiting trail. That's what we should have expected all along. That's what every one of his hires has been. It was never going to be a sexy hire because that's not what Butch Jones does.

Remember all the bitching because he brought so many Cincy staff with him? Remember the bitching about Jancek? Remember the disappointment when Tee didn't come back here and we hired Azzanni instead? Do we really have to do this every fizzleing time?

Has he given you any reason to doubt his staff yet? Maybe consider the possibility that Butch knows who will run his offense better than you do.

^This
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2015, 09:20:51 EST »

Word

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 10:03:45 EST »

I like Butch and think he is the right guy. But you ask what has he and his staff done to not trust them. Well, one is not having Dobbs in from day one. Another is losing to UF. I just want to see well a coached team. This team does play with more fire than teams before Butch took over. They are also a lot more disciplined. He will get the job done. I just hope he's a coach that can win with X's and O's coaching. I just don't want another coach that can only win by having more talent than everybody. Fulmer was that.

volsboyinsodak
10EC
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2015, 10:55:50 EST »

I just don't want another coach that can only win by having more talent than everybody.

Uh, Saban.....  ???
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2015, 11:08:54 EST »

I like Butch and think he is the right guy. But you ask what has he and his staff done to not trust them. Well, one is not having Dobbs in from day one. Another is losing to UF. I just want to see well a coached team. This team does play with more fire than teams before Butch took over. They are also a lot more disciplined. He will get the job done. I just hope he's a coach that can win with X's and O's coaching. I just don't want another coach that can only win by having more talent than everybody. Fulmer was that.
can u read?

Dobbs CLEARLY was not ready to play early in the year.  noted by anyone watching practice in August and even into the year.  He had not improved over his poor performances the year before.  Some had noted that the seemed a little brighter towards the middle of the season.

Hell, even the last 4 games there was plenty of evidence that Dobbs didn't have "it" yet and I'm not sure he has it yet, though I saw improvement as he gained some confidence.

Is he the starter now, yes.  But until he improves his medium to long passes he and the offense will struggle against good teams.  He only had one receiver, Pig, who he seemed to have confidence in.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2015, 12:16:34 EST »

Dobbs was better than Worley in every game Dobbs played this season. Who's fault was the UF loss? I say that lies on the coach.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 12:20:02 EST by volsboy » Logged

volsboyinsodak
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2015, 03:37:26 EST »

Dobbs was better than Worley in every game Dobbs played this season. Who's fault was the UF loss? I say that lies on the coach.
Would you like to call a friend??

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2015, 05:10:21 EST »

Disagree...Dobbs was pretty bad against vandy and worley looked much better in his early games.  Worley played his last few games banged up.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2015, 06:54:59 EST »

I am over critical, just got spoiled from all the good times of the late 90's. I want some more SEC championships. If those happen then NC's will follow. Butch is the right guy. It takes time and that is the hardest part for us fans. We wanna win now. Can't wait for this new class to come in and get started. We still have an extremely young team. These new guys will push the current players to be better if they still want to be starters.

volsboyinsodak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: