VTTW Board Index
May 04, 2024, 02:07:57 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My guess as to Butch's reasoning re: DeBord  (Read 1367 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2015, 09:02:55 EST »

We're entering a 2-3 year window where we can compete for championships before re-tooling the roster again.  Stability is paramount right now.  The time may come to install a new offense, but now is not that time. 

For this particular situation, DeBord is perfect because:

1.  He's not going to coach for 20 years.  He can stay here for 3-4 years and make this his "last hurrah" before retiring for good.

2.  As he's been out of coaching for a couple seasons, he's a "clean slate" guy.  Meaning he's not going to insist on bringing in his own assistants, and he has no system of his own to install.  We'll have the same players, running the same system, with (mostly) the same position coaches.  Again: Stability.

3.  Butch is clearly more comfortable with DeBord than anyone else.  And as he's demonstrated over the past three years, his comfort level and previous experience with guys is the overriding factor in his hiring process.  It's worked out for him thus far.  As more and more of his coaches move on to other jobs, I think Butch is going to have to eventually move out of his comfort zone in his hires if he wants to remain competitive in the SEC.  But again, now is not that time.

4.  Finally, they didn't have to break the bank to get him, and thus had some funds left over to give promotions to Gillespie and Z.  Hopefully, this will keep those guys content and they will remain in Knoxville for a few more years.  For most any of the other names that were being bandied about, they would've have to shell out close to 7 figures or more, and the pool for the other assistants would've shrunk drastically.

So I'm on board.  I don't think a whole lot is going to change- except hopefully, some of the situational playcalling will improve. 

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 10:31:24 EST »

I am not filled with joy Re: the hire but I'm not going over the top anal retentive as many on VQ are.
I guess I'm in a wait and see. 
The reality is that our GA will be the primary QB coach and (I hope) the OC will "assist" with OL development. 
Now that I mention the OL, we were really a LT away from having a reasonable OL the last few games. 
Gilliam played pretty well at RT - who replaces him will be huge!
Robertson was playing VERY well.  He was a pulling monster, there is a reason we were left handed.
Crowder was playing OK.  For as much as I yelled about missed assignments we sure did miss him when he was hurt. 
Jackson was serviceable.  I hope we can upgrade at LG.  Can Thomas pick up the pace, I know they are grooming for center but he has good size and mobility for the OG position.
We need Blair to be able to play early on till Richmond and/or Jones are ready to play; at least 1 of the 2 will need to play this year.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: