VTTW Board Index
May 12, 2024, 12:25:50 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Currie did Vol Calls tonight.  (Read 2809 times)
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2017, 03:11:53 EDT »

First off, I didn't listen. From reading the VQ, he side-stepped a lot.

A couple of things he supposedly said:  "There's no problem you can't make worse by operating."
Talked about a close relationship with Butch. Also, most who posted said that he seemed very concerned about the size and attitude of the crowd for Saturday night (maybe why he was on - to try to encourage fan support).

Maybe it's just me, but with all the refusal from that office to inform the fan base in any way about the situation, his agreeing to do this show kind of comes across as a big FU to the fan base.

He better get this right or he's going to have a short tenure in this position, imo.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 04:09:18 EDT »

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/football/2017/10/30/tennessee-vols-football-john-currie-addresses-butch-jones-ut-southern-miss-hot-seat/815859001/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 04:18:10 EDT »

To give him the benefit of the doubt, if he was indeed appearing in the interest of the student athletes then that was admirable.
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 04:11:45 EDT »

I am getting tired of the ADs and college admins paying lip service to the "We are doing this for the student athletes" lies. They are in it for the money that sports brings in. If they really cared about the players, they would hire and fire coaches based on ability. Butch has had time to develop players and he has failed miserably.

Currie, you are in the big leagues now and not at Kansas State. Sometimes you have to do things that you personally do not want to do. If you really had the best interest of UT and the program in mind, you would send the message that failure to do your job is unacceptable. This is not college sports of 20, 15, or even 10 years ago where you could afford to keep deadwood in place until the end of the contract. Bite the bullet and announce Butch is fired. If you are waiting on a revolt and a lot of empty seats and a bad PR signal to gauge dissatisfaction, you are living in a dream world. Your job is to lead and not prop up a failed coach.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 08:14:27 EDT »

Honestly, I'm not even mad at Butch anymore.  In fact, I kinda feel sorry for him.  He has to go out there on Saturday knowing he's going to be loudly booed.  He has to do media 2-3 times a week knowing that the vast majority of the fans don't care what he has to say and have already checked out on the season.  He's done the best he can, but at this point he is what he is- and that's a mediocre football coach.  Currie isn't doing Butch any favors either, by leaving him twisting in the wind along with all of us.  I'm sure Butch is looking forward to getting out of this toxic environment, collecting his ample buyout, and getting to work finding another job for next year.  The sooner that happens, the better- for all involved.

As fans, our anger should now be directed squarely at John Currie and/or those who are pulling his strings.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 08:50:37 EDT »

Honestly, I'm not even mad at Butch anymore.  In fact, I kinda feel sorry for him.  He has to go out there on Saturday knowing he's going to be loudly booed.  He has to do media 2-3 times a week knowing that the vast majority of the fans don't care what he has to say and have already checked out on the season.  He's done the best he can, but at this point he is what he is- and that's a mediocre football coach.  Currie isn't doing Butch any favors either, by leaving him twisting in the wind along with all of us.  I'm sure Butch is looking forward to getting out of this toxic environment, collecting his ample buyout, and getting to work finding another job for next year.  The sooner that happens, the better- for all involved.

As fans, our anger should now be directed squarely at John Currie and/or those who are pulling his strings.

I get what you are saying, but IMO other than placating angry fans, it doesn't make a hill of beans difference if he's fired now or in late November.  What matters is who his replacement is, and to a much lesser extent, the effect on this year's recruiting class.

If that saves the AD the $2.4 million that has been reported, then maybe it even makes sense.   

Now, I will make an exception. I do want us to go at least 6-6 this year in order to qualify for a bowl.  That's important to give the new coach some time with the team and it also helps recruiting, which always suffers from a coaching change for at least the first year.   Additionally, I care more than the average fan about Tennessee's "place in history" and tradition, and just hate to see a losing season.  Having said that, I care much less about that this year.  I am currently about as apathetic as any fan of Tennessee about this season.

But again...the important thing is not for Currie to "scratch the itch" and fire Butch now because a lot of angry fans want it, but to ensure that the transition is smooth and that the next guy up is an improvement, particularly in game day skills, but can also recruit and do the organizing and admin of major P5 program.

Firing Butch now just because fans are angry would be Hamitonesque pandering to the mob IMO. True leadership is not following the angry mob, but doing the right thing in the right way in spite of it.  I am very happy with Currie's approach compared to say, the "twist in the wind weather vane" approach of Hamilton (March: give Fulmer extension, Nov: fire Fulmer, etc).

Having said that, he will be judged on how well his hire of the next football coach turns out.  No one can predict the future, it might go well,and it might not.  But let's take our time and get this one right! 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: