VTTW Board Index
May 17, 2024, 05:47:18 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Not impressed with some of Jones game plans or coaching moves. I thought we had  (Read 7329 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2014, 09:21:54 EDT »

the better team this year. He can recruit. Hopefully we can start out-talenting people soon.

volsboyinsodak
crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 09:40:20 EDT »

Wasn't impressed with the play calling at all,especially in the red zone..Was like Randy Sanders was back in the booth..Two interceptions by our D set up 1st and 10 in the red zone and they come out throwing the ball on 1st down..The first ends up in a turn over in the end zone...had they ran it 3 times and settled for the fg we win...Am tired of "Moral Victories" 
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 09:55:19 EDT »

I don't think you're going to hear anyone call thus a moral victory. In no way can it be construed as such.  This was a gut wrenching and heartbreaking loss in every way imaginable.
crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 10:15:28 EDT »

I don't think you're going to hear anyone call thus a moral victory. In no way can it be construed as such.  This was a gut wrenching and heartbreaking loss in every way imaginable.
Same here..I meant how everyone keeps saying how" close" UT is..Well close only matters in horseshoes and handgrenades...I am surprised by how well the Defense has played this year but it is quite obvious that the o-line is the weakest link and this team will struggle to be bowl eligible with the remaining schedule..but hey, they are "close" 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 11:18:21 EDT »

Play calling was *#$*&$#!)(@.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 11:59:26 EDT »

I fear that this head coach and staff will end up being like Fulmer and most of his staffs.  They aren't good at on the field coaching.  They can recruit, and as long as they have superior talent they are fine, but with equal or lesser talent they are going to struggle to get it right. 

I hope I am proved wrong, but I don't see anything at this point to indicate otherwise.

And before anybody uses the "we are young" excuse, Florida beat us today with a true freshman QB and a true freshman RB. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 12:11:09 EDT »

I fear that this head coach and staff will end up being like Fulmer and most of his staffs.  They aren't good at on the field coaching.  They can recruit, and as long as they have superior talent they are fine, but with equal or lesser talent they are going to struggle to get it right. 

I hope I am proved wrong, but I don't see anything at this point to indicate otherwise.

And before anybody uses the "we are young" excuse, Florida beat us today with a true freshman QB and a true freshman RB
Disagree.  We have shown good in-game coaching and some good adjustments, especially on defense.  On offense we totally changed our blocking scheme in the 2nd half against OU, effectively. 

The FR QB didn't beat us, our offense did.  He was marginal, at best.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 12:18:25 EDT »

I thought we coached scared, offensively.  Especially in the red zone.

Also agree that "we are young" is not a valid excuse.  We were young when we took it to Oklahoma and Georgia.  Florida was ripe for the plucking today.  Literally the worst offense I've ever seen from a big time opponent.  And we blew it. 
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 12:46:05 EDT »

Disagree.  We have shown good in-game coaching and some good adjustments, especially on defense.  On offense we totally changed our blocking scheme in the 2nd half against OU, effectively. 

The FR QB didn't beat us, our offense did.  He was marginal, at best.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, Pirate.  I don't see adjustments being made until we are behind the 8 ball.  I see a stubborn group of coaches, especially on the offensive side of the football. 

This Florida team was not very good, and the play calling in the red zone was atrocious.  That's part of being prepared, which I don't think we are offensively. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 01:16:19 EDT »

I see nothing wrong at all with firing it in the end zone after the pick.  It's an aggressive move that often works. Unfortunately Justin chose to throw up a lame duck while falling backwards. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 01:18:12 EDT »

Unfortunately Justin chose to throw up a lame duck while falling backwards. 

Yeah.  That was a terrible decision by Justin.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 06:21:50 EDT »

We are trying to win games with a QB that wouldn't start for just a slight few if that many teams in D1 football.....Add that to our other problems on offense equals a 5-7 season coming.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2014, 04:48:23 EDT »

I see nothing wrong at all with firing it in the end zone after the pick.  It's an aggressive move that often works. Unfortunately Justin chose to throw up a lame duck while falling backwards. 

Nor do I. I'm all for going for the jugular in that situation.

That said, when you do that you HAVE to be sure that you give your receiver and your receiver only a chance to catch the football.  If it's not there you throw it in the 5th row and live to snap the ball on the next play.  You have to get points there, and as it turned out three points would have been huge there. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 03:26:44 EDT »

And before anybody uses the "we are young" excuse, Florida beat us today with a true freshman QB and a true freshman RB. 

Offensive coaching I am starting to agree. OL coaching, playcalling, overall offense looks bad. The defensive staff is doing very well IMO

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 04:05:27 EDT »

Nor do I. I'm all for going for the jugular in that situation.

That said, when you do that you HAVE to be sure that you give your receiver and your receiver only a chance to catch the football.  If it's not there you throw it in the 5th row and live to snap the ball on the next play.  You have to get points there, and as it turned out three points would have been huge there. 

Agree. I was actually thinking that a bit of Johnny ball on that drive might have made sense, and yes, a safer pass could have been called.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2014, 04:08:58 EDT »

Where being young matters is the O line.  We have a completely new one, and I expected to struggle, and for that reason if no other I was predicting 5-7.  I knew there were some painful bumps ahead, and this one was very painful. 

Where I might push back on the naysayers a bit is that I still see tremendous improvement from last year.  That we expected to beat Florida is a sign. I didn't think we had a prayer last year.  Looking farther out, I think we have a shot at So Cal Jr and likely Mizzou, and that is also a sign of improvement.  I will judge this year on the entire season...and still be pleasantly surprised if we go better than 5-7.  Next year I expect more though, and if it ain't there by 2016 that's when a change should be made.  No sense whining about it in the meantime.

Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2014, 04:27:26 EDT »

Wasn't impressed with the play calling at all,especially in the red zone..Was like Randy Sanders was back in the booth..Two interceptions by our D set up 1st and 10 in the red zone and they come out throwing the ball on 1st down..The first ends up in a turn over in the end zone...had they ran it 3 times and settled for the fg we win...Am tired of "Moral Victories" 

I think it is unfair to say a FG wins us the game because that was at the start of the 2nd half and you have no idea how the game would have gone going forward from that point.  Also, why run the ball when we couldn't gain any yards on the ground yesterday?  I agree with Herb, you throw it where only your receiver can get it.  That is why I don't understand why we didn't throw several fades in those situations.  We threw 1 and it looked like Pass Interference as our WR couldn't get his other arm up, but we should have tried it more than once.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2014, 06:19:21 EDT »

I think it is unfair to say a FG wins us the game because that was at the start of the 2nd half and you have no idea how the game would have gone going forward from that point.  Also, why run the ball when we couldn't gain any yards on the ground yesterday?  I agree with Herb, you throw it where only your receiver can get it.  That is why I don't understand why we didn't throw several fades in those situations.  We threw 1 and it looked like Pass Interference as our WR couldn't get his other arm up, but we should have tried it more than once.

I agree completely on the fades, but I will point out that Worley has not looked good on those this season IMO.  Might be something he struggles with.  Or something to work on in practice, one would think.

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 04:37:32 EDT »

I agree with the premise "that we are young" is BS. Last years lines were not young. They weren't coached up either.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 05:41:42 EDT »

I agree with the premise "that we are young" is BS. Last years lines were not young. They weren't coached up either.

Yes, and having completely new starters on both lines has no effect whatsoever.   

A lot of Vol fans seem to have conveniently forgotten that.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 11:46:29 EDT »

Maybe they did not want to be "coached up" ...

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 08:37:48 EDT »

Our offensive play was tighter than a Johnny Majors team playing on the 3rd Saturday of October!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: