VTTW Board Index
May 15, 2024, 11:55:53 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Defense 2 deep  (Read 3406 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2014, 03:55:47 EDT »

DEFENSE
Left end: Sophomore Corey Vereen, sophomore LaTroy Lewis (actually Maggitt)
Defensive tackle: Senior Jordan Williams, freshman Dimarya Mixon
Defensive tackle: Sophomore Danny O’Brien, junior Owen Williams
Right end: Freshman Derek Barnett, freshman Dewayne Hendrix
Weakside linebacker: Sophomore Jalen Reeves-Maybin, freshman Dillon Baxter (actually Bynum)
Middle linebacker: Senior A.J. Johnson, freshman Colton Jumper (actually nobody)
Strongside linebacker: Junior Curt Maggitt, junior Chris Weatherd
Cornerback: Sophomore Cameron Sutton, freshman Emmanuel Moseley
Safety: Junior Brian Randolph, freshman Todd Kelly Jr.
Safety: Junior LaDarrell NcNeil, Sophomore Devaun Swafford
Cornerback: Senior Justin Coleman, sophomore Michael Williams (actually Williams and Moseley with Coleman as the 5th most of the time)

After Williams got his bell rung yesterday most of the time in base defense Coleman was the corner but when we went to nickel Coleman moved there and Moseley was the corner (seemed to play well).

Several times yesterday on 3rd and at least 5 we went to a 3 man line with Weatherd as the 3rd LB.  Maggitt played almost exclusively DE yesterday, and played his most extensive time there all year mostly at the expense of Vereen.

TK Jr got two full series in place of Randolph in the 2nd half and was effective.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 12:26:12 EDT »

DEFENSE
Left end: Sophomore Corey Vereen, sophomore LaTroy Lewis (actually Maggitt)
Defensive tackle: Senior Jordan Williams, freshman Dimarya Mixon
Defensive tackle: Sophomore Danny O’Brien, junior Owen Williams
Right end: Freshman Derek Barnett, freshman Dewayne Hendrix
Weakside linebacker: Sophomore Jalen Reeves-Maybin, freshman Dillon Baxter (actually Bynum)
Middle linebacker: Senior A.J. Johnson, freshman Colton Jumper (actually nobody)
Strongside linebacker: Junior Curt Maggitt, junior Chris Weatherd
Cornerback: Sophomore Cameron Sutton, freshman Emmanuel Moseley
Safety: Junior Brian Randolph, freshman Todd Kelly Jr.
Safety: Junior LaDarrell NcNeil, Sophomore Devaun Swafford
Cornerback: Senior Justin Coleman, sophomore Michael Williams (actually Williams and Moseley with Coleman as the 5th most of the time)

After Williams got his bell rung yesterday most of the time in base defense Coleman was the corner but when we went to nickel Coleman moved there and Moseley was the corner (seemed to play well).

Several times yesterday on 3rd and at least 5 we went to a 3 man line with Weatherd as the 3rd LB.  Maggitt played almost exclusively DE yesterday, and played his most extensive time there all year mostly at the expense of Vereen.

TK Jr got two full series in place of Randolph in the 2nd half and was effective.

So Maggitt is only a junior?  And I thought we might lose Reeves-Maybin as well.  Looks like the only loss at LB next year is AJ...

I am thinking we almost have a complete SEC secondary now, at least 1 deep, and even a bit of depth, if the young guys continue to play well.  DL still a work in progress, but plenty of young talent coming in next year.

I was thinking LB might be a bit of a rebuilding project next year, but even though AJ is a huge loss, i feel much better about it now.  We seemingly return everyone except him.   

Our D might be really good next year...perhaps good enough to allow  a new QB to develop.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 12:35:42 EDT »

So Maggitt is only a junior?  And I thought we might lose Reeves-Maybin as well.  Looks like the only loss at LB next year is AJ...

I am thinking we almost have a complete SEC secondary now, at least 1 deep, and even a bit of depth, if the young guys continue to play well.  DL still a work in progress, but plenty of young talent coming in next year.

I was thinking LB might be a bit of a rebuilding project next year, but even though AJ is a huge loss, i feel much better about it now.  We seemingly return everyone except him.   

Our D might be really good next year...perhaps good enough to allow  a new QB to develop.
Curt is a RS Jr (Red shirted last year with the knee), same class as AJ

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 12:39:09 EDT »

If Mac and Tuttle catch on quickly, our D next year could be one of the nation's best.  Are either or both of those guys early enrollees?

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 06:38:13 EDT »

I just noticed Saulsberry is not mentioned...he played quite a bit.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 11:50:22 EDT »

I just noticed Saulsberry is not mentioned...he played quite a bit.
He took up space.  At this point O'Brien is far more effective.  J. Williams was our best DT on the field Sat, by far.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 03:56:26 EDT »

He took up space.  At this point O'Brien is far more effective.  J. Williams was our best DT on the field Sat, by far.

It seemed we stopped the run well when he was in the game, but I was mostly focused on the QBs of both teams.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: