VTTW Board Index
May 09, 2024, 07:10:13 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ok, my season predictions (yes, I am optimistic)  (Read 6044 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: August 13, 2012, 05:33:47 EDT »

I look for a big play offensive team this year, and a defense that will make big plays as well as give up a few.

8/31 – NC state (Atlanta)

Vols haven’t won in Atlanta since 1998. Long drought, but we have to keep in mind that has nothing to do with what they can do this year, vs This team. NC State was good down the stretch last year (6-2). Vols were terrible down the stretch. Different year, different team. Vols strength seems to be the passing game on offense, although Dooley has really worked hard on the running game. NC State features a good secondary, but no one is going to be able to stop UT’s 3 amigos. On defense, Vols cornerbacks are suspect, as is LB depth. Starting front 7 should be pretty stout. NC state will have to throw the ball to win, but right now I predict UT 33  NC state 24

9/8 – Georgia State (Knoxville)

Pretty easy home opener. Vols roll 55 – 7

9/15 – Florida (Knoxville)

For the first time in a while, UT may have the upper hand in this game, as the matchups seem to favor UT. Florida has major questions at QB, WR, and the run game. The OL is good, and Mike Gillislee is a decent back. FL has not recruited well on offense, and it will show. They will struggle to score points, and will rely on their defense. As for the defense, Powell is out. They will have a solid front 7, but the secondary is small. This is not a good matchup for the Gators. I think the Vols strike early and don’t let up.  UT  31  Gators 14

9/22 – Akron (Knoxville)

Akron is not really a bad team. They’re not going to be able to hang with the UT offense though. UT 44  Akron 17

9/29 – Georgia (Athens)

UT usually plays UGA in October, so this is a change. This will be UT’s first real road game, and UGA will come in the east favorite. Georgia’s defense should be very stout this year, but their offense will struggle. The key will be, can Georgia slow down UT’s pass offense and get pressure on Tyler Bray. They do, and they can win this game. I think Tennessee goes in and puts enough on the scoreboard to win. UT 21  UGA 17

10/13 – Miss State (Starkville)

MSU isn’t going to be that good offensively, but they are a physical team defensively. I don’t think the Vols will run the ball effectively, and I see the Vols a little lethargic coming into the game off the bye. I think MSU comes in and plays a good half, with a halftime tie score of 3-3. Vols pull away in second half with a couple of quick strike TDs and win, but they don’t really play well the whole game. UT 17  MSU 10

10/20 – Alabama (Knoxville)

Alabama lost a lot of players, offense and defense. However, they have tons of 5 star guys to take their place. Their strength will be the OL and run game on offense, but I don’t see a very effective passing game. Vols defense will stack the line. On defense, can Alabama slow down the Vol pass game? They will not be a defense we will be able to run effectively on. I see a low scoring game, with Bama winning by a FG.  UT 17  Bama 20

10/27 – South Carolina (Columbia)

S Carolina will be tough to score on, and they will run the ball well. They did lose some WRs to the NFL but have been recruiting well. I think their defense holds the Ut passing game down enough to win this game. UT  20   SC  27

11/3 – Troy (Knoxville)

After a 1-2 October, Vols try to bounce back, and will do it with ease vs Troy. UT 48  Troy 14

11/10 -  Missouri (Knoxville)

Mizzou was not a great road team last year, and their team last year was probably better than this year’s team. They lost the most starters of all SEC teams, but return a talented James Franklin at QB. Their offense is a pretty wide open spread, which no one else in the SEC really runs, so they will be tough to prepare for. I don’t think UT will shut them down, but Mizzou’s problem is that their defense won’t do much vs the Vol attack. I can see a fairly high scoring game, similar to the Cincy game last year. UT 45  Mizzou 31

11/17 – Vanderbilt (Nashville)

Vandy’s offense will be good in 2012. Their defense will not be. They certainly won’t be able to keep up with the Vols. This game will be over by halftime. UT destroys them. UT 49   Vandy 24

11/24 – UK (Knoxville)

I feel sorry for Joker Phillips. UK will be bad, and they could come in with 8 losses into the game. Vols will be mad as hell, and Bray will really want to show out. Dooley will have zero mercy.  UT 51   UK 17

So there you go. Bold prediction of  10-2, with losses to Bama and SC.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 05:36:23 EDT by Volznut » Logged
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 05:41:01 EDT »

I think we lose to UGa, SC, and Bama, with one more loss coming out of UF, MSU, or Mizzou for a final regular season record of 8-4.

I think they are going to be geeked up in ATL and might destroy NCSU, but it might not be indicative of the season to come... much like Cincy last year. Yes, they fell off last year because of injuries, but it was as much the way the players and coaches responded to that adversity as much as it was missing players. I do not have confidence in this team or coaching staff to handle adversity and they will have some in the SEC.

But, we will go to a bowl game and Dooley will keep his job one more year.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 06:03:42 EDT »

Here's what I've got. I use the following methodology. If a game was played 10 times what would the outcome be? Here's what I have.

NC State   6   4
Georgia State 10   0
Florida   6   4
Akron   10   0
Georgia   5   5
MSU   9   1
Bama   2   8
South Carolina 4   6
Troy   10   0
Mizzou   7   3
Vandy    9   1
UK   10   0

That equates to an 88-32 record, or a 73.3% win percentage. Multiply that by 12 games and you get 8.8 wins. So I'm saying nine wins is probable, but eight wins could happen.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 06:44:04 EDT »

Here's what I've got. I use the following methodology. If a game was played 10 times what would the outcome be? Here's what I have.
. . .
That equates to an 88-32 record, or a 73.3% win percentage. Multiply that by 12 games and you get 8.8 wins. So I'm saying nine wins is probable, but eight wins could happen.

That's a good way of getting a prediction, but I will quibble with your numbers a little:

NC State          6 4
Georgia State    10 0
Florida           6 4
Akron            10 0
Georgia           3 7
MSU               6 4
Bama              1 9
South Carolina    3 7

Troy             10 0
Mizzou            7 3
Vandy             9 1
UK               10 0

That gives me a prediction of 8.1 wins. Your prediction and mine may not look all that different in the total number, but the way you laid the games out we have a decent chance in every game but Bammer . . . I see three games kind of like that, and MSU more of a tossup.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 11:17:46 EDT »

I can see where your numbers come from, but let me make a case for the one we seem to view a bit differently: UGA.

The Dawgs should have a very good defense and they have the best QB in the SEC, but they still have Mike Bobo. That equates to a sporadic offense. I like our chances to get 24 points which should make the game a toss-up.

And yes, I have Kool-Aid running down my shirt.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Oldvol75
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 12:29:32 EDT »

I'm really optimistic and will say 12 - 0. Why not?

God “The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the external rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained.” from George Washington’s first Inaugural address.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 01:00:22 EDT »

well, dream big... I like it.   

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 01:00:30 EDT »

That's the way I look at it

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 01:02:55 EDT »

I think we lose to UGa, SC, and Bama, with one more loss coming out of UF, MSU, or Mizzou for a final regular season record of 8-4.

I think they are going to be geeked up in ATL and might destroy NCSU, but it might not be indicative of the season to come... much like Cincy last year. Yes, they fell off last year because of injuries, but it was as much the way the players and coaches responded to that adversity as much as it was missing players. I do not have confidence in this team or coaching staff to handle adversity and they will have some in the SEC.

But, we will go to a bowl game and Dooley will keep his job one more year.
I don't really see a loss to any of the three you mentioned, though both UF and mizzou will not be easy games.  I do think that we win one of the two against uga or SCe with my bet uga being the game we win on the road.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Quasi EVol
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 01:14:04 EDT »

We'll sweep the SEC East!
Bamabiz
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 02:13:17 EDT »

I like the detail, but Bama not having much of a passing game? Just seems like we are more comfortable going into the season with AJ and our passing game than I can remember in a few yrs.

I look for a big play offensive team this year, and a defense that will make big plays as well as give up a few.

8/31 – NC state (Atlanta)

Vols haven’t won in Atlanta since 1998. Long drought, but we have to keep in mind that has nothing to do with what they can do this year, vs This team. NC State was good down the stretch last year (6-2). Vols were terrible down the stretch. Different year, different team. Vols strength seems to be the passing game on offense, although Dooley has really worked hard on the running game. NC State features a good secondary, but no one is going to be able to stop UT’s 3 amigos. On defense, Vols cornerbacks are suspect, as is LB depth. Starting front 7 should be pretty stout. NC state will have to throw the ball to win, but right now I predict UT 33  NC state 24

9/8 – Georgia State (Knoxville)

Pretty easy home opener. Vols roll 55 – 7

9/15 – Florida (Knoxville)

For the first time in a while, UT may have the upper hand in this game, as the matchups seem to favor UT. Florida has major questions at QB, WR, and the run game. The OL is good, and Mike Gillislee is a decent back. FL has not recruited well on offense, and it will show. They will struggle to score points, and will rely on their defense. As for the defense, Powell is out. They will have a solid front 7, but the secondary is small. This is not a good matchup for the Gators. I think the Vols strike early and don’t let up.  UT  31  Gators 14

9/22 – Akron (Knoxville)

Akron is not really a bad team. They’re not going to be able to hang with the UT offense though. UT 44  Akron 17

9/29 – Georgia (Athens)

UT usually plays UGA in October, so this is a change. This will be UT’s first real road game, and UGA will come in the east favorite. Georgia’s defense should be very stout this year, but their offense will struggle. The key will be, can Georgia slow down UT’s pass offense and get pressure on Tyler Bray. They do, and they can win this game. I think Tennessee goes in and puts enough on the scoreboard to win. UT 21  UGA 17

10/13 – Miss State (Starkville)

MSU isn’t going to be that good offensively, but they are a physical team defensively. I don’t think the Vols will run the ball effectively, and I see the Vols a little lethargic coming into the game off the bye. I think MSU comes in and plays a good half, with a halftime tie score of 3-3. Vols pull away in second half with a couple of quick strike TDs and win, but they don’t really play well the whole game. UT 17  MSU 10

10/20 – Alabama (Knoxville)

Alabama lost a lot of players, offense and defense. However, they have tons of 5 star guys to take their place. Their strength will be the OL and run game on offense, but I don’t see a very effective passing game. Vols defense will stack the line. On defense, can Alabama slow down the Vol pass game? They will not be a defense we will be able to run effectively on. I see a low scoring game, with Bama winning by a FG.  UT 17  Bama 20

10/27 – South Carolina (Columbia)

S Carolina will be tough to score on, and they will run the ball well. They did lose some WRs to the NFL but have been recruiting well. I think their defense holds the Ut passing game down enough to win this game. UT  20   SC  27

11/3 – Troy (Knoxville)

After a 1-2 October, Vols try to bounce back, and will do it with ease vs Troy. UT 48  Troy 14

11/10 -  Missouri (Knoxville)

Mizzou was not a great road team last year, and their team last year was probably better than this year’s team. They lost the most starters of all SEC teams, but return a talented James Franklin at QB. Their offense is a pretty wide open spread, which no one else in the SEC really runs, so they will be tough to prepare for. I don’t think UT will shut them down, but Mizzou’s problem is that their defense won’t do much vs the Vol attack. I can see a fairly high scoring game, similar to the Cincy game last year. UT 45  Mizzou 31

11/17 – Vanderbilt (Nashville)

Vandy’s offense will be good in 2012. Their defense will not be. They certainly won’t be able to keep up with the Vols. This game will be over by halftime. UT destroys them. UT 49   Vandy 24

11/24 – UK (Knoxville)

I feel sorry for Joker Phillips. UK will be bad, and they could come in with 8 losses into the game. Vols will be mad as hell, and Bray will really want to show out. Dooley will have zero mercy.  UT 51   UK 17

So there you go. Bold prediction of  10-2, with losses to Bama and SC.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 02:49:53 EDT »

I like the detail, but Bama not having much of a passing game? Just seems like we are more comfortable going into the season with AJ and our passing game than I can remember in a few yrs.

I don't think of Bama as much of a passing team. They can pass, but they prefer to run. I see McCarron as a game manager, not a NFL type guy. Plus, did you guys not lose some key receivers?

Bamabiz
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 02:58:01 EDT »

I think AJ will be the highest drafted QB from Bama in yrs(2-3rd round) He threw for 2600 yards 16td's and only 5 int's as a first time starter.

We lost Maze 56 catches for only 1 td, but most return. We have all the talent in the world at WR, "if" they come together, we will more passing explosive than last yr.

I don't think of Bama as much of a passing team. They can pass, but they prefer to run. I see McCarron as a game manager, not a NFL type guy. Plus, did you guys not lose some key receivers?

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 03:27:57 EDT »

I think AJ will be the highest drafted QB from Bama in yrs(2-3rd round) He threw for 2600 yards 16td's and only 5 int's as a first time starter.

We lost Maze 56 catches for only 1 td, but most return. We have all the talent in the world at WR, "if" they come together, we will more passing explosive than last yr.

You have talent - agreed. Saban's a run first guy though. He has big time talent at RB and a very good OL. I see Bama doing the same types of things as last year.

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 04:57:37 EDT »

I think Tennessee goes 8-4 with losses to Florida,Georgia,Alabama and Missouri. I think Tennessee plays Virginia in the Chick Fil A Peach Bowl

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
RipleyVol12
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 08:06:34 EDT »

If we can get a complimenting running game then we will be scary offensively. If we stay healthy in the QB/WR Corp we shows flashes of being scary good last year. Not saying a NC but enough to shock some people. We aren't that far from beating USCe last year a drop ball away honestly. I don't see why if we are healthy we don't win that one or uga.

GO VOLS! 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: