VTTW Board Index
May 17, 2024, 09:10:57 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: anybody got $1,100 for an apple fanboy can get a pretty watch?  (Read 8833 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: March 10, 2015, 02:54:55 EDT »

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 03:07:22 EDT »

That's on the cheap.  The 18k gold model will set you back anywhere from 10 to 17 grand.

LG is coming out with a new LTE watch that requires no connection to your phone, and actually looks like a watch.

http://www.cnet.com/products/lg-watch-urbane-lte/

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 03:20:10 EDT »

Yeah, that price point is the top of the line for the mid range "Apple Watch"

Pardon me if I'm not in line 4.10.15 ordering one ...

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 03:28:00 EDT »

Yeah, that price point is the top of the line for the mid range "Apple Watch"

Pardon me if I'm not in line 4.10.15 ordering one ...

I'm a watch geek.  I'd be all over it, if it weren't so damn ugly.

I am looking forward to that lg model, however.  I just wish they'd let you switch out that rubber strap for leather or steel.  Plus, it'll probably cost about 100 bucks less than the CHEAPEST Apple watch.

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 03:56:11 EDT »

I'm waiting on the ibrain implant. Finally my electronic devices will operate truly hands free and have the speed I desire. 
Live Orange
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 03:14:51 EDT »

Haters gonna hate.. always makes me chuckle 
Creek Walker
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 04:44:45 EDT »

I'm an Apple fanboy, but I'm hating on those prices myself. They're ridiculous. I would've purchased an Apple Watch, but not at that price.
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 12:37:00 EDT »

I agree with Creek.  I do have $1,000 that I could spend, but I have better things to do with it. It is just that I worked too damn hard and long to throw money away. If less than $200 I could maybe convince myself after a couple or three beers that it is a good buy. Then my wife would make me pay.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 12:58:03 EDT »

Well, I know for a fact that Pirate owns at least two iOS devices.  And my primary computer is a Macbook Pro.  So we're far from haters.  In fact, I would call myself an OSX fanboy.  I hate that you have to pay a premium for lesser hardware to get it, but I do so anyway.  It's that good.

But this watch?  Sorry, but it's a joke- especially at these prices.  I'm sure the fanboys will snatch it right up and make it a success, but I won't be getting one. 

Like I said, I'm a watch guy.  And when I heard that Apple was coming out with a watch, I was excited.  But when they unveiled that ugly square thing, it was DOA to me.  If I'm going to drop more than a couple hundred bucks on a timepiece, I'm going to expect more than functionality, I'm going to expect some style.  IMO, a fine watch is the one piece of jewelry (other than a wedding ring) that it's acceptable for a grown man to wear.  There's a reason that James Bond wears Rolex and Omega, when a Casio G-Shock would probably better suit his needs.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 03:27:05 EDT »

Well, I know for a fact that Pirate owns at least two iOS devices.  And my primary computer is a Macbook Pro.  So we're far from haters.  In fact, I would call myself an OSX fanboy.  I hate that you have to pay a premium for lesser hardware to get it, but I do so anyway.  It's that good.

But this watch?  Sorry, but it's a joke- especially at these prices.  I'm sure the fanboys will snatch it right up and make it a success, but I won't be getting one. 

Like I said, I'm a watch guy.  And when I heard that Apple was coming out with a watch, I was excited.  But when they unveiled that ugly square thing, it was DOA to me.  If I'm going to drop more than a couple hundred bucks on a timepiece, I'm going to expect more than functionality, I'm going to expect some style.  IMO, a fine watch is the one piece of jewelry (other than a wedding ring) that it's acceptable for a grown man to wear.  There's a reason that James Bond wears Rolex and Omega, when a Casio G-Shock would probably better suit his needs.
4 iOS devices in total.
Watch is too expensive for really minimal functionality.  Plus, I'm hell on watches, thus cheap(ish) Casios.
Maybe I'll change my mind when Apple Watch 2 comes out ...

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 03:45:55 EDT »

4 iOS devices in total.
Watch is too expensive for really minimal functionality.  Plus, I'm hell on watches, thus cheap(ish) Casios.
Maybe I'll change my mind when Apple Watch 2 comes out ...

I have about a dozen watches, the nicest of which is a Bulova Marine Star that I got on sale at Costco.  I wish I could afford to collect some real high-end watches.  Maybe when I win the lottery. 

I also have a Casio Pathfinder that I've been beating the hell out of for about 12 years.  It's waterproof, shockproof, solar powered, sets itself by syncing to the National Atomic Clock, and has a compass, thermometer, altimeter, and barometer.  I call it my Zombie Apocalypse watch. 

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 03:08:08 EDT »

I just find this whole idea bizarre. As far as I'm concerned, cell phones effectively ended the need for watches. Now we're trying to sell smart watches that do some (but not all) of the things that the phones we already have in our pockets do?

I absolutely do not see the point. I don't have $20 to spare for such superfluous tech, much less $400-$1500.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Creek Walker
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 03:30:28 EDT »

I just find this whole idea bizarre. As far as I'm concerned, cell phones effectively ended the need for watches. Now we're trying to sell smart watches that do some (but not all) of the things that the phones we already have in our pockets do?

I absolutely do not see the point. I don't have $20 to spare for such superfluous tech, much less $400-$1500.

Oh, I see the niche...even if it can't justify the price. Imagine being in conversation with someone and your phone vibrates in your pocket because you're getting a scheduling reminder or a text. It's much easier, not to mention more polite, to glance at your wrist rather than pulling your phone out of your pocket. I hate driving down the road and having to lift my butt up off the seat while I'm driving so I can get my phone out of my pocket if I get a text or if I want to play some tunes and my car's bluetooth didn't automatically connect.

It's about convenience more than anything. I see smart watches as accessories, just like bluetooth headsets. Just not one I'm willing to spend $500 on.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 03:40:18 EDT »

Oh, I see the niche...even if it can't justify the price. Imagine being in conversation with someone and your phone vibrates in your pocket because you're getting a scheduling reminder or a text. It's much easier, not to mention more polite, to glance at your wrist rather than pulling your phone out of your pocket. I hate driving down the road and having to lift my butt up off the seat while I'm driving so I can get my phone out of my pocket if I get a text or if I want to play some tunes and my car's bluetooth didn't automatically connect.

It's about convenience more than anything. I see smart watches as accessories, just like bluetooth headsets. Just not one I'm willing to spend $500 on.

Well like I said, I'm not sure it it worth $20 for me to buy tech that just saves me from reaching in my pocket, but maybe I'm in the minority. Apple did some ingenious things to simplify our lives-- make digital music smaller and more portable, make phones that keep us in touch with things we previously had to be at a computer for, make computers (tablets) that were smaller and more portable than any laptop in existence  . . . progress towards fewer, more powerful devices, each of them.

But this watch . . . it's superfluous. It doesn't replace anything, doesn't make anything smaller or more portable, doesn't add functionality. Apple's going the wrong direction with this, IMO, unless the watch starts to REPLACE the phone.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 06:04:48 EDT »

The world of Dick Tracy and the wrist radio is here. As soon as the wrist video watch is here, I may buy it. But I have to warn everyone that my image has made grown women, small children, and small dogs cry and run the other way in fear.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2015, 07:30:13 EDT »

Well like I said, I'm not sure it it worth $20 for me to buy tech that just saves me from reaching in my pocket, but maybe I'm in the minority. Apple did some ingenious things to simplify our lives-- make digital music smaller and more portable, make phones that keep us in touch with things we previously had to be at a computer for, make computers (tablets) that were smaller and more portable than any laptop in existence  . . . progress towards fewer, more powerful devices, each of them.

But this watch . . . it's superfluous. It doesn't replace anything, doesn't make anything smaller or more portable, doesn't add functionality. Apple's going the wrong direction with this, IMO, unless the watch starts to REPLACE the phone.

I think that's the endgame here- replacing your phone.  But a watch will have to include wifi and LTE radios to do that, and as far as I know, the LG model I linked above will be the first to do that.  It won't be for everyone.  Obviously, you won't be able to watch movies and play games like you can do on a smartphone, but we have tablets for that.  If all you want out of your watch/phone is to make calls, send texts, get directions, receive news/sports/weather updates, and maybe do some rudimentary web browsing or facebooking, the smart watch may eventually be for you.

I've been griping for some time now that phones are getting too big.  I just don't like carrying a 5.5" brick around in my pocket.  Maybe this is how they'll ultimately shrink them back down.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 07:32:47 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2015, 11:37:14 EDT »

Just wait until the worlds wi-fi waves are full. it is already starting to get too crowded. In the near future Hyper wi-fi is going to be the technology. A few companies are starting it now. Wi-fi as we know it will be obsolete because there is only a certain amount of bandwidth available.

volsboyinsodak
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2015, 12:46:02 EDT »

One day the sun is going to belch a massive solar EMP that's going to bring this world to its knees.  And no I don't believe that's too farfetched a prediction.

I expect that people will actually have to start talking to one another face to face. Although I wonder if this latest generation would even know how.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2015, 04:13:55 EDT »

<a href="https://m.youtube.com/v/oL1xf_X0W2s" target="_blank">https://m.youtube.com/v/oL1xf_X0W2s</a>

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2015, 11:35:17 EDT »

It's called "Apple sucks without Jobs at the helm".

This is apparently their "next big thing" and to this observer, it obviously lacks his deft marketing touch and feel for what consumers really want.

IMO 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2015, 11:36:23 EDT »

I'm waiting on the ibrain implant. Finally my electronic devices will operate truly hands free and have the speed I desire. 

Like what....a 286 with 1 Meg of RAM?    

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: