VTTW Board Index
May 19, 2024, 01:15:10 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lady Vols 77...Pittsburgh 67...FINAL*  (Read 4247 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2015, 03:50:30 EDT »

`
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 04:23:15 EDT »

Outside of hitting the FTs down the stretch I thought the LVs were in trouble the last 3-4 minutes.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 06:41:44 EDT »

I just don't see them going to much farther. Sucks. Do we need a coaching change? Someone who can recruit? I think so. Holly isn't getting it done. I could coach them to the same record they have this year.

volsboyinsodak
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 07:47:29 EDT »

I just don't see them going to much farther. Sucks. Do we need a coaching change? Someone who can recruit? I think so. Holly isn't getting it done. I could coach them to the same record they have this year.

This sentiment is just a wee bit premature IMO.

About 1 out of every 6 years, Pat failed to advance past the Sweet 16, and about 1 out of every 3 years she failed to get to the Final four. Three years in, Holly has a Sweet 16, an Elite 8, and at least another Sweet 16. Holly doesn't have a final four yet but this is just year 3, and the competition is as tough as it has ever been.

Career win% for Pat was 84%. Holly is at 83%. SEC win % was 87% for Pat and is 87% for Holly. The early returns don't suggest that much dropoff, and it's definitely too soon to suggest that Holly can't get it done. She's still finding herself as a head coach but has still won at least two tourney games every year so far.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 07:49:39 EDT »

This sentiment is just a wee bit premature IMO.

About 1 out of every 6 years, Pat failed to advance past the Sweet 16, and about 1 out of every 3 years she failed to get to the Final four. Three years in, Holly has a Sweet 16, an Elite 8, and at least another Sweet 16. Holly doesn't have a final four yet but this is just year 3, and the competition is as tough as it has ever been.

Career win% for Pat was 84%. Holly is at 83%. SEC win % was 87% for Pat and is 87% for Holly. The early returns don't suggest that much dropoff, and it's definitely too soon to suggest that Holly can't get it done. She's still finding herself as a head coach but has still won at least two tourney games every year so far.

As much as logic says you're correct, I can't shake the feeling that Holly just doesn't have "it" as a coach. Her teams seem to lack the killer instinct that made Pat's teams great.

With that said, this team would have a tough time getting past the Sweet 16 with Harrison out, no matter who was coaching.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 07:56:16 EDT »

As much as logic says you're correct, I can't shake the feeling that Holly just doesn't have "it" as a coach. Her teams seem to lack the killer instinct that made Pat's teams great.

With that said, this team would have a tough time getting past the Sweet 16 with Harrison out, no matter who was coaching.

Yeah, maybe they don't pass the eye test quite like Pat's teams did. The question is what it takes for Warlick to be considered successful. Can you fire a coach that makes the sweet 16 every year, and an elite 8 or final four half the time? If she doesn't win titles, I could see that happening . . . but it's hard to imagine.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

RockyMtnVol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 08:18:30 EDT »

I thought this team was jelling pretty nicely until Izzy went down.  Hard to blame the coach for that.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 09:19:35 EDT »

I'm sorry but UT has not had the talent to beat the top teams in the country for quite a while. There is a difference in making it to the sweet 16 and final 8 but still know you are not going to beat the Connecticuts, Baylors and even Gamecocks. Until she starts recruiting better it ain't gonna happen. Geno has no trouble still getting recruits. Why is it hard to convince a girl to play for UT. I wanna know.

volsboyinsodak
GeneVols
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 10:33:20 EDT »

I think Holly's downfall will be recruiting, especially In state recruiting. In the 2016 class she is losing the top two in state players to UCONN and Vandy!! Both of those players are top 10 in the country. and they have no top 60 verbal commits.
2015 class is only ranked 14th in the country and no top 10 players in the country were signed, and they signed 1 instate player Meme Jackson from Blackman (35th national)
2014 class had 1 player top 10 in the country, and they signed 1 instate player Alexa Middleton from Riverdale (28th national)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 10:54:15 EDT »

This started even before Pat left. Why are these top players not coming to UT anymore? Enquiring minds would like to know.

volsboyinsodak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: