VTTW Board Index
May 07, 2024, 09:18:31 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If you wanted to take the ultimate sports vacation...  (Read 3589 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2012, 05:23:36 EDT »

...you could do a lot worse than heading to the UK this month.  Wimbledon, the British Open, and the Olympics.  The Brits are really in the spotlight right now.

101stDad
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 05:30:45 EDT »

Yeah, but they still have bad teeth and their food is awful.   

I would love to see an Open Championship.  That is definitely on my bucket list. 
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 05:35:10 EDT »

Yeah, but they still have bad teeth and their food is awful.   

I would love to see an Open Championship.  That is definitely on my bucket list. 

All three of those are on my list.  Wimbledon is such a unique, intimate venue (or looks that way on TV, anyway).  I'd love to see a big match there with Federer, Nadal, and/or Djokovich. 

101stDad
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 05:42:27 EDT »

I wouldn't mind seeing a Wimbledon match just for the sake of seeing the venue, but I really don't have much interest in tennis these days.  Don't get me wrong, I am not anti-tennis, but just not a big fan of today's players. 

I had the opportunity to see a half dozen Olympic events in Atlanta.  That one is scratched off my bucket list, and I really have no desire to go to another one.  The Olympic Games have become way too politically correct for me.  I doubt I will watch much of it on TV. 
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 05:56:40 EDT »

For a second there, I thought this post was going to be about sports . . .
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 08:57:46 EDT »

I wouldn't mind seeing a Wimbledon match just for the sake of seeing the venue, but I really don't have much interest in tennis these days.  Don't get me wrong, I am not anti-tennis, but just not a big fan of today's players.  

I had the opportunity to see a half dozen Olympic events in Atlanta.  That one is scratched off my bucket list, and I really have no desire to go to another one.  The Olympic Games have become way too politically correct for me.  I doubt I will watch much of it on TV.  

I think mens' tennis is the best it's ever been.  Federer and Nadal are among the top 5 of all time, Djokovich is not far behind, and they're all in their prime.  It's rare that you get to see that kind of talent at one time, in ANY sport.  Those guys may not be as entertaining between points as McEnroe, Connors, or Agassi, but they're much, much better tennis players.  

I always regretted that I was in the AF in 96 and couldn't get back here to see the Atlanta Olympics.  I'll get to one someday, although I think I'd prefer the Winter Games to the Summer.

The only major golf tourney I've been to was the PGA Championship at Riviera in 95, when Steve Elkington won it.  But I don't consider the PGA as even being in the same ballpark as the other three.  If I ever get the chance to see another major (or the Ryder Cup), I won't pass it up.  
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 08:59:23 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

101stDad
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 09:34:03 EDT »

I've been to about 10 different PGA tourneys at least once, and to The Masters several times, The US Open (at both Hazeltine and Winged Foot) and the PGA Championship (Atlanta Athletic Club).  Some of the regular tour events are much more prestigious than others, and you can tell by the field and by the venue and the way it is run.  Of the non-majors, the best PGA events I have been to are The Players (both at Sawgrass Country Club and the TPC Sawgrass), Bay Hill (Arnold's tourney), and The Memorial (Jack's tourney in Columbus).  Those are special.

I don't doubt that the quality of tennis is better now than it was 20 years back, and like I said I don't dislike tennis.  I just don't have the same interest in today's players as I did in the guys you mentioned.  They were not only tennis players, but they were entertainers, too.  I'm sure there is personality in today's players, but I haven't seen it like I did with those guys. 

Each to his own. 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 09:36:26 EDT »

...you could do a lot worse than heading to the UK this month.  Wimbledon, the British Open, and the Olympics.  The Brits are really in the spotlight right now.

Agreed, would be a dream vacation.  Even without the sports, for me... I'm fascinated with British culture.  And there's a ton of it.
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 07:28:12 EDT »

I've been to about 10 different PGA tourneys at least once, and to The Masters several times, The US Open (at both Hazeltine and Winged Foot) and the PGA Championship (Atlanta Athletic Club).  Some of the regular tour events are much more prestigious than others, and you can tell by the field and by the venue and the way it is run.  Of the non-majors, the best PGA events I have been to are The Players (both at Sawgrass Country Club and the TPC Sawgrass), Bay Hill (Arnold's tourney), and The Memorial (Jack's tourney in Columbus).  Those are special.

I don't doubt that the quality of tennis is better now than it was 20 years back, and like I said I don't dislike tennis.  I just don't have the same interest in today's players as I did in the guys you mentioned.  They were not only tennis players, but they were entertainers, too.  I'm sure there is personality in today's players, but I haven't seen it like I did with those guys. 

Each to his own. 

When I lived in Augusta many years back it was cool cause I went all the time...plus I ended up working there for a couple of years during the tournament.  Loved Augusta National back then and one year had CBS Sports passes to get into the tournament and that was extra cool. 
Been to the Hartford tournament and it was a blast....been to several others and watched several of the Knoxville Open (or whatever it is called this year) and love going and seeing the up and comers.....

My favorite sporting event i think I have ever seen still would have to be the Hilton Head TOurnament....the lighthouse the course is wicked and narrow....and it is right after the Masters so some of the players will be worn out from the Masters but it was always cool to see tha tone in person.....

WIsh I could have gone to Hope's tournament though....

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

Quasi EVol
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 03:54:06 EDT »

For a second there, I thought this post was going to be about sports . . .

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: