VTTW Board Index
May 07, 2024, 09:24:44 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OK, so I'm on Oahu last week.....  (Read 2678 times)
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2012, 09:25:05 EDT »

and the wife, son and I are driving around the island.  We stop at a beach park and there is a police cruiser parked in the parking lot.  As I get out, I see that the crusier has a UT license plate bracket.  I walk over and the officer asks what he can do for me.  "That license plate bracket is awesome", I tell him.  He immediately says "Go Vols!".  He asks where I'm from and when I tell him, he tells me that his son played football at Tennessee.  "J.T. Mapu?", I ask.  "Yes sir", he says.  It was Simi Mapu.  

Amazing coincidence.  Several days later, my son and I played golf at Turtle Bay.  After the golf, we drove to Kahuku and ate at a shrimp shack (Tita's).  Seems the place was owned by Mapu's uncle and is located directly across the road from his old high school.  Food was great.  We had a great dinner talking to locals about J.T., his dad (who played at BYU), and his uncle (who I am told played quite a few years in the CFL).
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 09:42:27 EDT by JeffCountyVolFan » Logged
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 10:20:31 EDT »

was the same after the time away.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 03:14:29 EDT »

small world... cool story!

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 03:30:48 EDT »

was the same after the time away.

I would rather have a player representing the university who puts God before football than an All-SEC player.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 03:05:22 EDT »

J.T. was a cool and friendly dude.   He was pretty quiet and reserved but cool to talk to.  I was in a class of only a dozen people with him so we chatted quite a bit. 
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 10:17:55 EDT »

J.T. was a cool and friendly dude.   He was pretty quiet and reserved but cool to talk to.  I was in a class of only a dozen people with him so we chatted quite a bit. 

Simi was a really nice guy.  He offered to help get us discounts to the local attractions and offered advise on what we should see while on the island.  We spent about 15 minutes talking about J.T. and his time at UT.

His uncle was also was very hospitable.  As we walked up to his shrimp eatery, he was standing outside (you eat outdoors under a carport type covering).  He was giving away huge pieces of chocolate melting cake - which was delicious.  As the three of us walked up, he offered each of us a slice of cake and a warm smile.  Later, as we were eating our shrimp orders, he came back out carrying about 4 huge loaves of Hawaiian sweet bread.  He cut slices about 3" thick and treated everyone who was there eating to the wonderful bread, which he had buttered hiimself.  He was a delightful individual and it was a delightful meal, and maybe the best food we had on the island - which is saying something because we had some really good food while we were there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: