VTTW Board Index
May 07, 2024, 11:42:17 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kobe Bryant thinks this year's Olympic team would beat the original Dream Team  (Read 7814 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2012, 02:42:59 EDT »

...I think Kobe's smoking crack.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/basketball/story/_/id/8158008/charles-barkley-says-1992-dream-team-beat-2012-olympic-team-double-digits

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 03:21:54 EDT »

Kobe is an idiot. That 1992 Dream Team is the best team to suit up anywhere, any time, ever. The only improvement they could have made is putting almost anyone on that team instead of Christian Laettner.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 03:44:01 EDT »

Kobe is an idiot. That 1992 Dream Team is the best team to suit up anywhere, any time, ever. The only improvement they could have made is putting almost anyone on that team instead of Christian Laettner.

I never understood that.  If they wanted the token college player, they should've taken Shaq.  I thought Chris Mullin was a bit of a reach too, but he was the best 3 point shooter in the league at the time so he certainly filled that role.

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 04:37:59 EDT »

Questioning player selection of the '92 Dream Team? Man, y'all would criticize some of the ingredients of grandma's homemade pecan pie, wouldn't you? 
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 04:52:12 EDT »

Questioning player selection of the '92 Dream Team? Man, y'all would criticize some of the ingredients of grandma's homemade pecan pie, wouldn't you? 

Seriously though- Christian Laettner?  One of these things is not like the others...

Ridge Runner
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 11:35:16 EDT »

I never understood that.  If they wanted the token college player, they should've taken Shaq.  I thought Chris Mullin was a bit of a reach too, but he was the best 3 point shooter in the league at the time so he certainly filled that role.

Laettner won two NCAA titles and was a great college player. O'Neal, while a great player, played on LSU teams that woefully underperformed in the tourney.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 12:41:48 EDT »

Laettner won two NCAA titles and was a great college player. O'Neal, while a great player, played on LSU teams that woefully underperformed in the tourney.

That's great, but everyone knew even then that Shaq's game would translate better at the next level.  And besides, did they really NEED a "winner"?  They already had Jordan and Magic and Bird. 

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 01:19:22 EDT »

That's great, but everyone knew even then that Shaq's game would translate better at the next level.  And besides, did they really NEED a "winner"?  They already had Jordan and Magic and Bird. 

By the same logic, they didn't need another Shaq for talent either.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 02:10:05 EDT »

Kobe also thought he could fool around and not get caught.
Ridge Runner
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 02:39:42 EDT »

I had always kind of saw Laettner's being picked as a "reward" pick.  And, as others have pointed out, it's not like they desperately needed O'Neill.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 02:43:39 EDT »

I had always kind of saw Laettner's being picked as a "reward" pick.  And, as others have pointed out, it's not like they desperately needed O'Neill.

Well, I always thought it strange that they felt the need to include a college player anyway, especially given their stated goal to assemble the best team ever top to bottom.  The Hawks homer in me thinks that spot should've gone to 'Nique.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 05:11:05 EDT »

Speaking of Kobe, so yeah, I guess since he deigned to show up this year, all of a sudden he has to talk smack about it.   In the past he has had better things to do.  But I get it.  Now that HE'S back in the Olympics, it's the greatest of all time.   

Meh.  I have never liked that guy.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Quasi EVol
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 06:15:30 EDT »

He should wait until AFTER the U.S. team wins the upcoming gold medal before talking about who would beat whom.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 01:01:44 EDT »

He should wait until AFTER the U.S. team wins the upcoming gold medal before talking about who would beat whom.

This. Spain is a threat to this team.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Ridge Runner
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 03:24:20 EDT »

This. Spain is a threat to this team.

Wouldn't that be a kick in the teeth if the US lost. But I don't know if there's much chance of that. I've been hearing most of the experts say that most of the international teams aren't quite as strong as they've been in the past. When the US lost in 2004, my opinion was that they lost because foreign teams played fundamental basketball, and the US couldn't match them in the half-court game. In '08 Coach K did a great job of utilizing the USA's greater athleticism by pressing and running more, getting a lot of easy baskets in transition. I'm pretty sure that will happen again this year.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 06:57:20 EDT »

Wouldn't that be a kick in the teeth if the US lost. But I don't know if there's much chance of that. I've been hearing most of the experts say that most of the international teams aren't quite as strong as they've been in the past. When the US lost in 2004, my opinion was that they lost because foreign teams played fundamental basketball, and the US couldn't match them in the half-court game. In '08 Coach K did a great job of utilizing the USA's greater athleticism by pressing and running more, getting a lot of easy baskets in transition. I'm pretty sure that will happen again this year.

I think they will win, but Spain is the team to watch because the US doesn't have a lot of front court size and Spain has both Gasols plus the guy from OKC who is a great shot blocker. Plus they are even with the US at point guard with Rubio. The US should win but don't sleep on Spain... that's all I'm saying.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 07:46:37 EDT »

I love arguments like these. No way to know because they can't play each other
Ridge Runner
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 08:37:17 EDT »

I think they will win, but Spain is the team to watch because the US doesn't have a lot of front court size and Spain has both Gasols plus the guy from OKC who is a great shot blocker. Plus they are even with the US at point guard with Rubio. The US should win but don't sleep on Spain... that's all I'm saying.

I don't think Rubio is going to play.

http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_8B4pGl1WJM6KjanOYvB,A1.articleMode_on.html
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2012, 08:59:44 EDT »

For some reason I thought he got hurt earlier in the season and would be returning, so my bad for not knowing that.

I STILL say Spain will threaten them. The US is bringing virtually nothing to London in the post and Spain has three NBA players there.

Ridge Runner
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2012, 09:40:35 EDT »

For some reason I thought he got hurt earlier in the season and would be returning, so my bad for not knowing that.

I STILL say Spain will threaten them. The US is bringing virtually nothing to London in the post and Spain has three NBA players there.

In '04, when the US limped to the bronze, it was pretty obvious that a lot of the foreign players where more skilled in basic fundamental basketball then the US. They shot better, had better teamwork and chemistry (we had guys like Iverson, Stephon Marbury, Carmelo Anthony, etc., that were never really known for being anything other than point-scoring machines). in '08 Coach K seemed to have the good sense to realize this and sucessfully out-athleted everybody else. So, yes I think the US could be beaten but I think again it will come down to altheticism vs. fundamentals. And with Rubio out, it will make it harder for Spain to withstand the US defensive pressure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: