VTTW Board Index
May 07, 2024, 06:42:40 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I am finally going to say it about NC State  (Read 6377 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2012, 05:18:42 EDT »

It is a huge game.  Many of you have cited this in the past, but looking at the schedule, this game is key.  We need to have momentum going into Florida, otherwise we could start the season 2-2 and be looking at another very long year.

But it's intriguing in a way, because on paper it's a close match.  The teams have a lot of similarities.  So-so defenses, strong passing attacks, lousy running games.

We do have a big edge at WR , somewhat of an edge at OL, and possibly QB (depends what version of Bray shows up).

Neither team has a much of a running game, but ours stinks a bit worse.

They have a very good secondary (including a first team AA) and that might slow us down.

I read that they have 57 SNAPS coming back at LB.  There four top guys are gone (two to the NFL).  So that leaves only 57 PLAYS remaining for the starters.

THey also lost a couple good DL, though they appear to be okay there.

So right out of the gate, we have a team that matches strength (pass D) to our strength. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 05:24:53 EDT »

Rambling discussion above, but here are a few interesting questions/keys.

1.  Given their obvious weakness at LB (and a couple key losses on the DL), AND our very veteran OL, can we finally get a run game going against a (somewhat) quality opponent?  Let me rephrase that.  If we can't run on NC State, it's going to be a long season.

2.  Given our obvious strength at WR (and hopefully QB) can we throw against what is considered one of the better defensive backfields in the country?

3.  If we do have trouble passing, can our coaching staff adjust and can the team respond with enough of a running game to keep them honest and help the passing attack?

Just some things I thought about while reading Phil Steele on the plane coming back from a business trip today. 

But yeah, all you have to do is look at the way the schedule runs, and realize we can't afford to start 0-1.  We just can't.  There is little or no room for error.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 05:29:46 EDT »

If Derek Dooley is going to be at Tennessee in 2013, UT absolutely MUST win that game.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 05:39:40 EDT »

If Derek Dooley is going to be at Tennessee in 2013, UT absolutely MUST win that game.

Yes.  And to again echo what has been said below, if he does lose, the UF is that much bigger of a must-win.

But the odds of beating UF probably drop if we lost to NC State.

The good thing about is that on paper, it's very winnable but they are still good enough to be a real challenge.

It might be good for us to start the season against them rather than some patsy, and yet still not play a really good team.  Just the right amount of challenge to prepare us for Florida and the rest of the season. 

Maybe. 

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 07:08:48 EDT »

Vols by 17

10EC
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 07:14:19 EDT »

Vols by 17

I am in your camp. 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 12:18:28 EDT »

Now that I think about it, everyone I speak to personally about UT football shares the feeling that we will destroy them.  I think the majority of fans are really optimistic about our offense.  Phil Steele was REALLY high our O.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 02:08:41 EDT »

Now that I think about it, everyone I speak to personally about UT football shares the feeling that we will destroy them.  I think the majority of fans are really optimistic about our offense.  Phil Steele was REALLY high our O.

The pieces are all there, really, on both sides of the ball. There are spots that are unproven-- RB and DL-- but everywhere else looks like a step up this year. I just hope we don't get burned again.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Ridge Runner
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 03:32:33 EDT »

If we can run the ball better this year, even if it's just an improvement from last year's disaster to merely mediocre, this offense has the potential to be lethal.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 03:47:16 EDT »

The offense could be lethal without a running game. With a running game it could be deadly. That is barring the injury bug. I think it is a little much to expect Hunter back at 100%. If he comes back close to normal he will beat the averages. The good news is with Patterson in we may not need him at 100% especially to start the year. He will be better toward the end than he is to start, I suspect. We just need the o-line to play with a mean streak again.

Defensively for the 1st in a while we have decent numbers everywhere except lb. Can't afford any injuries there. For t hat reason that will likely be the weakest group again this year. We are counting on two sophomores to be good and truthfully that may not happen. We counted on sophomores a lot last year and we see how that turned out. I think we will be better on defense but not championship defense.

I have said it before and I will again I think we will look a lot like Arky has the past couple years, prolific offense suspect defense, 8-4 to 9-3 record. Competitive with the big boys but not enough to get over the hump all the way.
RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 03:52:49 EDT »

I just can't see much through my ORANGE colored glasses but.......I don't think the game will be close at all!  Think this will stir up the Big Orange fan base and bandwagon base again!  This will be the upset year!!!  some teams will be overlooking the VOLS and the Big O will leave them in awe!  Again...these glasses are ORANGE!!!
Ridge Runner
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 04:17:29 EDT »

The offense could be lethal without a running game. With a running game it could be deadly. That is barring the injury bug. I think it is a little much to expect Hunter back at 100%. If he comes back close to normal he will beat the averages. The good news is with Patterson in we may not need him at 100% especially to start the year. He will be better toward the end than he is to start, I suspect. We just need the o-line to play with a mean streak again.

Defensively for the 1st in a while we have decent numbers everywhere except lb. Can't afford any injuries there. For t hat reason that will likely be the weakest group again this year. We are counting on two sophomores to be good and truthfully that may not happen. We counted on sophomores a lot last year and we see how that turned out. I think we will be better on defense but not championship defense.

I have said it before and I will again I think we will look a lot like Arky has the past couple years, prolific offense suspect defense, 8-4 to 9-3 record. Competitive with the big boys but not enough to get over the hump all the way.

Without a running game, sure the offense could still put up pretty numbers and score points, but will bog down all too frequently because you're faced with too many 2nd and 8s, or can't get a third and one. At some point, if you expect to be able to compete with Alabama, USC and UGA, you've got to be able to line up and punch 'em in the mouth from time to time.
Hollerboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 04:25:09 EDT »

Vols will Kill them and Stomp Their Eggs!!!***

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 07:43:03 EDT »

Vols will Kill them and Stomp Their Eggs!!!***

Well then, it's official.   

VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 09:55:49 EDT »

would look at utilizing the TEs and RBs in the passing game early to establish some positive movement and expand from there, mix in some quick hitting runs and then maybe catch those DBs creeping up and torch 'em.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 10:47:57 EDT »

I suspect it will difficult to get dbs to creep up on us this year. I'm betting we don't see many safeties in the box this year. If we can't run this year against 6 or 7 man fronts then we will have to look at getting a new OC.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2012, 05:11:44 EDT »

would look at utilizing the TEs and RBs in the passing game early to establish some positive movement and expand from there, mix in some quick hitting runs and then maybe catch those DBs creeping up and torch 'em.

Yeah maybe we can get Rivera or one of the RBs isolated on a linebacker.  Shouldn't be hard to do.

For that matter, if we can catch them with a 5-WR set before they can put in the nickel, that could be really nice.

Maybe a hurry-up in a 5-WR set where they only have 4 DBs in? 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: