VTTW Board Index
May 07, 2024, 07:38:56 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AC3 launch trailer (best one yet, IMO)  (Read 10536 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2012, 03:03:56 EDT »

3 hours and counting.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/z_o49YwWZUY&amp;utm_source=crm_ncsa&amp;utm_medium=email&amp;utm_content=launchtrailer&amp;utm_campaign=f-ass3-cm-usa-20121029" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/z_o49YwWZUY&amp;utm_source=crm_ncsa&amp;utm_medium=email&amp;utm_content=launchtrailer&amp;utm_campaign=f-ass3-cm-usa-20121029</a>

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 01:43:54 EDT »

Give us a review when you can.  I'm anxious to know how it stacks up against AC2.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 01:50:49 EDT »

Give us a review when you can.  I'm anxious to know how it stacks up against AC2.

I played through Sequence 1 last night.  Haven't even seen Conor yet.  At the start of the game, you're playing as the guy I presume to be his father.  I'll really get into it after breakfast this morning.

One thing I would suggest- If you didn't play through that little mini-game with Desmond in AC-R, go back and do so.  There are a couple MAJOR revelations in the intro sequence to AC3 that I didn't even know about.  I can only assume they were revealed in that mini-game.  Unfortunately, I traded AC-R in long ago, so I can't go back and play it.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 07:07:13 EDT »

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/30/assassins-creed-iii-review

Here's the IGN review (8.5).  So far (through Sequence 4), I would have to agree with their gripes- the pacing has been slow, the world has yet to open up for exploration, and the constraints within some of the missions can get very frustrating.  I'm probably about 5 hours in, and I've still only seen a sliver of Boston, and a small piece of the frontier.  The Revolution hasn't even begun yet. 

That being said, I can tell that the potential is there for it to get really good.  This looks to be the best story of the series so far.  There's one really surprising twist early on that you won't see coming, and will probably have implications for the rest of the game. 

Anyway, I just finished my lunch, and I'm about to dive back in.   

Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 07:30:19 EDT »

I picked up a copy today, against my better judgment. I hate spending money on video games and there are several coming out soon that I'll want to buy (always get the new COD each year and if GTA 5 ever hits the shelves that'll be a must-have, too), plus I have yet to finish any game in the AC franchise. But the Revolutionary War setting just appealed to me.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 07:40:31 EDT »

I picked up a copy today, against my better judgment. I hate spending money on video games and there are several coming out soon that I'll want to buy (always get the new COD each year and if GTA 5 ever hits the shelves that'll be a must-have, too), plus I have yet to finish any game in the AC franchise. But the Revolutionary War setting just appealed to me.

It's really appealing to me as well.  I thought the Renaissance was cool and all but this one has so much potential for storylines and whatnot.

I'm still going to hold off until Christmas for AC3, because I feel like a kid again having a brand new game to play during my Christmas break.  That, and my wife says she never knows what to get me so games are easy gift ideas.   

That's really the only game I've got on tap for this year.  Company of Heroes 2 is one I'm stoked about.  I'll be getting that one for the PC, though.  I'm a huge fan of that franchise.. so much so I'll probably do the midnight release for it.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 08:59:17 EDT »

GTA 5 hasn't set a specific date yet, but it is confirmed for a Spring 2013 release.  Which means that GTA, Bioshock, Tomb Raider, Gears 4, and South Park will probably all be coming out within a few weeks of each other.  I'd better start saving now.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 01:28:39 EDT »

Initial impressions: The Naval missions are awesome.  IMO, the best addition to the game since the assassin recruits.  The frontier is so much more than I thought it would be.  I was expecting something like the countryside in AC1 and AC2, which basically just served as a wasteland between cities.  But it's varied and alive.  I would even say it's the most fully realized "wild" open world environment ever in a game.  Better than RDR, better than Skyrim. 

As in AC2, you have a homestead out in the wilderness that you can upgrade.  But the upgrade system has been greatly modified.  It's now a bit too complicated, IMO.  Maybe I'll get used to it. 

The fighting controls have also been changed, for the better IMO.  And the free running seems to have been improved greatly.  No longer do I try to run down the street and inadvertantly end up climbing a wall.

The story, after a slow start, seems to be picking up.  But I'm now done playing for the day, and as I work the rest of the week, I probably won't get to play again until the weekend. 

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 01:56:34 EDT »

Initial impressions: The Naval missions are awesome.  IMO, the best addition to the game since the assassin recruits.  The frontier is so much more than I thought it would be.  I was expecting something like the countryside in AC1 and AC2, which basically just served as a wasteland between cities.  But it's varied and alive.  I would even say it's the most fully realized "wild" open world environment ever in a game.  Better than RDR, better than Skyrim. 

As in AC2, you have a homestead out in the wilderness that you can upgrade.  But the upgrade system has been greatly modified.  It's now a bit too complicated, IMO.  Maybe I'll get used to it. 

The fighting controls have also been changed, for the better IMO.  And the free running seems to have been improved greatly.  No longer do I try to run down the street and inadvertantly end up climbing a wall.

The story, after a slow start, seems to be picking up.  But I'm now done playing for the day, and as I work the rest of the week, I probably won't get to play again until the weekend. 

Wow, frontier better than RDR? 

The free running glitches used to drive me nuts.

I look forward to owning this one!   
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 04:22:43 EDT »

Wow, frontier better than RDR? 

Looks-wise, yes.  It should be- it runs on a graphics engine that's 5 years newer.  In no way am I implying (yet) that it's a better game overall than RDR.  That's pretty rarified air, right there.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 04:28:27 EDT »

Graphically it's stunning. The audio is stunning. The controls are very smooth. The story so far is slow. They are easing in.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 04:37:04 EDT »

Graphically it's stunning. The audio is stunning. The controls are very smooth. The story so far is slow. They are easing in.

FWIW I'm on sequence 2.

Also FWIW I traded in so many games I had enough to pay for AC3 plus get $15 back to put down on Halo 4 which drops next week. AC and Halo back to back weeks? 

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 04:40:52 EDT »

FWIW I'm on sequence 2.

Also FWIW I traded in so many games I had enough to pay for AC3 plus get $15 back to put down on Halo 4 which drops next week. AC and Halo back to back weeks? 

And I think COD comes out the week after that.  Not that I'm getting it, but still...

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 04:54:22 EDT »

And I think COD comes out the week after that.  Not that I'm getting it, but still...

It does. That will be a Christmas pickup for me.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 04:57:50 EDT »

It does. That will be a Christmas pickup for me.

I'm done until Spring.  Well, I'm done with new games anyway.  I still have a B2G1 used coupon I have to use before the end of November.

generic name here
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 06:49:08 EDT »

So, valley forge in ac3, pretty much great. This game is delivering for me. Loving every minute of it. I have to pause occasionally to savor in its greatness. It's really my kind of game.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 09:07:08 EDT »

So, valley forge in ac3, pretty much great. This game is delivering for me. Loving every minute of it. I have to pause occasionally to savor in its greatness. It's really my kind of game.

I haven't reached that point yet.  Just completed the Boston Tea Party.  And I probably won't get to pick it up again until Saturday.

generic name here
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2012, 12:37:52 EDT »

I haven't reached that point yet.  Just completed the Boston Tea Party.  And I probably won't get to pick it up again until Saturday.

I haven't done much of anything at valley forge yet, and don't know if the game is going to let me, but I just thought it looked really cool on my screen. The story and the setup are the things I like the most. It's very interesting.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2012, 02:57:04 EDT »

Honestly to this point as a hardcore ac fan I've been a little disappointed. It's radically different than before and the story hasn't grabbed me yet. But I'm still way early in the game.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2012, 04:23:48 EDT »

Holy crap that dude was a Templar???????????!

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2012, 04:28:42 EDT »

Holy crap that dude was a Templar???????????!

And THAT'S the twist I was referring to.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2012, 04:32:17 EDT »

Welcome to GTTW

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2012, 05:34:00 EDT »

And THAT'S the twist I was referring to.

And just like that, the story caught me.

Creek Walker
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2012, 09:38:37 EDT »

Can't say I saw that little surprise coming. That sets AC III up to be the best story in the series thus far.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2012, 01:04:56 EDT »

Can't say I saw that little surprise coming. That sets AC III up to be the best story in the series thus far.

I knew something was up, only because the trailer I posted above shows Charles Lee as a bad guy.  But I thought it would just be a matter of him going rogue, I wasn't expecting what happened.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: