VTTW Board Index
June 02, 2024, 10:07:34 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Chattanooga at Tennessee, August 31, 2024, 12:45 p.m. ET, SEC Network. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: And so it begins....  (Read 9999 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2013, 08:31:20 EST »

Mack Brown stepping down at TX on twitter and orangebloods

volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 09:25:07 EST »

Not sure about that

http://tracking.si.com/2013/12/10/mack-brown-texas-step-down-coach/
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 09:26:01 EST »

well of course they do. I bet Mack Brown does too.

BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 09:27:24 EST »

Premature report by them. Brown has since denied it to the 24/7 site writer Bobby Burton. However, Burton says something could happen in the next forty eight hours. The thinking is their Board of Regents meeting on Thursday could be interesting if news doesn't come sooner. For those with a 247 account, you can view the Texas site with your member account to your team board. That's another reason I like 247 so much, you can read any team site.

BG
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 09:30:31 EST »

Premature report by them. Brown has since denied it to the 24/7 site writer Bobby Burton. However, Burton says something could happen in the next forty eight hours. The thinking is their Board of Regents meeting on Thursday could be interesting if news doesn't come sooner. For those with a 247 account, you can view the Texas site with your member account to your team board. That's another reason I like 247 so much, you can read any team site.

BG

Mrs Satan errrrr Saban was reportedly in Austin doing some real estate shopping as reported by coachingrumoursdejour.com

(Sheesh I keed and he goes into orbit)

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 09:34:08 EST »

BG

http://texas.rivals.com/

BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 09:34:41 EST »

Mrs Satan errrrr Saban was reportedly in Austin doing some real estate shopping as reported by coachingrumoursdejour.com

(Sheesh I keed and he goes into orbit)

Get in the kitchen and cook me some food!

BG
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 09:40:25 EST »

Yep. I'm also a Rivals member as well as 24/7. Read the article. My thinking is this, whether or not Mack brown knows it, he will be stepping down.......

I think this quote says much: "Mack Brown loves Texas and wants what's in the best interest of Texas and what's in the best interest of Mack Brown," one high-level source said. "I don't think it's been an easy decision. But he doesn't want negativity around the program he helped unify."

BG
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 09:45:02 EST »

Yep. I'm also a Rivals member as well as 24/7. Read the article. My thinking is this, whether or not Mack brown knows it, he will be stepping down.......

I think this quote says much: "Mack Brown loves Texas and wants what's in the best interest of Texas and what's in the best interest of Mack Brown," one high-level source said. "I don't think it's been an easy decision. But he doesn't want negativity around the program he helped unify."

BG

I think he knows it. He'd be a fool not to. Chances are it will be official soon.

What we don't know as well is who will replace him - that is what I am more interested in. Saban did not deny that his agent did have talks with them.

BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 09:49:34 EST »

I think he knows it. He'd be a fool not to. Chances are it will be official soon.

What we don't know as well is who will replace him - that is what I am more interested in. Saban did not deny that his agent did have talks with them.

Sexton has talked to them, that's not in doubt. If someone-anyone-is going to talk money, then his job is to listen. The "done deal" reports out of Texas is what has been denied.

BG
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 09:52:35 EST »

Another thing. Yeah, Mack has to know because it became clear when his biggest supporter Deloss Dodd recently became the former AD at Texas.

BG
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 09:55:02 EST »

This seems like a garbage way for Texas to handle the situation.
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 10:05:12 EST »

They could definitely handle this better, Vinnie. Their problem has been unity among their decision makers. That's how it always is, huh? Their President is reportedly a Mack Brown guy, but their Board of Regents are the true decision makers and they want Brown out. According to Burton on Texas' 24/7 site, they are in the process of letting their President know who calls the real shots so expect some more news soon.

BG
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 10:07:53 EST by BGHarper » Logged
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 11:18:32 EST »

According to the Dallas News Saban was today paged at the Austin Airport....yes, a prank.

BG
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 11:21:08 EST by BGHarper » Logged
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 12:17:29 EST »

seems like this kind of stuff always happens the garbage way

volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2013, 09:02:31 EST »

well of course they do. I bet Mack Brown does too.

You were saying?
Creek Walker
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2013, 01:38:48 EST »

You were saying?

You were saying? :D

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2013, 01:52:51 EST »

You were saying?

You have a problem reading?

volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2013, 03:19:00 EST »

You have a problem reading?

Hey, cheer up, you were right.....for once. 
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2013, 05:23:16 EST »

Hey, cheer up, you were right.....for once.  

I didn't write the story

« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 05:42:03 EST by Volznut » Logged
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2013, 06:24:44 EST »

IMO, Mack Brown should have retired several years ago.  Why some old men what to hang on years after their time is beyond me. I guess for some fame and adulation is what is  important.  Yes Texas did win a majority of its games. But Texas was not dominant and feared in the Big 12 anymore.  They have not even been the best college team in Texas for years.

Mack Brown lost his job because the assistant coaches and coordinators he personally selected could not judge, sign, and develop the players into a team that could win the big games. When all you have to hang your hat on this year is "Well his team did play for the Big 12 championship this year." is a sad commentary on the state of Big 12 football. Texas got beaten badly by Baylor.

How can a Texas team with all the football talent in Texas fail to sign and develop a QB in years?  The two years the QB played well, they won a MNC and lost the other one.

How can Texas that was known for its rugged, ball-hawking defense suddenly turn into a sieve that cannot tackle or watches the WR run by  for the score?

How can a team that almost always finishes in the Top 10 in recruiting in (according to experts) talent rich Texas be so bad?  My explanation is the kids he signed were the best high school players that never got any better. It takes a lot of dedication and commitment to keep improving and developing your skills against equal talent. Mack, for whatever reason, lost his eye for picking people who could strive to get better.

I am just not one that says your should let a coach go out on his own terms. A real man knows when he is past his prime and cannot get it done anymore and can put his ego aside to do the right thing.

Mack knew that short of winning the playoff next year, his time at Texas was over. The new AD had zero loyalty to him. The President of the university was loyal, but if he stood up for Brown that Big Money was going to get him fired or wounded so badly his tenure was in jeopardy.  Big Money got their way. Mack quit.

I have no sorrow or hatred for Mack Brown. He was paid exceptionally well for a sports coach. He was an idol for many. He was a goat for others.  In case you have not been paying attention, that is life. In the end, he is just a man.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2013, 08:02:08 EST »

IMO, Mack Brown should have retired several years ago.  Why some old men what to hang on years after their time is beyond me. I guess for some fame and adulation is what is  important.  Yes Texas did win a majority of its games. But Texas was not dominant and feared in the Big 12 anymore.  They have not even been the best college team in Texas for years.

Mack Brown lost his job because the assistant coaches and coordinators he personally selected could not judge, sign, and develop the players into a team that could win the big games. When all you have to hang your hat on this year is "Well his team did play for the Big 12 championship this year." is a sad commentary on the state of Big 12 football. Texas got beaten badly by Baylor.

How can a Texas team with all the football talent in Texas fail to sign and develop a QB in years?  The two years the QB played well, they won a MNC and lost the other one.

How can Texas that was known for its rugged, ball-hawking defense suddenly turn into a sieve that cannot tackle or watches the WR run by  for the score?

How can a team that almost always finishes in the Top 10 in recruiting in (according to experts) talent rich Texas be so bad?  My explanation is the kids he signed were the best high school players that never got any better. It takes a lot of dedication and commitment to keep improving and developing your skills against equal talent. Mack, for whatever reason, lost his eye for picking people who could strive to get better.

I am just not one that says your should let a coach go out on his own terms. A real man knows when he is past his prime and cannot get it done anymore and can put his ego aside to do the right thing.

Mack knew that short of winning the playoff next year, his time at Texas was over. The new AD had zero loyalty to him. The President of the university was loyal, but if he stood up for Brown that Big Money was going to get him fired or wounded so badly his tenure was in jeopardy.  Big Money got their way. Mack quit.

I have no sorrow or hatred for Mack Brown. He was paid exceptionally well for a sports coach. He was an idol for many. He was a goat for others.  In case you have not been paying attention, that is life. In the end, he is just a man.

It's true that they had slipped from where they were earlier in the decade, also true that Mack was the guy that got them there.   It comes back to, what is the best way for easing out a great coach who doesn't have it anymore?   Again, I would say "very carefully".   And as far as they have fallen, Mack himself pointed out in his final presser that he got a parade in his first season for winning 9 games, which Texas may well win this year. if they win the bowl game.  They probably will, just because it's his last game.  So what has changed...as he pointed out, is the EXPECTATIONS.   Texas fans now consider a 9 win season a FAILURE, which was not the case in the 90s.  To some extent, he is a victim of his own success.

Now, does he "have it" anymore?  Clearly not...they have clearly slipped.  But replacing him is a crapshoot.  Who knows what will happen next?   More often than not, the transition fails.   Maybe they will get lucky, but I prefer the approach taken by FSU...let the old guy stick around, be patient, ease him out and then likely things go better.  You can argue that Texas has in fact done that....Muschamp was the "coach in waiting " for a while (they may have dodged one there lol).

Now I will say this....for all that, I still think Texas has handled this better than UT did in 2008 (though they had a more successful season).     And there transition is likely to go better than us, it can hardly go worse!

Still, I think it will be a while before Texas wins another NC, unless they get really lucky and win the loterry with a relatively unknown coach.

But saying a nine win season where you play for the Big 12 Championship is "pititful"....that's a FAN problem, not a coach problem.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: