VTTW Board Index
June 03, 2024, 10:25:53 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Chattanooga at Tennessee, August 31, 2024, 12:45 p.m. ET, SEC Network. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hunter Johnson commits to Vols  (Read 3951 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2015, 10:24:32 EDT »

5 star QB class of 2017. Overall #10

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 12:38:49 EDT »

And we also lead for 2018 #1 QB Trevor Lawrence.  We've got two freshmen (plus Jennings) looking great in camp right now, Guarantano (who may ultimately end up as 2016's #1 QB) comes onboard next year, and, oh yeah, we've still got two more years of Josh Dobbs. 

All your QB are belong to us.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 12:58:55 EDT »

This is awesome.  We are back to the epic Fulmer recruiting days of the mid 90s, and we all know what that did for the program.   

For this reason, even if Jones does not go to the SECC next year we should extend his contract, provided we win 9-10 games next year.

Dobbs may not quite be the guy to get us over the top, though I hope he is. 

So forgive me for the look ahead to next season, because this one has not even quite started yet, but I am saying that given his recruiting ability and the general progress so far, a near miss at the SECC next year and a New Year's bowl game with 9-10 regular season wins is enough for me to give Butch another 2-3 years.

We will likely face a rebuilding year in 2017 (but in this case "rebuilding" once again means "only" 8-9 wins), but if things continue as they are we will be really strong the next 2-3 years.  In other words, we will be fully back. 

Had hammy not been an idjut, we likely never drop below the 7-8 win threshold of barely acceptable mediocrity.  Butch has done well enough that I am already liking him beyond 2016. 

And yes, let's see what happens this season first.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 01:13:51 EDT »

This is awesome.  We are back to the epic Fulmer recruiting days of the mid 90s, and we all know what that did for the program.   

For this reason, even if Jones does not go to the SECC next year we should extend his contract, provided we win 9-10 games next year.

Dobbs may not quite be the guy to get us over the top, though I hope he is. 

So forgive me for the look ahead to next season, because this one has not even quite started yet, but I am saying that given his recruiting ability and the general progress so far, a near miss at the SECC next year and a New Year's bowl game with 9-10 regular season wins is enough for me to give Butch another 2-3 years.

We will likely face a rebuilding year in 2017 (but in this case "rebuilding" once again means "only" 8-9 wins), but if things continue as they are we will be really strong the next 2-3 years.  In other words, we will be fully back. 

Had hammy not been an idjut, we likely never drop below the 7-8 win threshold of barely acceptable mediocrity.  Butch has done well enough that I am already liking him beyond 2016. 

And yes, let's see what happens this season first.   

Our success next year will largely depend on how many early draft entries we have (it's been a long time since we had to worry about that).  Cam is almost certainly gone.  North could go.  Kamara could go.  So could JRM.  Maybe even Dobbs- I don't think he'd leave, but if the NFL waves those millions in his face, you never know. 

If all or most of those guys return, we will compete for championships (plural) next year.  If they go, 9-10 wins is probably our ceiling.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 03:49:52 EDT »

Our success next year will largely depend on how many early draft entries we have (it's been a long time since we had to worry about that).  Cam is almost certainly gone.  North could go.  Kamara could go.  So could JRM.  Maybe even Dobbs- I don't think he'd leave, but if the NFL waves those millions in his face, you never know. 

If all or most of those guys return, we will compete for championships (plural) next year.  If they go, 9-10 wins is probably our ceiling.

Hm, good point.  I don't think we have to worry about North leaving unless he returns to his 2013 form.  He was one of the bigger disappointments last year, quite frankly.  Kamara maybe....but he is going to be playing second fiddle to Jalen.  I doubt he will get enough carries, but I suppose it's possible.  JRM...maybe.  He's pretty good.  Dobbs...I don't think there is any chance.  He is pretty intent on starting his own business and having a life outside of football.  It would have to be a banner year where he is widely regarded as one of the one or two best QBs in the league.

Heck, if Kamara, Dobbs and North are all candidates to go pro, it likely means we have a 10 or 11 win season and make the SECC.  If that happens, it will be worth it at least.   

It will be hard to hold on to Cam, but somehow I hope we do.  I was (very pleasantly) surprised Maggit stayed this year frankly (although he was lower in the draft and that likely factored into it)

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 04:30:51 EDT »

Does this mean Guarantano's (sp) commitment is expected to go away? If there's no QB in the '16 class, it's an easier sell to a '17 QB.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 04:41:38 EDT »

Does this mean Guarantano's (sp) commitment is expected to go away? If there's no QB in the '16 class, it's an easier sell to a '17 QB.

Based on his recent tweets, JG is still all Vol.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 04:49:36 EDT »

The '17 QB committed knowing the '16 guy is there. However, I would watch Guarantano
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: