VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 10:35:16 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Wolf catch  (Read 2618 times)
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: September 27, 2015, 03:14:04 EDT »

To begin, I am not putting this loss on officiating. No way, shape, or form - having said that, the last 10 seconds was very confusing.

On the last completion, did the official initially rule the clock should have stopped? I thought that he did. I also saw Butch talking to the side judge and I assumed he must have been asking if the clock was dead.

I think it is possible our staff thought the clock was dead. That would explain the loss of 7 seconds and the substitution penalty (if they initially thought they had a full play clock to work with). If the clock had been dead, it could have saved us those 7 seconds and that penalty, as well as given us another down to work with.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 03:17:11 EDT »

Yeah, I'm not clear what happened. I thought Smith got out bounds.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 03:25:31 EDT »

The clock kept running on Dobbs' fumble out of bounds, too.

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 03:26:39 EDT »

he did not get out of bounds.  his fwd progress was stopped inbounds.  its a routine call and the side judge immediately wound his arm to indicate it.  Wolf needed to fight harder to go fwd outta bounds, not backwards outta bounds...

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 03:26:48 EDT »

To begin, I am not putting this loss on officiating. No way, shape, or form - having said that, the last 10 seconds was very confusing.

On the last completion, did the official initially rule the clock should have stopped? I thought that he did. I also saw Butch talking to the side judge and I assumed he must have been asking if the clock was dead.

I think it is possible our staff thought the clock was dead. That would explain the loss of 7 seconds and the substitution penalty (if they initially thought they had a full play clock to work with). If the clock had been dead, it could have saved us those 7 seconds and that penalty, as well as given us another down to work with.

It was more than that.  I thought the Dobbs fumble should have stopped the clock, though I am no expert on the rules.  I also constantly saw the clock start early on first downs and not stop for 2-3 seconds after the whistle on our last drive.

Let me be clear...that is NOT why we lost.  But I don't have to like that we got screwed on that last drive, either.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 03:28:54 EDT »

The clock kept running on Dobbs' fumble out of bounds, too.

yeah, they marked it at the spot of the fumble.  there may be a special "end of game" rule that applies, im not sure.

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 03:48:49 EDT »

he did not get out of bounds.  his fwd progress was stopped inbounds.  its a routine call and the side judge immediately wound his arm to indicate it.  Wolf needed to fight harder to go fwd outta bounds, not backwards outta bounds...

Ok, thanks. I didn't see the side judge give a wind clock signal. I did see Butch talking to him and assumed he wanted to know the clock situation. The official who was at the spot of the reception did not give a wind clock signal - unless it was after the camera left the sidelines.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: