VTTW Board Index
May 04, 2024, 10:56:17 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 5th ahead of Oregon. Not bad  (Read 800 times)
10EC
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2022, 01:26:34 EST »

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2022, 01:44:01 EST »

That is quite acceptable, particularly given our lackluster showing.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2022, 03:27:58 EST »

I think we need TCU to lose. If Oregon wins the Pac 12 as a 1-loss team, the Ducks are probably going to sneak in. We SHOULD be able to count on the Ohio State/Michigan loser falling below us.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2022, 03:38:00 EST »

I think we need TCU to lose. If Oregon wins the Pac 12 as a 1-loss team, the Ducks are probably going to sneak in. We SHOULD be able to count on the Ohio State/Michigan loser falling below us.
I agree, but would add USCw to that list. I think we need at least two of those three to lose a game before their conference championship games, just to be safe.
Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2022, 05:10:16 EST »

I agree, but would add USCw to that list. I think we need at least two of those three to lose a game before their conference championship games, just to be safe.

Ideally, USC beats UCLA (to prevent the Bruins from jumping into serious consideration), then loses to Notre Dame. I don't think USC will jump ahead of Tennessee, even as Pac 12 champs, but obviously nothing can be ruled out at this point.

I would consider it highly unlikely that TCU beats both Texas and Baylor on the road the next two weeks, but the Toads have certainly defied the odds thus far.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2022, 12:55:12 EST »

USC's only loss is a controversial close road loss to Utah. I think they're the biggest threat from the PAC. But I'll be elated if UCLA and Oregon also pick up additional losses.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2022, 04:00:56 EST »

USC's only loss is a controversial close road loss to Utah. I think they're the biggest threat from the PAC. But I'll be elated if UCLA and Oregon also pick up additional losses.

I think any of the one-loss Pac 12 teams are a threat, but I also don't think it matters if TCU loses.  This is how I see it:

uga
one-loss Pac 12 champ
tOsu/meatchicken winner
Vols

This is assuming TCU loses, of course.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2022, 06:00:03 EST »

One thing to consider: we’re through the toughest part of our schedule. We have no more national showcase games left, while all of the other playoff contenders do. So while for many voters our loss to UGA will be their last impression of us, Oregon’s big win over USC (or vice versa) will be fresh in their minds. If the OSU/UM game is tight, they might consider the loser of that one. If Clemson blows out some tomato can in the ACCC, maybe they’ll even get some consideration.

I think we need style points. I think we need to try to hang 50+ on our last three opponents. Because for many/most voters, those box scores are all they’re going to see of us from here on out.

10EC
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2022, 06:11:45 EST »

One thing to consider: we’re through the toughest part of our schedule. We have no more national showcase games left, while all of the other playoff contenders do. So while for many voters our loss to UGA will be their last impression of us, Oregon’s big win over USC (or vice versa) will be fresh in their minds. If the OSU/UM game is tight, they might consider the loser of that one. If Clemson blows out some tomato can in the ACCC, maybe they’ll even get some consideration.

I think we need style points. I think we need to try to hang 50+ on our last three opponents. Because for many/most voters, those box scores are all they’re going to see of us from here on out.

Agree 100%…..  but honestly, if you told me we were even having this conversation in Nov back in August, I would have thought you were a loon.  I have had the best Fall I can remember in a long, long time.  Everything is gravy at this point.
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2022, 06:17:32 EST »

Agree 100%…..  but honestly, if you told me we were even having this conversation in Nov back in August, I would have thought you were a loon.  I have had the best Fall I can remember in a long, long time.  Everything is gravy at this point.

werd to the big berd

11B4PJ3F7
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2022, 09:36:39 EST »

I couldn’t agree more. While the CFP would be great, I’ll be super elated with an 11-1 record and a bid to the Sugar Bowl.
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2022, 09:42:30 EST »

More playing time for next years team > RUTS.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: