VTTW Board Index
May 07, 2024, 02:37:01 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sorry to link to another Vol board, but this is required reading...  (Read 4171 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2011, 07:15:40 EST »

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=7&f=1372&t=8396220
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 07:52:53 EST »

Other than we pull our guards, a LOT, he is more or less correct.  I forget which game it was but of the first 4 running plays we trapped in three of them (inefectively twice I might add - the FR Anderson made a nice block on his pull, Foster not so much ...)

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 08:21:55 EST »

Much to agree with, and no doubt we gotta get better in the OL,  BUT  ,  it would be hard to count the number of times a RB missed holes, lanes, cuts, etc. this year, not to mention just being LATE to the hole.  We absolutely must get quicker, hit the hole harder, and have more vision at the RB position.  A great RB can make an adequate OL look great.  A great OL cannot make an adequate RB look great.  Course, I would have gladly settled for adequate this year.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 08:23:50 EST »

Our rb's missed a lot of open lanes this year. Our OL whiffed a lot too.  A lethal combination for us.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 08:34:16 EST »

I guess my take from it is... It's not as simple as "fire Hiestand!"

It was a combination of a lot of things... Scheme, youth, injuries, circumstances.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 08:35:36 EST »

A great read.  I recall that was posted a few months ago, and some didn't like it because it defended Heistand, but I always figured Chad Clifton knew what he was talking about.

Great to see the more in-depth discussion.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 08:50:12 EST »

quick cutting ability. There were many, many times this year that if Poole took 1-2 steps to one side or the other he gets 6-8 yrds easy but he seemed to run into the back of the OLmen. If we can stay healthy next year I think everything will be fine in the Vol nation (i.e. it will evident we are on the right track).
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 09:01:00 EST »

All of that stuff is from Chad Clifton.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 11:04:29 EST »

I like Rivera as a receiver, but I'm not sure he's great at sealing the edge. That seemed to be a problem at times - or it could be my selective memory.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 06:24:47 EST »

I like Rivera as a receiver, but I'm not sure he's great at sealing the edge. That seemed to be a problem at times - or it could be my selective memory.

I mentioned the same thing after either Uga or uf. I don't think it's selective at all.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: