VTTW Board Index
May 08, 2024, 03:53:27 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My opinion on the DC search...  (Read 6931 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2012, 01:55:50 EST »

9 wins.  That all I care about. 

It's Dooley's ass on the line, so I want whomever he wants.  And I want Hart to provide him the resources to make the hire.  I don't care if it's another "big splash" or someone nobody has ever heard of.  If it's Steele or Shannon, fine.  If it's the DB coach at Bucksnort Academy for the Deaf, then I'm good with that too.  But whoever it turns out to be, I'll ultimately judge them along with the rest of the staff:  and that judgement will begin and end with 9 wins.  I don't care how we get there, but by hook or by crook, we'd better win 9.  If the offense puts up 45 points, I'm fine with a D that gives up 38.  If the offense sucks again, then the D had better be the second coming of the '85 Bears. 

In fact, I hope our new DC doesn't even have an introductory press conference, because I don't care what he has to say.  Just get out on the road and recruit, and then show me what you've got this Fall.  I don't give two shizzles what happens between now and then, I just want to start winning games again.

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 02:13:51 EST »

Hear, hear my friend.  Well said.  I don't think there is any doubt it is Dooley's ass on the line.  I feel for him after this past year.  I really do.  BUT, he is paid very well to produce, and if he doesn't, then we have an AD in place to make THE hire, and some good ball players, too.  I really believe UT will be ok.   
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 02:14:53 EST »

It's Dooley's ass on the line, so I want whomever he wants.  And I want Hart to provide him the resources to make the hire.  I don't care if it's another "big splash" or someone nobody has ever heard of.  If it's Steele or Shannon, fine.  If it's the DB coach at Bucksnort Academy for the Deaf, then I'm good with that too.  But whoever it turns out to be, I'll ultimately judge them along with the rest of the staff:  and that judgement will begin and end with 9 wins.  I don't care how we get there, but by hook or by crook, we'd better win 9.  If the offense puts up 45 points, I'm fine with a D that gives up 38.  If the offense sucks again, then the D had better be the second coming of the '85 Bears. 

In fact, I hope our new DC doesn't even have an introductory press conference, because I don't care what he has to say.  Just get out on the road and recruit, and then show me what you've got this Fall.  I don't give two shizzles what happens between now and then, I just want to start winning games again.

Dittos there, brother!

G   
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 02:20:20 EST »

Did you quit blogging?  You shouldn't have.  You are concise and well spoken.  Not patronizing. I will say the same to BOM when the time is right.  Same for Pirate, Meister, Nut, Clockie, Bandit, and many others...  this is a good site.  I intend to be a good boy from here on out!   
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 02:29:39 EST »

So many others... Vinnie, Stogie, and of course the curator... ReVOLver...    good stuff here, really. 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 02:31:02 EST »

Bucksnort Academy for the Deaf

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 02:32:11 EST »

So many others... Vinnie, Stogie, and of course the curator... ReVOLver...    good stuff here, really. 

Awww...   
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 03:12:41 EST »

B.A.D. gave up some pretty big plays this year. Their DBs were terrible at finding the ball. I expect better from Bucksnort Academy for the Deaf. Otherwise I agree.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 03:21:15 EST »

Kinda gave me chills. 
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 03:56:20 EST »

Awww...   

Now now... not that big of a deal.  lol   
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 01:44:33 EST »

we had avoided injuries this year we win at least 8....that seems to be one of the factors I've seen not considered with everyone bashing Dooley. We didn't have a good RB and I don't think our OL blocking scheme is the right one for facilitating pass protection AND effectiveness in the run game, but with that said if Hunter and Bray aren't BOTH lost by the 4th game of the year (just as we entered the most difficult part of the schedule) we easily win 8 and maybe 9 games. I read people considering hiring Fulmer back??? He's the reason we're struggling through this period. I think Dooley is a good coach, I think he definitely is building on his knowledge as he experiences growing pains at the big-time level but what we experienced this year can't be accurately, and fairly, assessed without acknowledging the devastating nature of those 2 injuries. My greatest fear is that we experience similar devastating injuries this year and fire Dooley and enter a cycle of new HC every 2-3 yrs. Without a period of stability we will struggle to get the talent and depth we need to compete. I don't care who the coach was this year it wouldn't have made a significant difference after we lost Hunter and Bray. I know I'm disheartened after the past 7 years and am willing to suffer another year or two if we can get Tennessee football back to where it should be.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 02:13:40 EST »

we had avoided injuries this year we win at least 8....that seems to be one of the factors I've seen not considered with everyone bashing Dooley. We didn't have a good RB and I don't think our OL blocking scheme is the right one for facilitating pass protection AND effectiveness in the run game, but with that said if Hunter and Bray aren't BOTH lost by the 4th game of the year (just as we entered the most difficult part of the schedule) we easily win 8 and maybe 9 games. I read people considering hiring Fulmer back??? He's the reason we're struggling through this period. I think Dooley is a good coach, I think he definitely is building on his knowledge as he experiences growing pains at the big-time level but what we experienced this year can't be accurately, and fairly, assessed without acknowledging the devastating nature of those 2 injuries. My greatest fear is that we experience similar devastating injuries this year and fire Dooley and enter a cycle of new HC every 2-3 yrs. Without a period of stability we will struggle to get the talent and depth we need to compete. I don't care who the coach was this year it wouldn't have made a significant difference after we lost Hunter and Bray. I know I'm disheartened after the past 7 years and am willing to suffer another year or two if we can get Tennessee football back to where it should be.

Injuries or no, the Kentucky loss and not making a bowl was a sign of inept coaching.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 02:20:47 EST »

Agree with all.  And that's why I don't think it's unreasonable to expect 9 wins next season with 19 starters back, a full roster for the first time in 4 years, and a much more manageable schedule.  We stay healthy, we absolutely should win 9, maybe even 10.  

But what I saw towards the end of the season gives me pause.  I saw a team that was fractured, that didn't care.  And that's Dooley's charge for next year: gaining the ear of his team, and keeping it for the entire season.  It's easy to promote unity in the lockerroom right before the season opener, when you've gone 9 months without a game and the whole team is hungry to play.  But can you keep that unity in October and November, when Bammer and LSU come out and hit you in the mouth?  Injuries or not, that didn't happen this season.  We flat gave up in the 2nd half of those games (and I won't even mention the Kentucky debacle).  And that has to change next year.  I don't know if Dooley can get it done or not, but I'm rooting for him.  I don't want to go through yet another coaching change either.  But if he fields another mentally weak team next season, it's going to happen.  

Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 02:23:21 EST »

While I agree that having Bray and Hunter healthy all year would have made a difference in our win total, the concern is that we underachieved with the players we still had on the field.  I really like Dooley a lot and am still hoping he is successful, but what happened last year seemed to be a case of putting all our eggs in the passing game basket.  When that broke down, we were pitiful.  I understand we were young, but we had more talent on the team than what our production showed. Sure, we're still rebuilding and I don't think anyone expected us to compete for championships last season, but I do think we simply mailed it in through much of our SEC schedule.

I have no idea what happened in team and coaches meetings, but what was reflected on the field appeared to be an attitude of "This season is shot, let's just go about business as usual as best we can" rather than, "We no longer have the resources of Hunter and Bray, so we're going to adjust our offense to put us in the best position to score and win ballgames."

With our schedule as it is next year, I'm with BDV, we should expect 9 wins.
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 02:47:55 EST »

myself in their skin so to speak and imagine what was the cause....I suspect it was a lot to do with the fact we had no running game (i.e. all offensive production was lost with the injuries leading to exasperation on both sides of the ball). I can understand (as Clifton pointed out) Dooley and the staff seeing the passing game as being the strength of the offense, and I think we saw early that the passing game, in tact, was very potent, but the lack of focus on the run game was devastating when Bray and Hunter went down. This lack of contingency planning and failure to focus on as balanced an offense as possible is what I was referring to as growing pains....hopefully he learned, if he has any hope of making it at this level he did. To ReVolver, the only thing I fail to understand, and put the blame squarely on Dooley, is why after 1 quarter, when it was painfully apparent that Bray could not be effective due to his injury, did he not play Worley, or even Simms.....to let a back up WR playing QB for the first time beat you basically running the ball is inexcusable! WHY would you not go down firing all of your guns? With any kind of offensive output we win. That IMO is on Dooley alone. The D played adequately but with the lack of offensive output we were hapless. I pray everyone stays healthy and we revisit the blocking scheme so as to improve the run game, if so I really think we could win the east (best case, I realize it would take a few breaks but I think it's realistic). The Vol nation aches and groans and I pray for healing beginning next year!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 04:34:18 EST »

Expecting nine wins is now de rigeur, but a few years ago it was unacceptable.  How far we have fallen!  But at least nine wins is a reasonable  expectation. 

Some very good points BDV...like I have been saying, wake me up in August.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 05:38:23 EST »

I'm in the same boat. From what I've seen, Dooley has not impressed me with his leadership. From my experience, it's incredible tough to change the tone of the team after you've already set it. You can't walk in the door weak and then get tougher, but you can come in tough and soften up.

He has had the time to settle in, so now it's time for the coach to start coaching. I wish him the best of luck, but I'm pretty set in my ways and expectations

11B4PJ3F7
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: