VTTW Board Index
May 07, 2024, 09:04:20 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Here's why I really like Dooley as a person and want to believe in him  (Read 8483 times)
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2012, 12:06:56 EST »

This quote is the anti-Fulmer. He is a smart guy but doesn't think he's so smart that he doesn't need change in the staff. I think the comment of there not having to be any healing of a "past" between players and coaches is pretty telling.

"First off, there were a lot of hard and frank conversations at the end of the season that we all needed to have as coaches. Did it surprise me that many left? Yea, probably. Was it difficult? The only difficult part was making sure it didn't affect recruiting and I'm not sure what kind of affect it had. I think it had a positive affect on some guys and it probably had a negative affect on others. It's hard to speculate what kind of impact that had. But I also think there needed to be some change. I anticipated some change coming and I felt like that would be a healthy thing for our program. I think it was going to be healthy thing for our players given how difficult the last 24 months have been. Infusing a little new energy and inheriting a team that's a little bit more mature we don't have a past we don't have to go heal. We can start from scratch with a more mature football player and a little more energized who wants to go win for Tennessee."

Well said, Derek... but can you translate it to wins on the field? I sure hope so. 

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 01:42:12 EST »

I think he will translate it to wins.  The first year he actually did pretty dang good, considering everything.  Hopefully, the third year will be his year to catch some breaks.  I have no explanation for what happened against KY with a bowl on the line, but it's past. The staff is refreshed & re-energized, and the roster is in much better shape.  I think this is the year.  What is the rest of the east looking like?  Will Georgia be favored?  Neither Georgia nor USCe dominated the Vols last year.  Georgia did pull away in the second half.  Has Florida hired an OC?  I see no reason we shouldn't be right in the thick of the east!
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 01:51:05 EST »

To me this looks like a winning lineup!

OFFENSE
QB: Tyler Bray 4star
HB: Marlin Lane 4star
WR1: Justin Hunter 4star
WR2: Darick Rogers 5star
WR3: Cordarelle Patterson 5star
TE: Mychael Rivera 3star -
LT: Ja'Wuan James 4star
LG: Marcus Jackson 4star
C: Alex Bullard 4star
RG: Zach Fulton 3star
RT: Antonio Richardson 4star

DEFENSE
LE: Darrington Sentimore 4star (out of HS)
NT: Mccullers 4star
RE: Mcouch 4star
SOLB: Jsmith 4star
MLB: A.J Johnson 4star
MLB: Lathers 3star
WOLB: Cmaggit 4star
CB: Izauea Lanier 4star
FS: Brian Randolph 4star
SS: LaDarrell McNeil 4star
CB: Prentiss Waggner 3star
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 02:52:36 EST »

OFFENSE

DEFENSE

I think we hope that looks like a winning lineup. No worries... you are doing what I have done for years... assume that players are going to step up. But when you really look at it, how good of a winning lineup is it? I love Tyler, but he still hasn't beaten a team better than Cincinnati. Lane was not spectacular in his first year. If he had been merely good, he would've unseated Poole. The optimistic view (and I posted it here the other day) is that a player never really gains form until the 2nd year after a knee injury, so maybe that bodes well for Lane... but if so, what does that say about Justin Hunter? We have no idea if he will return to the form he had early last year. The OL underachieved... sure all the guys are back and there is a new coach... but they were not good last year, so we are hoping they get better. Richardson hasn't played. Patterson hasn't played at this level.

Defensively, we are switching schemes and that's a cause for short term concern. Georgia switched two years ago with better athletes than us and really struggled with it. Smith hasn't played LB at the college level. McCullers and Sentimore are newcomers. McNeil is a true freshman and that's dangerous in the defensive backfield. Lathers is also returning from a major injury... will he be ready?

All I'm saying is that the homer looks at the roster and says "We can win with this" and yes you are right about one thing... the top 22 is significantly upgraded as far as star ranking out of HS... but the realist says that we have a flashy but unproven QB, no proven running game, a star WR who is recovering from major injury, and a JUCO WR that hasn't played at the SEC level. We are switching schemes on defense and we're relying on three newcomers to the program, an injured LB, and a guy who is changing positions. And the kicking game, specifically the placekicking and punting, was an unmitigated disaster last year. Oh and by the way... we have replaced virtually our whole coaching staff.

Could all this come together into some storybook season? Sure... but man that's a LOT of unknowns to be hanging our hats on it.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 04:38:18 EST »

If not for the loss to KY we would not be so frustrated. We all looked toward 2012 as the chance for a positive year and 2013 as the 1st best shot at the SECC.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 06:18:28 EST »

ON the 3-4, I think we will do a hybrid - some 3-4, some 4-3, but not exclusively a 3-4. Not this yr. Probably next year.
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 01:43:21 EST »

unwillingness to change QBs coupled with the anemic running game we've seen the past few years. The D just gave out from being on the field too long and being put in bad field position just enough times to result in a KY win. Again, if Bray and Hunter stay healthy we're talking at least 2 more wins, probably 3....Dooley can't prevent those. I think if everyone stays healthy we'll have a decent season but I really think he should get 2 more years to provide some much needed continuity and to get the cupboards completely full so we can once again compete with the best of the SEC.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 03:59:13 EST »

Again, if Bray and Hunter stay healthy we're talking at least 2 more wins, probably 3....

Again, that's a huge leap of supposition. Kentucky I will give you for sure... I don't think we can assume that we would've definitely won two games.

I guess I've just gotten to the point where I'm not going to always take the pro-Orange view on everything and for that reason I notice it more when others do it.

The rest of your post talked about continuity and I'm all for continuity if the program is moving forward on the field. I haven't seen that proof yet. Continuity only works when the person in place is getting it done. That combined with a new AD is what makes this a watershed year for Dooley.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 04:00:17 EST »

ON the 3-4, I think we will do a hybrid - some 3-4, some 4-3, but not exclusively a 3-4. Not this yr. Probably next year.

This is widely known. But we are still changing schemes... new DC, new terminology, new people in new places.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 04:02:24 EST »

If not for the loss to KY we would not be so frustrated. We all looked toward 2012 as the chance for a positive year and 2013 as the 1st best shot at the SECC.

With all due respect, that point of view is the one that really gets me. That's like saying "if not for little Bighorn, Custer would've been a damn good general." The Kentucky loss happened and it changed everything and it should've.

VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 04:40:10 EST »

Again, that's a huge leap of supposition. Kentucky I will give you for sure... I don't think we can assume that we would've definitely won two games.

I guess I've just gotten to the point where I'm not going to always take the pro-Orange view on everything and for that reason I notice it more when others do it.

The rest of your post talked about continuity and I'm all for continuity if the program is moving forward on the field. I haven't seen that proof yet. Continuity only works when the person in place is getting it done. That combined with a new AD is what makes this a watershed year for Dooley.

why I continue to refer to those factors as to why last year did not meet expectations and feel it's unfair to not consider those factors beyond Dooley's control when evaluating him. Suppose your company says "no more spending" and your servers require upgrading would you feel it reasonable if your boss begins blaming you when people throughout the company begin to grumble and complain about lost data and lost productivity? He had very little to work with and lost his best parts so how was he supposed to "move forward". Now if the key players stay healthy and we don't move forward then that's on the coaches. At least if they do decide to change after this year who ever steps in won't have as little to work with as Dooley did when he took over.
RockyMtnVol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 06:03:08 EST »

For cryin' out loud - our ONLY SEC WIN last year was an overtime victory over VANDY. Of course we all hope things will improve, and improve SOON, but that won't happen by distorting the reality of 2011.
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 07:05:56 EST »

looking at the cause and simply stating that IMHO it can't all be attributed to Dooley and if we continue on the coaching carousel we will be hard pressed to attract the players we need as well as coaches. As to "our only SEC win", look who we lost to....all but one were in the top 15 and 2 played for NC.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 07:40:29 EST »

With all due respect, that point of view is the one that really gets me. That's like saying "if not for little Bighorn, Custer would've been a damn good general." The Kentucky loss happened and it changed everything and it should've.

I understand what happened with that game and was not excusing the loss. My viewpoint was from one of talent and numbers. Regardless of the ky game we were not expecting to have the talent pool available to compete for the SECC until 2013. That didn't change just because of the ky game. What changed was the outlook on Dooley and that is not what my main point was.

I am in a similar mode of wait and see as well. I can't change last year and I am tired of dwelling on it so putting that behind me and looking forward I realized this was the year we were pointing to as the first step up. If we have a repeat of last year then Dooley will likely be gone and I would agree with that because he has enough talent and depth (mostly, not everywhere) now to win 8 or 9 games. If he wins 8 I think he stays at least another year. I think we could have a shot at the east if things fall right this year, but I am not going to get excited again until I see a good product on the field.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 11:12:48 EST »

why I continue to refer to those factors as to why last year did not meet expectations and feel it's unfair to not consider those factors beyond Dooley's control when evaluating him. Suppose your company says "no more spending" and your servers require upgrading would you feel it reasonable if your boss begins blaming you when people throughout the company begin to grumble and complain about lost data and lost productivity? He had very little to work with and lost his best parts so how was he supposed to "move forward". Now if the key players stay healthy and we don't move forward then that's on the coaches. At least if they do decide to change after this year who ever steps in won't have as little to work with as Dooley did when he took over.

That part comparing it to my job is a strawman argument. I don't make $3MM per year.

You move forward by not losing to Kentucky, injuries or not, and by not losing the locker room towards the end, which he obviously did. He has a chance to move forward this year and if it doesn't , I'm done.

ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 02:04:45 EST »

As to "our only SEC win", look who we lost to....all but one were in the top 15 and 2 played for NC.

This is the type of statement that all I can say is WTH???.......................there is no excuse for us not winning 7 games last year period dot!  We got out coached BAD IN THE LOSSES.........................VERY LUCKY AGAINST VANDY CAUSE FRANKLIN OUTCOACHED DOOLEY TOO...........................Vandy and Kentucky outplayed and outcoached us...................................   Don't make excuses for someone who did a poor job and has all the money and tools to get the job done.

Go Big Orange.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 02:56:12 EST »

This is the type of statement that all I can say is WTH???.......................there is no excuse for us not winning 7 games last year period dot!  We got out coached BAD IN THE LOSSES.........................VERY LUCKY AGAINST VANDY CAUSE FRANKLIN OUTCOACHED DOOLEY TOO...........................Vandy and Kentucky outplayed and outcoached us...................................   Don't make excuses for someone who did a poor job and has all the money and tools to get the job done.

Here is the deal.  You, nor I, nor Revolver, nor anybody on a message board has any say.  The guy has done us a service by rescuing us from the train wreck Fulmer caused, and Kiffiin made worse. Your job as a "fan" is to support the program, not necessarily financially, but at least by realizing how bad it got.  What Kiffiin did was a worst case scenario.  What good does it do to be so fizzleing negative?  We needed consecutive solid recruiting classes.  We have that!  They will produce this year.  Bank it!  And if not, then fire him in a way that we don't have to start over again...  news flash, we ain't got great in state talent, and more importantly, we ain't no "glamor" state.  Clearly a lot of people in the business don't want to fizzleing be here!  The ONLY reason we stay close is the money spent on recruiting, facilities.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 04:12:04 EST »

Here is the deal.  You, nor I, nor Revolver, nor anybody on a message board has any say.  The guy has done us a service by rescuing us from the train wreck Fulmer caused, and Kiffiin made worse. Your job as a "fan" is to support the program, not necessarily financially, but at least by realizing how bad it got.  What Kiffiin did was a worst case scenario.  What good does it do to be so fizzleing negative?  We needed consecutive solid recruiting classes.  We have that!  They will produce this year.  Bank it!  And if not, then fire him in a way that we don't have to start over again...  news flash, we ain't got great in state talent, and more importantly, we ain't no "glamor" state.  Clearly a lot of people in the business don't want to fizzleing be here!  The ONLY reason we stay close is the money spent on recruiting, facilities.

Just because somebody is negative doesn't mean they aren't supporting the program.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 09:18:46 EST »

On the Kentucky thing, I agree it was that particular game that simply ruined the season.  Further, I agree that there is no excuse for it.

I don't see it as a complete disaster however.  It happened. How we react to it is what's important.

If the team reacts as, hey, we can't even PRETEND to be moving in the right direction anymore, let's get to work, then it might just be the turning point in retrospect.   

It might just be all up and out from here.  Squeaking by Kentucky might have led to a false sense of complacency that everything was all right when it was not.  I say that particularly about Dooley.  He should, I hope, now realize that he can't bring the youth and inexperience into it anymore.  Produce or be gone!

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 09:19:32 EST »

OFFENSE

DEFENSE

The lineup is great, but do we have any DEPTH?  That IMO was a big part of our problem last year.

I guess we HAVE to have more, because we had almost none last year.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: