VTTW Board Index
May 08, 2024, 05:48:20 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Noticed on some ND forums Irish fans complaining about oversigning.  (Read 5516 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2013, 09:31:01 EST »

They say that as long as the SEC can oversign recruits that they
can never compete. Why can SEC sign more recruits than other conferences or ND? Seems like a legit question. They also were bitching about how many scholarships Bama voids when better talent comes in

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 10:07:10 EST »

. They also were bitching about how many scholarships Bama voids when better talent comes in

This is very true.  It was in the NY Times, not that the two are related, lol.

This is one of many reasons that saban is an ahole.  He is absolutely ruthless with schollies.  He won't hesitate for one second to kick a player to the curb.

And yet, he leads the nation in recruiting 5 of the last 6 years.  Ya gotta wonder how?   

Stay tuned is all I can say.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 10:12:09 EST »

SEC can't oversign. That's garbage

Saban does kick players off at the last second because he can, and players are gullible high schoolers who want to play for him because he produces NFL prospects.

Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 10:55:58 EST »

The SEC adopted a new rule last year to prevent over-signing by reducing the number of signees a school can have to 25. The Big Ten has adopted a similar rule, but since Notre Dame refuses to join the conference, the Golden Domers aren't subject to it and can still sign the 28 as allowed by NCAA regulations.

Notre Dame has far more ability to over-sign players than an SEC school.
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 01:03:57 EST »

He doesn't oversign, but offers scholarships to kids and then withdraws them when he wants to give a scholarship to someone he thinks is better. He also runs off players already on the team. I expect that this goes on at many, if not most, schools but we seem to hear more about with him.

With that approach, you could offer every 4 and 5 star player and weed them out to get what you wanted.

It seems to work.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 05:34:22 EST »

He doesn't oversign, but offers scholarships to kids and then withdraws them when he wants to give a scholarship to someone he thinks is better. He also runs off players already on the team. I expect that this goes on at many, if not most, schools but we seem to hear more about with him.

With that approach, you could offer every 4 and 5 star player and weed them out to get what you wanted.

It seems to work.

He does it far more than other programs.  My impression is that it is or was relatively unusual to yank a schollie, but Saban does so with 6-8 a year.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 05:35:58 EST »

He does it far more than other programs.  My impression is that it is or was relatively unusual to yank a schollie, but Saban does so with 6-8 a year.

He does it because he CAN.
Ridge Runner
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 08:10:12 EST »

This is very true.  It was in the NY Times, not that the two are related, lol.

This is one of many reasons that saban is an ahole.  He is absolutely ruthless with schollies.  He won't hesitate for one second to kick a player to the curb.

And yet, he leads the nation in recruiting 5 of the last 6 years.  Ya gotta wonder how?   

Stay tuned is all I can say.   

How much longer are we going to have to stay tuned? We've been hearing this for the last several years.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 10:30:20 EST »

How much longer are we going to have to stay tuned? We've been hearing this for the last several years.

Not from me you haven't.  I am confident that it's happening.  Not so much that he will be caught.

We will see.  The juicy part is that if he is caught, they will have zero championships during his tenure.  Sweet! 

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 03:00:03 EST »

Not from me you haven't.  I am confident that it's happening.  Not so much that he will be caught.

We will see.  The juicy part is that if he is caught, they will have zero championships during his tenure.  Sweet!  

To be clear, I meant that you haven't heard this from me particularly for "several years".  I have only been saying this since last June, when I was doing research on recruiting.  I was curious simply who had been in the top five the last five years, looked into it, and found that bammer had been no. 1 four out of five years.  This led to further curiousity as to how that stacked against other top programs.  I was shocked at the disparity.  

For instance, in his time at Florida, 6 years total, Urban Meyer won two NCs.  Guess how often he was no. 1?  Never!  Never made it.  In fact, in his entire tenure, Florida was only in the top 5 three times in five years, let alone no. 1.  So who has the better natural recruiting advantage, Florida or bammer?  Which seems like a funner place to go to school?

In fact, in the last 10 years, which is as far back as I could find the records, only Florida under Zook in 2003 had a no. 1 recruiting class of the entire SEC!  And the SEC has collectively the greatest recruting there is.

The only team that approached Saban's success was Carroll at USC.  He had three straight no. 1 classes at So Cal  from 2004-2006.  And those are the EXACT ones he got put on probation for.

This does not constitute proof, but it reminds me of what someone said about Lance Armstrong on CNBC just this morning.  "He was recovering from testicular cancer and won 7 Tour de France titles, and no one said 'Huh, what's going on here'.  But in retrospect it's blindingly obvious...."

So I respectfully submit, that bammer's recruiting success simply is unrealistically good.   I have every confidence that they are cheating, but who knows if the NCAA will nut up and crack them or not.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 03:04:30 EST by BanditVol » Logged

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 03:35:21 EST »

To be clear, I meant that you haven't heard this from me particularly for "several years".  I have only been saying this since last June, when I was doing research on recruiting.  I was curious simply who had been in the top five the last five years, looked into it, and found that bammer had been no. 1 four out of five years.  This led to further curiousity as to how that stacked against other top programs.  I was shocked at the disparity.  

For instance, in his time at Florida, 6 years total, Urban Meyer won two NCs.  Guess how often he was no. 1?  Never!  Never made it.  In fact, in his entire tenure, Florida was only in the top 5 three times in five years, let alone no. 1.  So who has the better natural recruiting advantage, Florida or bammer?  Which seems like a funner place to go to school?

In fact, in the last 10 years, which is as far back as I could find the records, only Florida under Zook in 2003 had a no. 1 recruiting class of the entire SEC!  And the SEC has collectively the greatest recruting there is.

The only team that approached Saban's success was Carroll at USC.  He had three straight no. 1 classes at So Cal  from 2004-2006.  And those are the EXACT ones he got put on probation for.

This does not constitute proof, but it reminds me of what someone said about Lance Armstrong on CNBC just this morning.  "He was recovering from testicular cancer and won 7 Tour de France titles, and no one said 'Huh, what's going on here'.  But in retrospect it's blindingly obvious...."

So I respectfully submit, that bammer's recruiting success simply is unrealistically good.   I have every confidence that they are cheating, but who knows if the NCAA will nut up and crack them or not.

I don't think that's true about UF.  Corch Herban's last full class was called by many the greatest of all time.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 04:54:35 EST »

I don't think that's true about UF.  Corch Herban's last full class was called by many the greatest of all time.

You are both right and wrong.  My source is Rivals.  Florida was no. 1 in 2007.  When I C&P'd the archive I pasted 2008 over 2007 by mistake.   They were no 2 in 2010, his last year.  Even though he left that year, I believe he did so after signing day.  But ICBW about that part of it.

You shouldn't believe everything you read on the Mudlizard.   

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 04:56:13 EST »

You are both right and wrong.  My source is Rivals.  Florida was no. 1 in 2007.  When I C&P'd the archive I pasted 2008 over 2007 by mistake.   They were no 2 in 2010, his last year.  Even though he left that year, I believe he did so after signing day.  But ICBW about that part of it.

You shouldn't believe everything you read on the Mudlizard.   

Has Tennessee ever had a #1 class?

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 05:25:06 EST »

Has Tennessee ever had a #1 class?

I know that we did in 1994, even though the Rivals archive doesn't go back that far.  We were 2nd in 2002 and 3rd in 2007. 

You can check the archive here if you wish.  It only goes back to 2002.  Just toggle the year in the upper right corner.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/teamrank/2013/all/all

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: