VTTW Board Index
May 08, 2024, 10:06:50 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saw Zero Dark Thirty yesterday  (Read 2965 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2013, 02:33:04 EST »

I wasn't expecting much, because I thought Kathryn Bigelow's last war drama (The Hurt Locker) was overrated.  But it was amazing.  Best movie I've seen in years.  Don't miss it.

Oh, and spoiler alert: we killed the bastard.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 03:03:14 EST »

Yeah we liked it too, very intense. Jessica Chastain's performance was really great

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 03:16:07 EST »

Yeah we liked it too, very intense. Jessica Chastain's performance was really great

I haven't seen ALL the Best Pic nominees, but I have seen Django, Les Mis, Argo, and Lincoln.  I liked ZDT better than any of them.

VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 03:50:43 EST »

Hollywood versions and that much of the behavior, attitudes, tactics and gear were inaccurate....did you observe any of this? Also, I read the book, did anyone else read the book and if so will I be disappointed greatly with the movie?  
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 04:25:52 EST »

Hollywood versions and that much of the behavior, attitudes, tactics and gear were inaccurate....did you observe any of this? Also, I read the book, did anyone else read the book and if so will I be disappointed greatly with the movie?  

My wife read the book and she said it followed it pretty accurately. I can't answer your question on the seal behavior, but they really didn't have that much dialogue.

VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 04:42:40 EST »

go last weekend but I tore a ligament in my foot and I ain't gettin around so good. 
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 05:13:28 EST »

Well, I've never been an interrogator or a Navy SEAL, so I really can't comment with any knowledge on most of that.  But I am an AF vet, and one thing I did notice- the plane that Maya boarded to leave Afghanistan at the end of the movie was a C-130.  When have you EVER seen a C-130 in a movie?  For the past two decades, to the extent that airlifters are seen onscreen at all, it's always been a C-17 or a C-5.  The 130, despite being far and away the most ubiquitous bird in our inventory, just isn't "sexy" enough, I guess.  But they showed one here.  I thought that was a nice touch.

As for the rest, it all seemed pretty realistic to me, especially compared to some others.  Last week, I watched the first 20 minutes of "Seal Team Six", which covers a lot of the same subject matter.  It played like an Obama campaign commercial.  I turned it off because it was just too sensational and unbelievable, but I fully suspect that at the end, the POTUS suits up with the SEALS and personally delivers the killshot to OBL.  ZDT, OTOH, was very apolitical.  The interrogation and torture scenes are depicted as horrible and gruesome, but necessary- the CIA doesn't find OBL without them.  And in the later years when the politicians crack down on these tactics, the CIA's job becomes that much harder.  The raid itself is hyper-realistic, and really delivers that "you are there" feel.  There is no music, no slo-mo, no "matrix"-syle bullet-time, no special effects at all.  It's all business, and really conveys the ruthless efficiency with which our Special Forces do their job.  I thought it was awesome.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 05:19:50 EST by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 06:49:51 EST »

Can't wait to see it.
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 08:24:27 EST »

working an ECP when the C-130 and crew that flew Bin Laden's body out of Afganistan flew in, they invited him to sit in the cockpit and they took pic's for him. I thought that was pretty cool...that bird's a piece of history.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: