VTTW Board Index
May 10, 2024, 12:54:28 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mind your manners at Neyland, please  (Read 9089 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2013, 04:54:59 EDT »

http://m.knoxnews.com/news/2013/aug/20/letter-mind-your-manners-at-ut-home-games/

Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 04:58:56 EDT »

Ya know, I try to mind my manners and stay on my butt if there are old folks behind me who can't stand. But if you're 30ish or 40ish and you're behind me, prepare to stand. 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 05:04:13 EDT »

Ya know, I try to mind my manners and stay on my butt if there are old folks behind me who can't stand. But if you're 30ish or 40ish and you're behind me, prepare to stand. 

Yeah, I try to be considerate too.  But if people in front of me are standing I'm not gonna just sit there like an idiot.
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 05:10:26 EDT »

Dear Majorie

First of all I am respectful of others and stay seated while the normal ebb and flow of the game is going on, but if there is a big rally or the defense is trying to stop an opponent on third down and three (or two or one) be prepared for me to be standing because it is important and you need to get off your A$$ and help this team along with your cheering and maybe just maybe inspiring this team to achieve that defensive stop.  If you don't want to stand and be part of the Neyland 12th man I suggest you forgo purchasing your tickets and sit on your couch at the house and NOT cheer from there.  It is NOT disrespectful to be standing and yelling at the top of your lungs when it is a pivotal play in a game.  

Secondly I do sing the National Anthem (yeah I aint no Elvis Presley) but I do try to sing the words.  A lot of people around me do also.  If someone is not singing I am not going to say one word to them.  That is their problem not mine.  

In summary either cheer and support this team or stay HOME!!!!

EmerilVOL

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 05:14:21 EDT »

Yeah, I try to be considerate too.  But if people in front of me are standing I'm not gonna just sit there like an idiot.

You'll stand like one?
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 05:19:17 EDT »

You'll stand like one?

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 07:14:00 EDT »

Jeez. The fans have a responsibility in Neyland Stadium. Now, I'd say I don't typically stand the whole game . . . usually I won't stand during an offensive drive unless a big play is unfolding or we are getting close to the endzone. But when the Vols are on defense, you stand, you make noise, you contribute to the effort. And if someone in front of me DOES stand the whole game, then I'll be standing the whole game too, because by god they are doing their part and I'm not one to try to stop them.

One other thing, while we're on this sort of topic . . . if we can't get rid of the wave altogether (and please, please, please can we do that?), DON'T FREAKING DO IT WHILE WE HAVE THE BALL. Show me you have a few neurons still capable of firing in that brain and let the offense run without distraction.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 07:18:48 EDT »

The wave is a complete turd and should be killed.
Creek Walker
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 07:38:38 EDT »

The wave and the woo. Two peas in a pod. 
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 11:30:01 EDT »

Ms Jenkins can kiss my size large big orange behind!

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Model 12
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 12:19:22 EDT »

I gotta admit...I don't want to stand the ENTIRE game as some people have done on front of me.  My bigger bitch is them standing ON THE SEAT the entire game in front of me.  That's just selfish.  Seriously...

I know I am in the minority on this.  Sorry.
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 12:43:55 EDT »

I gotta admit...I don't want to stand the ENTIRE game as some people have done on front of me.  My bigger bitch is them standing ON THE SEAT the entire game in front of me.  That's just selfish.  Seriously...

I know I am in the minority on this.  Sorry.

I don't know that you're in the minority by not wanting them to stand ON the seat in front of you.  I expect people to stand at football games, but not on their seat.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 12:50:27 EDT »

I don't know that you're in the minority by not wanting them to stand ON the seat in front of you.  I expect people to stand at football games, but not on their seat.
That is an affirmative
Just ask the (rhymes with witch) who insisted on standing on her chair in front of us during a concert.  She suffered a chair malfunction.  A shame really, it malfunctioned to the point she couldn't even use it as a chair ...

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 01:45:42 EDT »

That is an affirmative
Just ask the (rhymes with witch) who insisted on standing on her chair in front of us during a concert.  She suffered a chair malfunction.  A shame really, it malfunctioned to the point she couldn't even use it as a chair ...

Lol...good for you! 
Volcreed
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 04:16:02 EDT »

Last year, I had a bad auto wreck and can no longer stand very well. I will be in Neyland August 31st and every home game in section L, and if you need to stand the whole game to cheer in front of me please do! I can easily look between butt's and if you will help me up I will stand with you and cheer :) It's a football game people not a movie, and I know what I am getting myself into. I HOPE I HAVE TO LOOK AT BACKSIDES ALL YEAR because I have seen enough crap on the field the last 3 years. Seeing people standing & cheering would be a nice change. This debate always gets me fired up, and now that I am handicapped it fires me up even more. Please stand and cheer!!
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 04:37:58 EDT »

Just read that article.......being respectful in the National Anthem is the only Valid point in the whole thing..........I think that LADY NEEDS TO WATCH FROM HER EASY CHAIR.........THAT IS PART OF THE REASON IT HAS BEEN FAIRLY QUIET THE LAST 3-4 YEARS=NO HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE................
NO STANDING...PLEASE SIT QUIETLY AND WATCH THE GAME......and please, no abusive or foul language either...

Go Big Orange.
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 04:38:42 EDT »

Last year, I had a bad auto wreck and can no longer stand very well. I will be in Neyland August 31st and every home game in section L, and if you need to stand the whole game to cheer in front of me please do! I can easily look between butt's and if you will help me up I will stand with you and cheer :) It's a football game people not a movie, and I know what I am getting myself into. I HOPE I HAVE TO LOOK AT BACKSIDES ALL YEAR because I have seen enough crap on the field the last 3 years. Seeing people standing & cheering would be a nice change. This debate always gets me fired up, and now that I am handicapped it fires me up even more. Please stand and cheer!!

Hope so...good to see you back at the OL stompin grounds

Go Big Orange.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 01:48:01 EDT »

Last year, I had a bad auto wreck and can no longer stand very weyou've will be in Neyland August 31st and every home game in section L, and if you need to stand the whole game to cheer in front of me please do! I can easily look between butt's and if you will help me up I will stand with you and cheer :) It's a football game people not a movie, and I know what I am getting myself into. I HOPE I HAVE TO LOOK AT BACKSIDES ALL YEAR because I have seen enough crap on the field the last 3 years. Seeing people standing & cheering would be a nice change. This debate always gets me fired up, and now that I am handicapped it fires me up even more. Please stand and cheer!!

Glad you ve mended well enough to get back to Neyland! 
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 01:50:48 EDT »

Just read that article.......being respectful in the National Anthem is the only Valid point in the whole thing..........

I actually disagree with that point.  I do not think not singing the National Anthem is disrespectful.  Not removing one's hat/cap, yes.  Not placing a hand over one's heart, or offering proper salute, yes (assuming it's not for reasons of disability).  Not standing, absolutely (again, assuming it's not for reasons of disability).  I don't mind if people choose not to sing, and often I'd rather hear the actual singer, which I think can be more respectful than singing off key at the top of one's lungs.

If I have a person or people behind me that I think will be bothered by my standing during the game, I crouch, look between people, etc., unless/until they tell me it doesn't bother them if I stand (which happens more often than not).  It's never been a big issue for as long as I have been attending games (only since the early 1970s).   
tnflower
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 05:23:35 EDT »

The wave and the woo. Two peas in a pod. 

*GASP!* Not do the Woo???? Surely you jest! 
FranklinVol
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2013, 05:54:33 EDT »

IMO the work of a troll who badly needs to run over to Target and pick up a life....
Creek Walker
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2013, 07:02:56 EDT »

*GASP!* Not do the Woo???? Surely you jest! 

The woo must go.
crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2013, 04:36:01 EDT »

I would stand for 3 hrs looking at some wide heffer's butt crack if it meant I could look up at the scoreboard at the end of the 4th qtr and see the last second tick off with UT one point ahead of UGA and S.C 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: