VTTW Board Index
May 10, 2024, 10:32:17 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tablet Advice For My Son & School Needs  (Read 5246 times)
TallVol
Starter

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2013, 05:59:25 EDT »

I know several of you on here are more up to speed on tablets than me.  I am faced with a purchase soon and don't want to break the bank doing it.

Now that my son has reached 3rd grade here in Williamson County, he can now "bring his own technology" to school.  According to the teacher, it will be used for online research during their lessons.  They will not be allowed to play games.  There are a couple of computers offered within the classroom but I would imagine more kids than computers when needed.  I don't want that potential situation to be a learning deterrent during the day. Plus, the peer pressure I hear daily of not having technology at class is already on my nerves.  Not really happy with the school system at the moment.

I have been looking at the 8GB Nextbook with 8" screen and Android Jelly OS (?). It sells for $100 at Wal-Mart.  I am not against my son having games on it for when he is at home.  For the money, and for what it will be used for, is this my best budget buy?  It does have an SD slot to add more storage. 

Thanks for any advice. 
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 06:05:45 EDT »

I am not familiar with the Nextbook, but I think the Kindle Fire HD (7 inch) and Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (7 inch) would be good choices.
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 06:09:42 EDT »

Not sure what the shipping costs would be, but for the Nextbook: http://www.amazon.com/Nextbook-Tablet-Memory-Google-Services/dp/B00CTRVM1S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377101300&sr=8-1&keywords=nextbook.
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 08:23:31 EDT »

A couple of things.  I faced this decision earlier in the year between an Android (AKA Google) and iOs (iPad) and ultimately I choose the iPad due to the data I could read in the trade papers.  This is my observations after doing the research and then buying the iPad.  First of all Apple has done an excellent job of leveraging the technology.  While not inexpensive the iPad is just a better platform from the app perspective.  After using the iPad I can tell you that the system is very easy to use and the browser is not as clunky as the Original Safari browser was a couple of years ago. 

I would recommend the iPad but I do not know what your budget is.  The mini is not a bad buy but I think you will really like the full size iPad and some of the iPad3s and iPad2s are available for just a little more than the Android you are talking about on eBay.

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 08:26:26 EDT »

Is there a particular platform that the teacher or school is using?
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 08:37:52 EDT »

A couple of things.  I faced this decision earlier in the year between an Android (AKA Google) and iOs (iPad) and ultimately I choose the iPad due to the data I could read in the trade papers.  This is my observations after doing the research and then buying the iPad.  First of all Apple has done an excellent job of leveraging the technology.  While not inexpensive the iPad is just a better platform from the app perspective.  After using the iPad I can tell you that the system is very easy to use and the browser is not as clunky as the Original Safari browser was a couple of years ago.  

I would recommend the iPad but I do not know what your budget is.  The mini is not a bad buy but I think you will really like the full size iPad and some of the iPad3s and iPad2s are available for just a little more than the Android you are talking about on eBay.

I have done quite a bit of research on tablets over the past few months too, and no doubt the iPad is the winner if the availability of apps is the end game.  But, the OP indicated that the tablet would be used "for online research" and he is looking for the best "budget buy."  I think even the iPad mini would be overkill, and certainly not any better than the Kindle Fire HD or Galaxy Tab 3 in the 7 inch models.  In fact, the Nextbook may be perfectly fine, and at a much lower cost than an iPad.  Just my "non tech geek" opinion.      The B&N Nook HD might be worth a look too.

http://reviews.cnet.com/2733-3126_7-936-3.html
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 08:39:23 EDT by TheRealOrange » Logged
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 08:57:49 EDT »

I have done quite a bit of research on tablets over the past few months too, and no doubt the iPad is the winner if the availability of apps is the end game.  But, the OP indicated that the tablet would be used "for online research" and he is looking for the best "budget buy."  I think even the iPad mini would be overkill, and certainly not any better than the Kindle Fire HD or Galaxy Tab 3 in the 7 inch models.  In fact, the Nextbook may be perfectly fine, and at a much lower cost than an iPad.  Just my "non tech geek" opinion.      The B&N Nook HD might be worth a look too.

http://reviews.cnet.com/2733-3126_7-936-3.html

TRO

I actually bought one of the Android tablets also.  I have a source at some of the Ham Radio events I attend that sold me a 10" Android Jelly Bean (since I am in the business of programming I was researching this for a client project) and there were lots of apps out there for the android, but I found some OS problems as well.  While this was a non name brand unit it was the same Chinese company that produces the tablets for ASUS and SAMSUNG so I knew the source was ok.  The OS problems were what eventually made the decision for me. 

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 09:23:00 EDT »

I have a Kindle Fire HD 8.9".  It's kind of buggy at times but it suits my needs, which are basically just web browsing and media consumption.  IMO, that's all a tablet is really good for anyway.  If you're looking to use it for productivity purposes, then you don't need a tablet- you need a laptop.

TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 09:52:59 EDT »

I have a Kindle Fire HD 8.9".  It's kind of buggy at times but it suits my needs, which are basically just web browsing and media consumption.  IMO, that's all a tablet is really good for anyway.  If you're looking to use it for productivity purposes, then you don't need a tablet- you need a laptop.

That's what I got for TRObh and it has been great.  I am leaning toward a Google Nexus 7 for myself.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 09:56:45 EDT »

get the iPad. That way you can scarf it when they're not using it for schoolwork. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 03:10:06 EDT »

Try ebay.  An intern of mine last year got a steal on a tablet that way.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
TallVol
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 03:50:34 EDT »

Thanks for all the advice.  I think we will end up with either the Nextbook or the Kindle Fire.  The teacher gives them approved websites to use for Science class studying and upcoming test.  They can also read during some class periods using some school approved apps from the Librarian.   Guess you just can't afford not to have one now in elementary school.  I guess my 3rd grade teacher should have welcomed me to bring my Commodore 64 to class back in the day and I could better relate. 
Orange Rampage
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 05:03:38 EDT »

Just another opinion: I have a Nexus 7" tablet (Made by ASUS for Google) and have had it since release last year. Very inexpensive (249.00 at the time - 8GB for 199.00) and has all but taken the place of my other computers at home. I have never had a problem with it and as far as the inexpensive android tablets go, I would not hesitate to recommend it. It is the 16GB version, but with a USB flash drive dongle I can add more storage space than I need anyway. The 2013 Nexus tablets are out now, and cost a little more. They have been fairly well received, but it has been noted that there is a slight drop in battery life compared to the 2012. This is likely due to redesign to include a rear facing camera.

If I understood your post and the primary user will be a child, I would certainly invest in a good case. There will certainly be drops and other opportunities for damage, so you know how that goes.

I personally don't care much for the limited version of the OS on the Kindle. I bought my wife a Galaxy Tab 2 and she loves it. Especially the SD card reader. The Tab 3 is out now, but i have not had the chance to use one.

Agree with everyone that the iPad is the gold standard, but it is priced accordingly. I support and use them at work and they have a beautiful display and surpisingly good sound for a tablet. For the money and compared with my usage needs, it just isn't worth the cost.

Anyway, just my opinion. http://www.google.com/nexus/7/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: