VTTW Board Index
May 17, 2024, 02:27:48 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UT vs UTM on SEC Network  (Read 1751 times)
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2021, 02:01:48 EST »

UTM giving us some fits.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2021, 02:24:17 EST »

Man this team checks all the boxes on paper.

Elite PG, shooters, size inside, couple of veterans.  Just gotta let it come together.  Gonna be a fun year.  
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2021, 03:16:57 EST »

Decided to play D the second half. 
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2021, 03:33:27 EST »

I watched a bit. Nice looking team, potentially. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2021, 06:40:24 EST »

Struggled the first ten minutes, then played better, then blew them out of the gym in the second half.  Set a team record for 3s, with 17.

Interesting nugget presented during the broadcast is that Bernard King holds the record for most points in his debut, with 42. 

He was such a talent.  Before my time, wish I had been able to see him live.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2021, 04:25:56 EST »

I really wish I'd seen King, and he had a three point line.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2021, 04:28:09 EST »

I really wish I'd seen King, and he had a three point line.
Actually Bernie would have benefited more from the 3 point line.  King was mostly mid range jumpers to the rim.
King's defense has always been under appreciated (Ask Phillips and Roby)

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2021, 04:50:25 EST »

Dr J said Bernard King was the best player he played against. He said King was his nemesis defensively. Plus King could fill the bucket as well. He was fun to watch. So was Ernie.

volsboyinsodak
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2021, 04:54:22 EST »

It's nice to see the Vols shooting well. It was hard to watch last year. This team could do big things. They have some tough games coming up Villanova, NC or Purdue, Colorado, Memphis, Arizona, Texas Tech. That's a pretty challenging non-conference slate.

volsboyinsodak
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2021, 05:37:40 EST »

Can’t say I had “Rick Barnes goes full Paul Westhead” on my 2021 bingo card, but here we are. Will this team continue to shoot this many 3’s, or is this just an early season experiment?

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2021, 05:59:54 EST »

Can’t say I had “Rick Barnes goes full Paul Westhead” on my 2021 bingo card, but here we are. Will this team continue to shoot this many 3’s, or is this just an early season experiment?
The consistent indications is YES they are

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2021, 07:19:45 EST »

Struggled the first ten minutes, then played better, then blew them out of the gym in the second half.  Set a team record for 3s, with 17.

Interesting nugget presented during the broadcast is that Bernard King holds the record for most points in his debut, with 42. 

He was such a talent.  Before my time, wish I had been able to see him live.

I saw him play in Stokely a few times, but I was so young then I was more interested in playing in the Stokely rafters with the other kids there, than I was in watching the game!   

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2021, 08:47:04 EST »

I saw him play in Stokely a few times, but I was so young then I was more interested in playing in the Stokely rafters with the other kids there, than I was in watching the game!   

Yeah.  And you're a year older than me, I was a junior in HS in 83-84.  But mostly I didn't move to Knoxville till 82.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2021, 09:57:49 EST »

Stokely....what memories. 
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2021, 12:11:09 EST »

mr Proffit got me a front row seat under the basket, 2 in from where the VOLS entered the arena
We were playing KY and our point guard from 10 mile KY went off (anybody who witnessed outlet teams from the Mears era knows our point guard didn’t shoot)
Anyway, in the 2nd half Phillips came down on Kings back on a board.  King flight him off into my lap.
Phillips whined to the red, who replied “ you came down on his beach, want me to call a foul on you?”
He shizzle up. Two trips later Grumfield got his once a game charging file on Grevey.  Gravy had a habit of hitting a shot from the right wing and heading up the court while watching the shot.  Ernie would just stand there and let Kevin run over him

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2021, 10:53:37 EST »

mr Proffit got me a front row seat under the basket, 2 in from where the VOLS entered the arena
We were playing KY and our point guard from 10 mile KY went off (anybody who witnessed outlet teams from the Mears era knows our point guard didn’t shoot)
Anyway, in the 2nd half Phillips came down on Kings back on a board.  King flight him off into my lap.
Phillips whined to the red, who replied “ you came down on his beach, want me to call a foul on you?”
He shizzle up. Two trips later Grumfield got his once a game charging file on Grevey.  Gravy had a habit of hitting a shot from the right wing and heading up the court while watching the shot.  Ernie would just stand there and let Kevin run over him

Yikes!  Maybe don't type all that on your phone. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: