VTTW Board Index
May 18, 2024, 07:45:37 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hey Emeril..... a little help, please. (Off topic)  (Read 5150 times)
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2013, 03:29:24 EST »

Two years ago I made some eggnog that had about a half-gallon of whole milk, a quart of heavy cream, 4-5 whole eggs (tempered and cooked to 160*), two fresh vanilla beans, grated nutmeg, unprocessed sugar and nearly a half gallon of Jim Beam. What am I missing? I can't find my recipe, but I had several people who told me they didn't like nog say it was great.

I'm gonna cut the recipe in half and, instead of giving nearly all of it as a gift, only give just a bit of it away. I didn't whip the whites and fold 'em in and I don't think that is necessary. It was my first attempt at nog and it was a great success. I'm pretty sure I have the cooking down, I just think there is something I'm forgetting. Suggestions?

Merry Christmas to you and all!

G
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 03:42:08 EST »

Two years ago I made some eggnog that had about a half-gallon of whole milk, a quart of heavy cream, 4-5 whole eggs (tempered and cooked to 160*), two fresh vanilla beans, grated nutmeg, unprocessed sugar and nearly a half gallon of Jim Beam. What am I missing? I can't find my recipe, but I had several people who told me they didn't like nog say it was great.

I'm gonna cut the recipe in half and, instead of giving nearly all of it as a gift, only give just a bit of it away. I didn't whip the whites and fold 'em in and I don't think that is necessary. It was my first attempt at nog and it was a great success. I'm pretty sure I have the cooking down, I just think there is something I'm forgetting. Suggestions?

G

What I would do is use only the egg yolks in the tempered liquid then temper the egg whites and whip them with some vanilla in the whites prior to the whipping then fold in the soft peaks whipped egg whites (don't do the whites to the stage of meringue) and fold them all in at the end of the whipping process to make the nog nice and fluffy and not as heavy

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 03:53:18 EST »

What I would do is use only the egg yolks in the tempered liquid then temper the egg whites and whip them with some vanilla in the whites prior to the whipping then fold in the soft peaks whipped egg whites (don't do the whites to the stage of meringue) and fold them all in at the end of the whipping process to make the nog nice and fluffy and not as heavy

Okay, buddy. I might have done that, but I certainly don't recall. Do I whip them in a cold bowl like cream or does it matter? No ingredients missing, huh?

Thanks so much!!! Man kiss.....    (Notice it's on the check and not the mouth. I'm don't want you using the tongue!)

G   
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 04:08:41 EST »

Okay, buddy. I might have done that, but I certainly don't recall. Do I whip them in a cold bowl like cream or does it matter? No ingredients missing, huh?

Thanks so much!!! Man kiss.....    (Notice it's on the check and not the mouth. I'm don't want you using the tongue!)

G   

Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 07:06:29 EST »

EmerilVOL
Heisman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 04:26:11 EST »

G   

ingredients all there but do not wip in cold bowl that is for cream whipping just whip them at the temper temperature.  see y'all soon.

EmerilVOL

RockyMtnVol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 04:49:58 EST »

G

KY bourbon?!?!  KEN-TUCK-EE bourbon?!?!  For cryin' out loud, Emeril - you need to catch these faux pais'.... 
EmerilVOL
Heisman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 07:03:21 EST »

KY bourbon?!?!  KEN-TUCK-EE bourbon?!?!  For cryin' out loud, Emeril - you need to catch these faux pais'.... 

Hell I don't piss on anyone''s liquor choices....hell I would have used some really good stuff or something from down near Lynchburg....but he was doing the choosing and hell it had to have something liquorish in there.

EmerilVOL

GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 01:51:28 EST »

Emeril, made some damn good Nog tonight. My vanilla beans had started to dry and I didn't check 'em before starting, but just had to double-up and that worked just fine. Did a test half-mug, about to get serious!

G   
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 02:04:27 EST »

Dang, son! You don't put Tennessee sour mash whiskey in a sweet drink like NOG!!!        We're cooking here!

G
EmerilVOL
Heisman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 07:37:43 EST »

Dang, son! You don't put Tennessee sour mash whiskey in a sweet drink like NOG!!!        We're cooking here!

G

ummmmm i put some good tennessee sour mash in stuff to cut the sweet taste..........

EmerilVOL

EmerilVOL
Heisman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 01:06:42 EST »

Emeril, made some damn good Nog tonight. My vanilla beans had started to dry and I didn't check 'em before starting, but just had to double-up and that worked just fine. Did a test half-mug, about to get serious!

G   

One thing I have found in making all sorts of custards is to take your cream and get it to the just about ready to boil state.....(about 205-210 degrees) then turn the heat off (or remove it from the electric element) and place the opened and scraped vanilla bean in the cream and let it sit covered about 15 minutes...this will intensify the Vanilla flavor tremendously and the tempering liquid does not have to be at boiling to work well.  After letting the vanilla sit pull out the pod then do the rest of the steps in your recipe.  Will work wonders

EmerilVOL

GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 01:59:27 EST »

One thing I have found in making all sorts of custards is to take your cream and get it to the just about ready to boil state.....(about 205-210 degrees) then turn the heat off (or remove it from the electric element) and place the opened and scraped vanilla bean in the cream and let it sit covered about 15 minutes...this will intensify the Vanilla flavor tremendously and the tempering liquid does not have to be at boiling to work well.  After letting the vanilla sit pull out the pod then do the rest of the steps in your recipe.  Will work wonders

I did something similar: I took part of the cream and nuked it, with the beans soaking, to about 185* and let it sit. Used one extra pod to get the flavor I wanted, but it did enhance the flavor to my preference. (Had one more small pod if needed; ended up offering it to the garbage gods.Time to get more.)

I DID end up using sour-mash whiskey; I told a friend I was making nog and was going to use Beam and he told me he was gifted some Evan Williams that he didn't drink. Used that and it worked out well.

I've gained 3 pounds since making it, but no whiskey before 4pm. It is good in the morning coffee!

I appreciate the tips. My recipe is in my storage unit and I was going all by memory. (You know what you get when you look online!!!!). I thought it best to go with tailgate extraodinaire!

Thanks again and Merry Christmas and a fantastic New Year to you and all of yours, Jack.

GreggO
EmerilVOL
Heisman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 07:57:01 EST »

I did something similar: I took part of the cream and nuked it, with the beans soaking, to about 185* and let it sit. Used one extra pod to get the flavor I wanted, but it did enhance the flavor to my preference. (Had one more small pod if needed; ended up offering it to the garbage gods.Time to get more.)

I DID end up using sour-mash whiskey; I told a friend I was making nog and was going to use Beam and he told me he was gifted some Evan Williams that he didn't drink. Used that and it worked out well.

I've gained 3 pounds since making it, but no whiskey before 4pm. It is good in the morning coffee!

I appreciate the tips. My recipe is in my storage unit and I was going all by memory. (You know what you get when you look online!!!!). I thought it best to go with tailgate extraodinaire!

Thanks again and Merry Christmas and a fantastic New Year to you and all of yours, Jack.

GreggO

Was up in Pigeon Forge this past weekend and went over and picked up a new Kitchen Tool at the Five Oaks Tanger Factory Outlet.  I found one of those Infared Laser Thermometers that they use ot measure heat output or cold output from HVAC systems and I got a tip from watching Alton Brown's programs that he was using that type of thermometer to measure the temps of liquids etc.  I found one at Direct Tools Outlet (yeah hardware outlet) for 17.99 so I bought myself one. 

I still suggest heating the cream on the stove rather than the microwave...yeah I know it can boil over it oyu aint careful, but I find that it gets closer to the temp I want on the stove than the microwave. 

Gregg hope you have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. 

EmerilVOL

EmerilVOL

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: