VTTW Board Index
May 04, 2024, 11:35:25 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Since we were talking about The Eagles a few weeks ago...  (Read 2713 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2014, 04:12:37 EST »

I watched "The History of The Eagles" documentary yesterday morning.  Some pretty interesting stuff.  It seems like conflict between Glen and Don Felder was what originally caused them to break up, but ALL of those guys come off sounding like drama queens.  It's a wonder they stayed together for as long as they did.  Even when they reunited, Don and Glen insisted on a bigger share of the royalties than the other guys.  Felder balked, and they moved on without him.

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 04:59:24 EST »

But they didn't break up.  They just took a 14 year vacation.   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 11:38:32 EST »

I watched "The History of The Eagles" documentary yesterday morning.  Some pretty interesting stuff.  It seems like conflict between Glen and Don Felder was what originally caused them to break up, but ALL of those guys come off sounding like drama queens.  It's a wonder they stayed together for as long as they did.  Even when they reunited, Don and Glen insisted on a bigger share of the royalties than the other guys.  Felder balked, and they moved on without him.

Felder?  Really?  Heck, everyone knows Henley and Glen (in that order IMO) were the two biggest Eagles.  Felder was the third banana by a mile...or so I always thought.   I guess he would not agree, but he's probably the only one.  There is no accounting for some people's egos, I guess.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 12:10:12 EST »

Felder?  Really?  Heck, everyone knows Henley and Glen (in that order IMO) were the two biggest Eagles.  Felder was the third banana by a mile...or so I always thought.   I guess he would not agree, but he's probably the only one.  There is no accounting for some people's egos, I guess.
Well, according to the film, Don H. and Glen generally made all of the big decisions, and the others got jealous.  There was a clear division between those two and Felder, Leadon, and (later) Joe Walsh.  TBS and Randy Meisner were the only two who had no ego, apparently.  In fact, Meisner supposedly quit because he didn't think he was good enough (even though he had the greatest vocal range by a mile).  It's a pretty interesting doc- if you're a fan, you should check it out. 

Screaming Eagle Dad
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 03:53:56 EST »

Well, according to the film, Don H. and Glen generally made all of the big decisions, and the others got jealous.  There was a clear division between those two and Felder, Leadon, and (later) Joe Walsh.  TBS and Randy Meisner were the only two who had no ego, apparently.  In fact, Meisner supposedly quit because he didn't think he was good enough (even though he had the greatest vocal range by a mile).  It's a pretty interesting doc- if you're a fan, you should check it out. 

I had read that the reason Meisner quit was because he wanted the band to take a break after 4 solid years of very hard work and nobody else wanted to take a break.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 07:32:41 EST »

Okay, that makes sense.  I also consider Felder to be the "third greatest" based on basically what songs they wrote.  So it would make sense that he would push back, I guess.   To be clear, he was the best of the remaining ORIGINAL Eagles...I believe both Meisner and Walsh were later additions.  Both of whom, particularly Walsh, are probably more talented than Felder.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 05:20:12 EST »

I REALLY liked the early Eagles stuff; Desperado & On the Border were huge albumns to me.

I can remember telling folks in the later years how the Eagles were better when they had a banjo and steel guitar; they didn't believe me that was ever part of the band. I absolutely hated Witchy Woman and it took years for me to fully appreciate Hotel (which I now believe is a classic).

I think I saw the band in the '70s at Stokely, but those years are a little hazy. Was thinking it was with Linda Rondstat, but she did a show with Jackson Brown. Like I said, a little hazy.

G
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: