VTTW Board Index
May 13, 2024, 06:30:18 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So if Clemson was playing Bama tomorrow would Lawrence be playing or would  (Read 2614 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2020, 10:32:47 EDT »

they cancel the game?  How about if it's a playoff game?

volsboyinsodak
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 11:56:53 EDT »

What if Clemson loses tomorrow without Lawrence? Would it be fair to keep them out of the playoff if they win the rest of their games with him playing? That's something to ponder.

volsboyinsodak
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 04:09:08 EDT »

I have always heard "next man up". I don't see why this approach should not be used in this scenario.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 10:47:06 EST »

I have always heard "next man up". I don't see why this approach should not be used in this scenario.
Dang. Their next man up did pretty well. Can't we just find one QB? All the elite teams seem to have two or three. Not a coincidence.

volsboyinsodak
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 12:23:19 EST »

Clemson's backup true freshman throws 41 times for 330 yards without Spring practice...Summer workouts and limited camp. We have Gitmo that hasn't improved in 5 years and backups tha's been on campus 2 and going on 3 years for Shrout and that can't get on the field. Pitiful and coaching malpractice.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 12:33:40 EST »

Clemson's backup true freshman throws 41 times for 330 yards without Spring practice...Summer workouts and limited camp. We have Gitmo that hasn't improved in 5 years and backups tha's been on campus 2 and going on 3 years for Shrout and that can't get on the field. Pitiful and coaching malpractice.

JG has improved.  At times he has played very well in fact.  He's just very inconsistent.

Agree that I am also puzzled at seeming lack of replacement, but then again, last year Pruitt/Chaney were quick to pull him out.  He then did well in relief.  It's  a puzzler, but let's see what happens the rest of the way.

If JG throws an early stupid int vs. Arkansas, he dam well better find the bench. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 03:34:41 EST »

JG has improved.  At times he has played very well in fact.  He's just very inconsistent.

Agree that I am also puzzled at seeming lack of replacement, but then again, last year Pruitt/Chaney were quick to pull him out.  He then did well in relief.  It's  a puzzler, but let's see what happens the rest of the way.

If JG throws an early stupid int vs. Arkansas, he dam well better find the bench.  

Making the same mistakes he made 4-3-2 years ago is not improvement. He has his blind squirrel moments but I can find umpteen NAIA QB's that can do the same. Saying he has improved is like saying a case of the claps doesn't burn today as bad as yesterday.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 06:23:00 EST by Tnphil » Logged
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2020, 04:15:40 EST »

I honestly feel bad for JG. The kid has heart. I don't know how he takes all the criticism. I would have thrown in the towel long ago. For that reason he will always be a VFL for me. Until we get an elite QB, which we obviously don't have, we should expect to continue to be irrelevant. How many games remaining on our schedule will we be the favorite? Vandy?

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2020, 04:26:22 EST »

Making the same mistakes he made 4-3-2 years ago is not improvement. He has his blind squirrel moments but I can find umpteen NAIA QB's that can do the same. Saying he has improved is like saying a case of the claps doesn't burn today as bad as yesterday.

I get your point, but there were games in the 8 game streak where he played well and was the difference in winning.  He just can't do it consistently.  Not arguing that he isn't a problem, he is, but saying he's not any better than he was as a true frosh is defintely a reach, lol.

We can agree that he is nowhere near where he should be and that his continuing brain farts are the problem.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2020, 04:27:19 EST »

I honestly feel bad for JG. The kid has heart. I don't know how he takes all the criticism. I would have thrown in the towel long ago. For that reason he will always be a VFL for me. Until we get an elite QB, which we obviously don't have, we should expect to continue to be irrelevant. How many games remaining on our schedule will we be the favorite? Vandy?

Literally per the ESPN RPI, we are an underdog to everyone but Vandy. It's pretty large in most cases, but we are 43% to beat Arkansas.  FWIW.

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2020, 05:22:13 EST »

Literally per the ESPN RPI, we are an underdog to everyone but Vandy. It's pretty large in most cases, but we are 43% to beat Arkansas.  FWIW.
That's what I thought. I can't help but blame coaching. I really don't want another Franks led team to beat us this week either. Something tells me we win Saturday. Just like something told me the Bengals would beat the Titans. I think it was crappy pass defense that made me think Bengals would win.

volsboyinsodak
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2020, 05:33:37 EST »

I get your point, but there were games in the 8 game streak where he played well and was the difference in winning.  He just can't do it consistently.  Not arguing that he isn't a problem, he is, but saying he's not any better than he was as a true frosh is defintely a reach, lol.

We can agree that he is nowhere near where he should be and that his continuing brain farts are the problem.

He didn't play as a true freshman.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2020, 07:06:06 EST »

Did he play well against UGa, Bama and UF? He beat teams Tennessee teams should beat. He still has another chance this year to beat UF. I'm not holding my breath.

volsboyinsodak
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2020, 09:18:21 EST »

Here is how much Gitmo has improved in his 5th Senior year:

Offense 3rd down conversion %

1. Texas A and M ---- 58.7 %
2. Alabama ---- 57.4
3. Ole Miss ---- 52.4
4. Auburn ---- 49.4
5. Florida ---- 48.8
6. Ga ---- 46.7
7. Ky ---- 45.1
8. Mo. ---- 42.1
9. SC ---- 40.6
10. Vandy ----39.0
11. LSU ---- 33.3
12. Miss St. ---- 32.5
13. Arky ---- 31.9
14. Tenn ---- 25.7

This is who we are ahead of nationwide on 3rd down conversion %

U. Mass
UNLV
Syracuse
UL Monroe
Kansas
Illinois
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 11:22:52 EST by Tnphil » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2020, 12:55:44 EST »

He didn't play as a true freshman.

Okay RS freshman.  Happy?   

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2020, 05:52:08 EST »

JG has improved.  At times he has played very well in fact.  He's just very inconsistent.

Agree that I am also puzzled at seeming lack of replacement, but then again, last year Pruitt/Chaney were quick to pull him out.  He then did well in relief.  It's  a puzzler, but let's see what happens the rest of the way.

So yay or neigh...is Pruitt the one to lead us to a SECE Championship ever? If not. Why keep him around? That is what any UT coach should strive for.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2020, 10:40:30 EST »

So yay or neigh...is Pruitt the one to lead us to a SECE Championship ever? If not. Why keep him around? That is what any UT coach should strive for.

Wow, you won't let go of this.

I think we have to see how the rest of the season plays out, and also next season. 

And it's "nay".  I'm not a horse.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2020, 11:33:47 EST »

So yay or neigh...

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2020, 11:46:37 EST »

lol.......how long does he get? 

volsboyinsodak
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2020, 12:09:42 EST »

IMO, you can't begin to make an intelligent assessment on that until the end of next season, at the earliest.  COVID really throws a fizzleing wrench in the whole works and mucks everything up.  Obviously, I am starting to have my doubts.  But I will wait and see where we are late next year.  I ain't expecting much.  But I am still expecting boatloads of talent to keep flowing in.    We have been doing OK in that dept, I guess.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: