VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 03:37:09 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aren't these bowl games great today?........  (Read 616 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2023, 11:30:49 EST »

No.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2023, 04:29:39 EST »

Something has got to be done. The opt-outs and NIL are killing college football post season. If you aren't in the playoff why bother with the bowl games. I haven't watched any part of them. The should not open the transfer portal until the summer. If you opt out of a postseason game, you forfeit all NIL money. There, I fixed it. Now with 12 playoff teams, the bowl games are even less important as well as all the late season games. All the teams that just missed the playoff will be in it next year. 6 teams is plenty for a playoff. If you are ranked 8 thru 12, you've already proven you are not one of the best teams. I'm not one of the types that think it would be cool to see a 9-3 team make the playoff and win it. We know they are not the best team. Regular season means nothing then.

volsboyinsodak
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2023, 04:56:40 EST »

In my view, the bowls are reaping what they sowed and what they deserve. For years, the bowls prevented any kind of championship game until money interests greater than them prevailed.

On one hand, I used to enjoy bowl season because the games were interesting even though, quite frankly, they never really meant anything. On the other hand, the bowls stood in the way of a real champion and the games were jury rigged to insure the chambers of commerce for the bowl cities received a match-up that guaranteed a good amount of TV viewers and visiting tourists. 

Now, with 12 teams, the bowls will be semi-relevant again, although some of them will continue to be subject to the lack of excitement of games such as South Florida versus Syracuse.
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2023, 04:51:59 EST »

I am old fashion. I wish they would have kept the old bowl format and just play another National Championship game 2 weeks after the bowls. Place the #1 and #2 teams from the final polls and let them play for the title. My age is showing.   
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2023, 09:26:18 EST »

I'll give Kirby Smart props...In his post game presser he said FSU should never be put in that position and he said he felt for the FSU players on the other side that were playing with a depleted team..

Also...IMO, FSU could have done a better job keeping their team together for unfinished business. I'm also old school and can't stand players turning their backs on their team and teammates...They can get hurt or killed in a car wreck....or at a New Years Eve party tonight. Needs to be a clause in this NIL crap....you opt out you don't get your money.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2023, 11:50:29 EST »

In the old BCS and the current CFP system, I always felt that a team that did not win their conference championship should have been excluded from the playoffs. (I know that it does not pertain to this season, but it has happened in the past.)

I am excited about this new 12-team playoff. I look forward to seeing how it will play out. I think that more meaningful football games is always a good thing.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2024, 07:59:06 EST »

In the old BCS and the current CFP system, I always felt that a team that did not win their conference championship should have been excluded from the playoffs. (I know that it does not pertain to this season, but it has happened in the past.)

I am excited about this new 12-team playoff. I look forward to seeing how it will play out. I think that more meaningful football games is always a good thing.
I disagree. It's about the 4 best teams getting in. Why can't one conference not have 2 of the top 4 teams? If both teams are ranked in the top 4 and the loser of the SECCg could still be one of the 4 best. Don't you think many SEC teams are probably better than other conferences champions. Well, after this year it won't matter. Could make all those big end of season games meaningless. All the top 12 schools would make it.

volsboyinsodak
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2024, 08:49:01 EST »

I disagree. It's about the 4 best teams getting in. Why can't one conference not have 2 of the top 4 teams? If both teams are ranked in the top 4 and the loser of the SECCg could still be one of the 4 best. Don't you think many SEC teams are probably better than other conferences champions. Well, after this year it won't matter. Could make all those big end of season games meaningless. All the top 12 schools would make it.

That?s fine, but picking the ?4 best teams? is a completely subjective process. There?s nothing objective about it. It completely relies on opinion and perception.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2024, 08:54:47 EST »

You are the guy who keeps posting about regular season games becoming meaningless, yet you were likely in favor of keeping FSU out of the CFP while at the same time allowing both Bama and UGA to play (both with 1-loss). Seems a touch hypocritical to me.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2024, 09:10:51 EST »

You are the guy who keeps posting about regular season games becoming meaningless, yet you were likely in favor of keeping FSU out of the CFP while at the same time allowing both Bama and UGA to play (both with 1-loss). Seems a touch hypocritical to me.
FSU is not a top 4 team without their QB. It makes a difference. How many of these playoff teams do you think they are better than or would be favored over. I don't think they beat them even with their #1 QB playing. But like you said it is subjective.

volsboyinsodak
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2024, 09:32:10 EST »

FSU is not a top 4 team without their QB. It makes a difference. How many of these playoff teams do you think they are better than or would be favored over. I don't think they beat them even with their #1 QB playing. But like you said it is subjective.
In what year were the 4 best teams ever in the CFP? Tough to say, because it is purely subjective, but I would be willing to bet that if you go back through the history, there was always at least one team that in hindsight did not belong.

My view is that FSU earned the right to compete through their regular season (which you claim will become meaningless in the 12 team playoff - I disagree there also, btw) and conference championship. The committee agreed, btw, until the final weekend.

Addendum: After the Tennessee game today, is Michigan one of the best 4? The Wolverines had 213 yards of offense against this Iowa defense. See, it is  all just subjective.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 10:32:36 EST by JeffCountyVolFan » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: